Arcam or Quad Vs. Denon [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Arcam or Quad Vs. Denon

DRPJE
12-07-2003, 08:03 AM
I am thinking of upgrading my system and need advice. I currently own the following: Denon 3802 receiver, Denon 2800 DVD player, and the B&W CDM-1NT speakers. I initially thought that I would use the system for home theater which is why I chose Denon. I have found myself listening more to CD's and using my system for home theater very seldom. I have the option to upgrade to an Arcam AVR 100 AV receiver and dedicated CD player or the new Quad 99 Series CD player, pre and power amp. Would the Arcam or Quad sound better with the B&W speakers than the Denon. Does a dedicated CD player sound better than a CD/DVD player for listening to CD's? What would be a good dedicated CD player to go with the Arcam receiver for under $1,500. Thanks

Geoffcin
12-07-2003, 08:26 AM
While I can't comment on the other gear, I will tell you that Arcam makes some of the best CD players out there. It's surprising how much a difference a quality CD player can make, especially if your other equipment if first rate. I have no hesitation recommending an Arcam Diva 72, or if you have the money, the CD92, which will take you about as good as it gets before you really have to shell out big $$$ to make a difference.

psonic
12-08-2003, 12:57 AM
I would say keep the CDM-1NT and go with the pre-power 2ch setup, I just moved on from a HK 5.1 receiver to a NAD integraded. The performance gain was far more than I expected...even movies are very good because of the clean power available to the speakers...with those B&W's you have not seen anything yet, they will really sing

topspeed
12-09-2003, 02:28 PM
I have the option to upgrade to an Arcam AVR 100 AV receiver and dedicated CD player or the new Quad 99 Series CD player, pre and power amp. Would the Arcam or Quad sound better with the B&W speakers than the Denon. Does a dedicated CD player sound better than a CD/DVD player for listening to CD's? What would be a good dedicated CD player to go with the Arcam receiver for under $1,500. Thanks

Yes, either the Arcam or Quad will sound a lot better than the Denon.
It's debatable whether or not a great cd/dvd (or universal) play sounds better/worse than a dedicated cd player.

One more option would be to add a two channel amp (using the Denon as pre/pro) or integrated with a theater bypass to your existing system. This way, you would still have a home theater when you need it yet bypass the weak Denon amps for music. When you drive the CDM's with quality amplification, you're going to be floored by how good they can sound. If you like them now, you'll love them by time you're done! I had my 3803 driving a full CDM NT ht setup and had the same problem. When I added a 2 channel amp, the difference was absolutely stunning. As in a totally different system stunning. The B&W's simply demand quality amps.

Good luck

manek
01-14-2004, 12:20 AM
Yes, either the Arcam or Quad will sound a lot better than the Denon.
It's debatable whether or not a great cd/dvd (or universal) play sounds better/worse than a dedicated cd player.

One more option would be to add a two channel amp (using the Denon as pre/pro) or integrated with a theater bypass to your existing system. This way, you would still have a home theater when you need it yet bypass the weak Denon amps for music. When you drive the CDM's with quality amplification, you're going to be floored by how good they can sound. If you like them now, you'll love them by time you're done! I had my 3803 driving a full CDM NT ht setup and had the same problem. When I added a 2 channel amp, the difference was absolutely stunning. As in a totally different system stunning. The B&W's simply demand quality amps.

Good luck

They are right....there is no substitute for a dedicated cd-player and a dedicated two channel amp. Your speakers are very good so you must give them good amplification and a good source. Mind you denon is not bad at all.
I would again definately recommend arcam for cd as well as the amp but arcam sound is a bit mellow, sometimes bordering onto being dark and gloomy. excellent sound quality and reliability is very good.

The quad is also very good but they do have some chinese oldings and i dont know how much that will affect the end product. The quad gives good sound too.

psyopwak
01-15-2004, 05:02 PM
I picked up the ARCAM CD72t recently. A very noticable and pleasing sound upgrade
from my Onkyo DVD/CD player. I highly reccomend the 72t. I am re-listening to all my
CD's to hear sounds I never knew where there.

WAK

RGA
01-15-2004, 07:04 PM
I would not necessarily jump for the Arcam Receiver - it's out of date now and so is the AVR200. It's still a compromise on music and Arcam is a bit behind the times on surround sound. There cd players are good so are a lot of others for a bit less money that are just as good.

Quad is a bit overrated - do look around. I would lean Quad of the two though.

You should also post your question over on the amp forum here http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/amp/bbs.html It's more of a high end forum so you can get a larger wealth of suggestions. There are many many very solid choices to be made including tube designs that are actully cheaper than the Quad and Arcam options that may be better.

The Audio Refinement Complete is a nice unit for the CDM 1NT. Audio Refinement is made by YBA and the integrated is pretty close to the YBA Integre DT integrated that reatails for $2500.00US. The Complete is under 1kUS. The Audio Refinement is just an example of something the I personally think thumps the Arcam Diva 85 which is nearly double the price and a brand that is not discussed here much at all. http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/srajan01.htm

The Sugden A21a is perhaps the best sounding SS amplification device under 2k US(around $1500.00) and will easily power your B&W.

Personally the A21a is one of the best solid state amps for treble smoothness. Pure class A, well built and has been selling since 1989. None of this change the model every 3 years. Good amps that are done right the first time around don't need changes. The Sugden A21 has been selling since the 1960s and has had 2 changes in that time. Due to newer material they could increase the power from 10 to 25 watts and a new more rugged chassis.(this was done in 1989). The new addition is called the Masterclass Integrated which retails for around 3000GBpounds has a remote is 33 watts but is still the same topology...needless to say both amps continually get the highest marks from almost all publications for sonics. All hand built in England. http://www.audiosynergy.co.uk/a21arev.htm
http://www.jesugden.co.uk/newpage1.htm

These are two examples of lesser known wonderful amplifiers for relatively cheap prices in the world of high end. The folks at Audio Asylum may have several others that go under most people's radar because they are companies that don't spend more on advertising than they do on the design and parts quality.