The "post-rock" label [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The "post-rock" label

mad rhetorik
12-07-2003, 08:50 AM
Over the past year or so I've noticed the "post-rock" label thrown around a lot. Bands like Godspeed You Black Emperor, Mogwai, Sigur Ros, A Silver Mt. Zion, etc. that have this whole instrumental soft ambient-to-loud crescendo thing going on. The only one I own thus far is Sigur Ros' ( ) which is like a mix of Cocteau Twins and My Bloody Valentine.

Why is it called "post-rock?" It sounds more like a sect of progressive rock to my ear, or experimental ambient (sort of like Eno records with conventional instruments replacing the synthesizers, if that makes any sense). Does anyone know what industry wag started the trend of calling it "post-rock?"

On a related note, if there are any Godspeed fans in the audience, which album do you see as their best?

Davey.
12-07-2003, 09:24 AM
Why is it called "post-rock?"
I made a post-rock comp a coupla years or so ago and wrote out a description for it that kind of answers your question and shows some other examples. It's posted at http://members.mailaka.net/davey/dbicomps.htm#Rock_Is_Dead_1

There's a couple later versions listed as well with the same core songs but some alternate tracks around them. Not a comprehensive collection, but some of my favorites.

Dusty Chalk
12-07-2003, 10:42 AM
On a related note, if there are any Godspeed fans in the audience, which album do you see as their best?Most people would answer with Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven, but I prefer F# A# (infinity).

Troy
12-07-2003, 11:34 AM
Why is it called "post-rock?" It sounds more like a sect of progressive rock to my ear, or experimental ambient (sort of like Eno records with conventional instruments replacing the synthesizers, if that makes any sense). Does anyone know what industry wag started the trend of calling it "post-rock?"

I also see it as an offshoot of progressive rock as well.

God forbid they would call it progressive, or no one would buy it and the reviewers would hate it. They call it "Post Rock" because it sounds cool.

Popular culture seem to be cycling into a phase of dense and complicated and art-y prog-type rock music now as a backlash to the simplistic rap and pop divas we've had to live with for the past 10 years. It's all a big slowly turning circle, isn't it?

Neet!

Prefuse
12-08-2003, 12:21 AM
By far, in my opinion, the most coherent Godspeed record was the Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada EP.

If you dig this kinda stuff, you may also want to check out Explosions in the Sky.