Speakers Pop when power is turned on! help! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speakers Pop when power is turned on! help!

RorySwann
08-22-2004, 03:38 PM
For some reason, my speakers pop when i turn my amp on. The main driver goes out a frightning amount, something is deffinatly not right about them. This started when i changed the hi-fi to a different location in the room, and all i did was to clean the interconnects, new speaker cable and thats all. Anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks

Geoffcin
08-22-2004, 06:38 PM
For some reason, my speakers pop when i turn my amp on. The main driver goes out a frightning amount, something is deffinatly not right about them. This started when i changed the hi-fi to a different location in the room, and all i did was to clean the interconnects, new speaker cable and thats all. Anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks

The speaker wires. It sounds like you've got a short somewhere.

topspeed
08-22-2004, 10:50 PM
This is actually pretty common. If you didn't have this problem before, I'd try switching the outlet that you are plugging your amp into. Also, make sure nothing else is plugged into that outlet or on the same line. Sometimes there are too many things running off the same line and you'll get noise.

RorySwann
08-23-2004, 05:02 AM
Thanks but ive checked and tried all those things, made no difference. I just cant think what could be doing it. Do you think it is damaging the speakers in anyway, bearing in mind that the driver moves out a lot!

Resident Loser
08-23-2004, 05:54 AM
...switching transients, i.e."turn on thumps" can be caused by a number of things, it might be AC line polarity...if your gear doesn't have "keyed"(read: different sized) blades on the line cord plugs, you can simply try reversing them...of course if you have grounded male connectors, that can't be done...and BTW, while we are on the subject, if you do have grounded plugs, please don't tell me you clipped off the ground pin!!!

You can go to the home center and purchase an AC outlet tester that can tell you, usually with LEDs, whether or not the outlet is wired correctly...or if it's grounded properly, etc. Check out HD or Lowes website or simply visit the store. If you find some discrepancy through this testing, unless you are comfortable working with 120vac and know what you are doing, I would leave any required adjustments/alterations to a qualified, licensed electrician.

Given the amount of driver excursion you describe, I doubt that it's an inductive probelm(no guarantee it isn't), but it's always good practice to separate your power and signal wiring...never run them in parallel and within proximity of each other and if they must cross, do so at 90degree angles.

The cheap, down and dirty alternative is...if you have a speaker selector switch, set it for "off" or an unused setting before powering up...it's only a band-aid, but you can do it 'til you can verify the existence of any power problems.

And on a safety note, checking AC receptacles is simply a good policy, especially if you have older appliances...a relative of mine had an old toaster with a non keyed AC plug...also had a terrazzo(sp?) floor in the kitchen...It was never left plugged in(another good practice) I discovered the hard way, unless you plugged it in "properly"...if you made toast barefoot...zapp!!! a little surprise...most likely a defect or something went awry over the years(it was an oldie)...needless to say the old Proctor was replaced(I don't dislike my mother-in-law THAT much!)...electricity is something you don't wanna' be casual with.

BTW, a short, is a short, is a short...when they come and go, intermittent is the term, they usually leave a calling card...death and destruction...something no longer works as it once did...protection is activated...fuses pop...output transformers go south...that sort of thing...I've never seen drivers wobble as a result of them...

jimHJJ(...speaker wires?...I don't think so...)

RorySwann
08-23-2004, 10:57 AM
thanks for all your help, i ended up taking it back to the place i bought it from. They tested it with a lot of testing gadgets and said it was irrapairable, sounds a bit over the top for a loud pop when you turn it on, but there you go. They replaced it with a brand new amp, same model. Well.... again, thanks for help, ive gota get this amp run in now.

pelly3s
08-23-2004, 04:45 PM
one thing you want to always remember in any system the amp should be the last thing turned on and the first thing turned off. its prevents pops from anything hooked into the system

brigrizzme
08-23-2004, 04:49 PM
I agree with pelly3s. If you find nothing after troubleshooting you may try using a line conditioner with a delay.