Hooking up speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hooking up speakers

tullymars
08-23-2004, 09:38 AM
I have a denon receiver that doesnt have sub outs,so i run my speaker wire to a powered sub then out of the sub to my main speakers (2channell) well I bought me an amp,the receiver does have pre outs,i need advice on how to hook the speakers up using the amp,should i run them the same way,or would it be any better if i ran the sub off the receiver and run my main speakers off the amp...this is my first amp so i need some input...thanx

Uptown Audio
08-23-2004, 10:20 AM
If it was suggested to you buy your dealer to buy an amp to run a powered sub, then you should consider switching dealers. You have a couple options. My favorite would be to trade the receiver in towards the purchase of a nice preamp and use the new amp and preamp combo. Forget surround and go for quality sound. You can then run the sub from the preamp outputs.
Next, you could run your sub from your receivers preamp outputs and return the unused power amp.
There are other options, but it gets quite detailed. In general, you need to decide what you want to do. If you want an inexpensive surround sound system, then go with the second suggestion. If you want better sound, then go with the first and consult another dealer on trading-in all of the surround speakers towards the purchase of one really nice pair of speakers. There is a difference between quantity and quality. You will have to find that or have someone who knows the difference guide you.

tullymars
08-23-2004, 10:58 AM
No I'm not going for surround,I bought a two channell amp to see if it would improve anything,my receiver is two channell,100wpc,the amp is 225wpc,I thought it would be an improvement,Im going to use the receiver as a preamp,and it will also power my outdoor speakers.I run the sub off the speaker jacks of the receiver,because it doesnt have the sub outputs,I was unaware I could run the sub off the preouts of the receiver...anywho,Im going to run my two speakers off the amp,which will be hooked to the preouts of the receiver,should I run the sub off the receiver,it is powered and has speaker level inputs,and outputs,the speaker wire runs from the receiver to the sub,then out to thmy polks,it works great sounds great,but would it be better if I ran the sub off the receiver (speaker jacks) and the polks off the amp alone?

This Guy
08-23-2004, 11:01 AM
No you'd just be wasting your time. It would sound the same.

-joey

tullymars
08-23-2004, 05:27 PM
Could you be more specific...in which way are you reffering to

This Guy
08-23-2004, 06:00 PM
My bad, I think I misread your post. Here's how I would do it. Connect your new amp to the receivers pre-outs. Than from the new amp, connect the sub using the speaker level inputs, than the outputs go to your Polks (just like how you had it, but you're using your amp.)

-Joey

tullymars
08-23-2004, 08:59 PM
Understood,thats how I'll do it...thanx

topspeed
08-23-2004, 09:12 PM
Another way to do this is to use a Y splitter off the pre-outs of your reciever (before you get to the new amp) and connect one set of RCA's to the powered sub. I preferred doing this with my two channel separates rig as the main's received their signal via the shorter, cleaner path straight from the amp instead of winding their way throught the speaker level in/out of the sub. The shorter your signal has to travel, the better off you are.

Hope this helps.

46minaudio
08-24-2004, 05:38 AM
Another way to do this is to use a Y splitter off the pre-outs of your reciever (before you get to the new amp) and connect one set of RCA's to the powered sub. I preferred doing this with my two channel separates rig as the main's received their signal via the shorter, cleaner path straight from the amp instead of winding their way throught the speaker level in/out of the sub. The shorter your signal has to travel, the better off you are.

Hope this helps.
Agreed,this will also allow the user to use the adjustable Xover in the sub..How ever there will be an overlap because the mains are getting a full range signal..He can either build or by a ext Xover for his mains...

topspeed
08-24-2004, 08:49 AM
Agreed,this will also allow the user to use the adjustable Xover in the sub..How ever there will be an overlap because the mains are getting a full range signal..He can either build or by a ext Xover for his mains...
Although we're assuming his mains are full range, which few speakers are. My mains roll off around 35hz, which isn't exactly subterranean. Couldn't the poster just check his spec's and set the sub's x-over to the roll-off point or slightly higher (depending on room acoustics, slope, yadayadayada)?

46minaudio
08-24-2004, 09:41 AM
Although we're assuming his mains are full range, which few speakers are. My mains roll off around 35hz, which isn't exactly subterranean. Couldn't the poster just check his spec's and set the sub's x-over to the roll-off point or slightly higher (depending on room acoustics, slope, yadayadayada)?
Yea he could,but his mains are still trying to reproduce the full range signal(depending on where his mians roll off at).Here is a link of a shoot out where 2 Speakers were compared.The manufacture of the bookshelf with sub chimes in about using his speakers running full range plus the sub...And why its better to run them crossed over..
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=206349&perpage=30&display=&pagenumber=11

topspeed
08-24-2004, 12:11 PM
Holy schnikies! Sorry bro, there's no way I'm going to wade through 15 plus pages of what appears to be an internet speaker love-fest. I'll just take you're word for it ;)