Bose h.theater sys question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bose h.theater sys question

odhu
08-22-2004, 02:43 PM
Hi folks, I have less experience with electronics stuff.
I saw a bose lifestyle 28 home theater system on sale for 1k, thought it was good price. (was it?). The store guy said it doesnt have progressive scan dvd, just the regular type and might cause grains on hdtv display while watching DVD. I dont have an hdtv, but plan to have one soon. I have a seperate DVD player with progressive scan.
My question is, if I get this bose lifestyle 28 system which doesnt have progrssive scan , and an hdtv, will I be able to hookup my progressive scan DVD player to the bose receiver and watch DVD's without grains on HDTV ?

Thanks for your replies in advance.

This Guy
08-22-2004, 03:32 PM
before you go any further...do a search on Bose in these forums, hell any audio forums and tell me what you think.

magictooth
08-22-2004, 04:06 PM
Most people on this site and any of the other audio related sites will tell you that Bose is a big waste of money even at 50-75% off the regular retail. You can do a lot better than Bose especially if you've got $1k to spend. A decent progressive scan DVD like Toshiba SD-3960 is only $60-70 at Walmart. A good receiver and speakers that will put to shame anything that Bose has to offer can also be had for less than $1k.

N. Abstentia
08-22-2004, 05:04 PM
If you can get the Bose for what it's actually worth ($50 max) then go for it.

Otherwise, stay far far away from Bose.

motiram
08-22-2004, 05:11 PM
Hehe, anytime we come up with Bose, this is wat u get. Bose is given 0, from 0 to 10 scale. I never heard to any home theatre systems, with great interest. But I am sure, since everybody is saying NO, I will say NO. And u shud try it b4 u get one, try Bose and try something else like Athena or Klipsch before u get Bose, which I am trying to do too :)

kexodusc
08-22-2004, 05:12 PM
odhu: the folks above just saved you alot of money!!!

Bryan
08-23-2004, 05:17 AM
If you are not going to use multiple video sources then connect the dvd player directly to the tv. Running it through a receiver offers no benefit. If you have three or four video sources (dvd player, two game consoles, vcr, cable or satellite, etc.) then you may want to plug them into a receiver and then run one connection from the receiver to the tv. Here it is a case of direct is best.

What you can do is buy a receiver, such as Denon, Yamaha, Marantz, etc., and a speaker package, such as the Energy Take 5, Gallo Micro, HSU Ventriloquist/STF-2 or VTF-2 combo, Rocket Tyke, etc. You will end up with a better sounding package and something that will serve you better in the long run. Bose is name recognition only. If you enjoy the Bose sound after auditioning products from Paradigm, PSB, B&W, etc., then go with the Bose. However, do not buy the Bose and think it is the best out there for that is far from the case. For direct comparison purposes for price and performance, the Rocket Tyke/Kenwood 7100 system will outperform the Bose Lifestyle 28 at about 1/2 the cost. As you already have a dvd player, the included one in the Lifestyle system does not matter.

Woochifer
08-23-2004, 10:48 AM
This is case of shopping for a deal rather than trying to get a decent product for a decent price. The Lifestyle 28 is a ripoff at its $2,500+ list price, and cutting the price down to $1,000 unfortunately does not make it any better. The issue with the Lifestyle series is that it's designed for convenience, not performance. If it's most important to you to have everything integrated into a single box and look pretty in the living room, then the Lifestyle system should be considered. If you're willing to compromise the looks and go with less attractive separate components in order to get higher performance, then the Lifestyle is an unacceptable compromise. If you get a separate progressive scan DVD player, the Lifestyle will not be able to switch the component video outputs, which you want in order to get the highest picture resolution from the DVD player.

Mathew J
08-23-2004, 12:09 PM
What you can do is buy a receiver, such as Denon, Yamaha, Marantz, etc., and a speaker package, such as the Energy Take 5, Gallo Micro, HSU Ventriloquist/STF-2 or VTF-2 combo, Rocket Tyke, etc. You will end up with a better sounding package and something that will serve you better in the long run. Bose is name recognition only. If you enjoy the Bose sound after auditioning products from Paradigm, PSB, B&W, etc., then go with the Bose. However, do not buy the Bose and think it is the best out there for that is far from the case. For direct comparison purposes for price and performance, the Rocket Tyke/Kenwood 7100 system will outperform the Bose Lifestyle 28 at about 1/2 the cost. As you already have a dvd player, the included one in the Lifestyle system does not matter.

Hey Bryan, while I am not comparing like for like as I was looking for sub 1k systems, the problem I find is that generally the options like you suggested short of the tykes are all either equal in price or far more expensive and generally harder to find especially for an audition....

Combine that with the fact that there are dissenting opinions of all the micro systems and your choice gets even harder. I myself was very interested in the size and appearance of the Bose Acoustimass 6 system and the price was within my budget, however upon reading sites like this many have suggested Energy, Moderant Short, Mirage, Gallo and HSU as better alternatives however all of those are generally as expensive if not alot more in the case of the Mirage, Energy, Gallos, and Moderant ...harder to find as in the Energy, HSU, Moderant, Mirage and Gallo...or as in the case of the Energy and HSU people aren't pleased with the performance....the only readily available kit was the Athena micras and while that is at a comparable (slightly less) price their performance has also been called into question....

I have listened to a few of these systems and as far as I can tell they all sound pretty much on par, I have also been told that the micro systems all suck to a certain degree and the only way to get "good" sound is from a larger speaker, which is something that I personally am not eager to do....

I have seen some JBL kits which were attractive along with Polk and Boston but overall opinions of these brands haven't been overly favorable and with the Polk and Boston systems the price is again exactly the same as the Bose 6....I would love to see a truly less expensive system, the only viable option was the Rocket Tykes but I have serious reservations on buying speakers without demoing them first...even though av123 has an excellent return I would still eat the shipping cost, and I wasn't too keen on their looks...

Thanks

odhu
08-25-2004, 07:05 PM
Hey Bryan, while I am not comparing like for like as I was looking for sub 1k systems, the problem I find is that generally the options like you suggested short of the tykes are all either equal in price or far more expensive and generally harder to find especially for an audition....

Combine that with the fact that there are dissenting opinions of all the micro systems and your choice gets even harder. I myself was very interested in the size and appearance of the Bose Acoustimass 6 system and the price was within my budget, however upon reading sites like this many have suggested Energy, Moderant Short, Mirage, Gallo and HSU as better alternatives however all of those are generally as expensive if not alot more in the case of the Mirage, Energy, Gallos, and Moderant ...harder to find as in the Energy, HSU, Moderant, Mirage and Gallo...or as in the case of the Energy and HSU people aren't pleased with the performance....the only readily available kit was the Athena micras and while that is at a comparable (slightly less) price their performance has also been called into question....

I have listened to a few of these systems and as far as I can tell they all sound pretty much on par, I have also been told that the micro systems all suck to a certain degree and the only way to get "good" sound is from a larger speaker, which is something that I personally am not eager to do....

I have seen some JBL kits which were attractive along with Polk and Boston but overall opinions of these brands haven't been overly favorable and with the Polk and Boston systems the price is again exactly the same as the Bose 6....I would love to see a truly less expensive system, the only viable option was the Rocket Tykes but I have serious reservations on buying speakers without demoing them first...even though av123 has an excellent return I would still eat the shipping cost, and I wasn't too keen on their looks...

Thanks

I bought a bose lifestyle 28 (series 1) home theater system. They were going away fast for $999. Stores were discountinuing the series I, to make room for series II.
I agree with you folks that there are better/cheaper alternatives to bose. It had what I wanted and I didnt have time to research stuff and put a system together for $500-700. I cant play loud music in my house, will disturb neighbours, so I wont be able to find out if it introduces noise when played loud. So far I like it. I have had bose speakers in car for few years now.
Thanks for all your inputs.

hifimaster
08-26-2004, 05:41 AM
I bought a bose lifestyle 28 (series 1) home theater system. They were going away fast for $999. Stores were discountinuing the series I, to make room for series II.
I agree with you folks that there are better/cheaper alternatives to bose. It had what I wanted and I didnt have time to research stuff and put a system together for $500-700. I cant play loud music in my house, will disturb neighbours, so I wont be able to find out if it introduces noise when played loud. So far I like it. I have had bose speakers in car for few years now.
Thanks for all your inputs.

TRAITOR!
Too bad you felt you had to get ripped off. You should have taken your time looking. I feel sorry for your ignorance. To each his own, I guess.

Very dissapointed,
James

odhu
08-26-2004, 07:26 PM
TRAITOR!
Too bad you felt you had to get ripped off. You should have taken your time looking. I feel sorry for your ignorance. To each his own, I guess.

Very dissapointed,
James

Dont judge a system by its brand, dont judge a person by the brand he owns.
peace :)

hifimaster
08-27-2004, 04:41 AM
Dont judge a system by its brand, dont judge a person by the brand he owns.
peace :)

Sorry to seem a little harsh. You came to this forum asking advice and you completely ignored what was offered. You overpaid for a name and gave up on quality. I hope you enjoy your innacurate, highly colored, shrill, harsh system where 35% of the audio information is lost to a poorly designed system.

IMO, 46hz - 13khz +/-10.5db with a -10db dropout between 202hz and 280hz is not doing any soundtrack justice.

You could have done so much better if you had taken your time.

Still dissapointed,
James

kexodusc
08-27-2004, 05:02 AM
I hope you enjoy your innacurate, highly colored, shrill, harsh system where 35% of the audio information is lost to a poorly designed system.

IMO, 46hz - 13khz +/-10.5db with a -10db dropout between 202hz and 280hz is not doing any soundtrack justice.

Where on earth did you get these figures from?

hifimaster
08-27-2004, 06:21 AM
Where on earth did you get these figures from?

Read this: http://ecoustics-cnet.com.com/4505-6449_7-9871246.html?part=ecoustics-cnet

It's lengthy, but good reading.

James

kexodusc
08-27-2004, 06:38 AM
Oh, man, I've had a minor hate on for Bose for years but mostly because of the relative poor value they offer...If those are even close to the truth this is just disgusting.
I can't believe Bose can sell these Lifestyle and Acoustimass things for $1000 - $3000. At least Sony's little cubes are only in the low hundred's.
It's no wonder Bose hides all the technical details of their products as best as they can...

BTW, that's a huge frequency gap in the 200Hz - 280Hz range...much bigger than the number "80" implies...
This just ain't right...just ain't right...not right (shaking head to myself)

hifimaster
08-27-2004, 06:43 AM
And some people wonder why they don't post their spec's ANYWHERE.

Actually, they do, but only for some of their PA stuff.

James

Mathew J
08-27-2004, 04:27 PM
Sorry to seem a little harsh. You came to this forum asking advice and you completely ignored what was offered. You overpaid for a name and gave up on quality. I hope you enjoy your innacurate, highly colored, shrill, harsh system where 35% of the audio information is lost to a poorly designed system.

You could have done so much better if you had taken your time.

Still dissapointed,
James

James, you might want to consider seeking professional help...your need/desire to "rail" this poster to spend his money as he seems fit on something you personally do not agree with is not normal and most certainly not healthy.

Also I am assuming that you are referring to that user review and not the actual editorial review? if so that is based of a net article (I am assuming the person was either the author or cut and pasted it)...find it hard to belive given in the opening paragraph they state an outwright fallacy as fact when referring to the price of the bose replacement drivers, Fact is the drivers they link to are not actual bose units but instead sony drivers that will work with Bose...sorry but if someone is going to be blatantly deceptive and then slam Bose for marketing trickery I begin to question their validity throughout the rest of the article.

odhu
08-28-2004, 05:21 PM
<You came to this forum asking advice and you completely ignored what was offered. >
Read the subject and question again. The advice I was looking for was for will Bose do this or not, most replies offered was some no-BOSE will offer it. I didnt completely ignore what was offered, I did consider the posts from Woochifer, Mathew J and Bryan.

Mathew J
08-28-2004, 05:38 PM
Read this: http://ecoustics-cnet.com.com/4505-6449_7-9871246.html?part=ecoustics-cnet

It's lengthy, but good reading.

James

Here is the real site which that was plagarized from:

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Willow
08-31-2004, 03:21 PM
before I got into A/V my dad bought a lifestyle system and I thought he did research so my wife and I bought an am6 III I think..(it's gone now) my dad asked me last night does this system sound good I said it sounds good only cause I dont wanna hurt his feelings. But he loves the sound of my system which is no longer Bose. When I was over I gave him an AR svideo cable he was using a composite cable .. I looked behind his bose system the actual..hmmm receiver if you wanna call it that there is no optical nor coax input just analog cable inputs...how can somthing that size produce sound (with a muti-cd player) sound as good as any joe receiver which is 3 times the size. Well all this to say I do not miss the Bose sound and at my dads I thought it sounded like crap to boomy to noisy ....do youself a favor don't buy the over priced Bose...like some else said if you can get it for 200$ ok but don't spend 2G's on it.

odhu
08-31-2004, 11:20 PM
<my dad asked me last night does this system sound good I said it sounds good only cause I dont wanna hurt his feelings.>

Like your dad, dont you think bose owners on this forum have feelings...eh?
:D

hifimaster
09-01-2004, 07:09 AM
"dont you think bose owners on this forum have feelings"

Not the ones who come to a home theater forum seeking advice and then ignore the replies. You still wasted your money. Hope you enjoy your grainy picture and substandard audio.

James

JSE
09-01-2004, 08:01 AM
I agree with you folks that there are better/cheaper alternatives to bose. It had what I wanted and I didnt have time to research stuff and put a system together for $500-700.

Hell, you could have walked blindly into Best Buy with $1K and picked a speaker system from either Athena, Klipsch or JBL along with a receiver and DVD player and done far far better than Bose. I could do it in 5 minutes, you probably could have done it in less than an hour. Oh well, your money.

We will be waiting for your future post titled,

"Got Bose system, why can't I hook up an external DVD player to it?"

or

"How to get more sound from my system, it's just lackign something?"

JSE

odhu
09-02-2004, 07:21 PM
"dont you think bose owners on this forum have feelings"

Not the ones who come to a home theater forum seeking advice and then ignore the replies. You still wasted your money. Hope you enjoy your grainy picture and substandard audio.

James

Money you enjoy wasting is not money wasted. Go figure.

hifimaster
09-03-2004, 06:09 AM
Money you enjoy wasting is not money wasted.

Ben Franklin sure did not come up with that one.

If money was not a concern to you, then why come to a forum asking for advice? I think you are trying to justify a poor purchase decision.

James

This Guy
09-03-2004, 09:14 AM
Yo chill out. It's not your money, you don't have to live with his decision. I'm sure there are plenty of members here that take advice, and disregard it. He may have wasted a whole 2 minutes of your time when you replied to his post, get over it.

hifimaster
09-03-2004, 12:28 PM
Yep. Time to let it go. Chalk another one up to the fantastic Bose marketing machine.

At least there are forums like this than can help a few people realize what a scam Bose is.

James

PS: This Guy, I like the logo you use. We share similar extracurricular activities.

This Guy
09-03-2004, 05:38 PM
haha, yeah you could use some after getting all riled up over Blose.

jrflanne
09-05-2004, 07:10 AM
The lifestyle system does have one thing going for it. It's small and cute. Unfortunately, the sound is akin to a weasel, also small and cute. I did happen to live w/ Acustimass 10's for a couple of years. Bought them because they were small. Didn't care for the sound and I know (and knew at the time) about their sonic deficiencies. $3000 for a lifestyle system is truely insane. $1000 for the bedroom or small apartment? Maybe not quite so. It does speak more of the markup, for sure.
jack

H2okie
09-08-2004, 09:21 AM
ODHU,

Like you I came to this site wanting info. on home theater systems. I too, was sold on the lifestyle systems. (Actually, a dept. mgr. at best buy steered me away from bose.) After reading page after page of this forum, I'm looking at seperate components. I'm leaning to a yamaha RX-V reciever, and will soon be auditioning speakers.

I hope the bose works well for you. I probably would have jumped on the 1K LS 28 if it weren't for the fact that I have a pair of 151's outside which can't be hooked directly into the LS system. It's not a 2 zone system as sold.