Large Or Small [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Large Or Small

VRDUB
08-22-2004, 07:34 AM
Hi all :) noob here! So excuse me if any of this sounds really basic.

I have the Denon 2805 reciever and I'm running Paradigm Mon. 7's for the mains. Now my ? is during the auto-setup on the reciever what should I set the cross-over at? I keep hearing that even though the speaker is a full range speaker, that setting the speaker to small and having the sub do all the heavy work is the best bet.

In the Paradigm catalog it say the Mon. 7's V.3's low-frequency extension is 33 Hz. (DIN)*
Which I think puts it in the "Large" category.

Also, what should I set the Crossover and the Volume Level (on the sub) at, before auto-setup?

Thanx!!!!!!!!

This Guy
08-22-2004, 07:42 AM
If you're crossing it over to the sub through the receiver (subwoofer output), set the crossover on the sub all the way up. Set the speakers as small and try a crossover of around 60 hz. You want the sub about 3-6 dB louder than the rest of your speakers. Go to radio shack and get their spl meter. Make sure all the channels are the same loudness at your listening position and set the subwoofer 3-6 dB louder, whichever you like more. Also, play around with the sub crossover (in the receiver), and phase switch/dial to whatever sounds best.

VRDUB
08-22-2004, 08:13 AM
By setting the crossover on the sub all the way up, do you mean 150Hz? The sub's Cut-Off Frequency is 50Hz -150Hz.? Also what is Phase Switch/Dial?

Thanks for the quick reply Dude!

This Guy
08-22-2004, 08:25 AM
Yes set it all the way up to 150 hz if you're using the sub output from your receiver. The phase switch or dial on your sub adjusts it so that it is in phase with your main speakers. This is used when you place your sub far away from your mains. It;s kinda hard to explain, you adjust it so that the bass gets to your ears the same time that it does for your main speakers. Do a search on it and you'll understand better. Your sub should have a switch or dial for it. If you're not using the sub output on your receiver, I'll explain how to go about doing the crossover later.

-Joey

VRDUB
08-22-2004, 08:53 AM
Yeah, my sub is on at the back of the room next to my sofa, but I don't have a phase switch or dial on the sub (small Paradigm PDR8 sub). All it has is the sub Level and the sub Cut-Off Frequency. :( Oh yeah , the sub is connected using the sub out-put from the receiver.

Thanks again Bud!!!

satz
08-22-2004, 04:12 PM
Hi

why is it that the SUB has to be slightly louder than other speakers? Is it just to get the 'oomph', or is there some technical reason?

:-)

If I want the sub 'nicely' integrated, esp for music in Source Direct mode, then should I have it at the same level as the rest of the speakers?

cheers

S

poneal
08-22-2004, 05:13 PM
I have all my speakers set to large and the sub xover frequency set to 60hz. Since all my speakers can play down to around 40hz (-3db), I choose 60hz for the xover. This allows all my speakers to receive frequencies at or above 60hz and the sub to receive all frequencies at or below 60hz. This does not mean that that is exactly how it works with the magical cutoff at 60hz. The main/surround speakers still output below 60hz but the receiver sends a lower volume signal to it below 60. I'm guessing that at 50hz my receiver sends the mains/surrounds a signal that is -3db or maybe even -6db. Depends on the xover slope. The sub will go the opposite direction. It will receive all frequencies below 60hz but will attenuate signals higher thanb 60. So maybe at 70hz the sub frequency is down -3db. You get the concept? The main thing is that the xover is not a brick wall where anything above or below a set frequency is blocked.

cam
08-22-2004, 05:48 PM
I have all my speakers set to large and the sub xover frequency set to 60hz. Since all my speakers can play down to around 40hz (-3db), I choose 60hz for the xover. This allows all my speakers to receive frequencies at or above 60hz and the sub to receive all frequencies at or below 60hz. This does not mean that that is exactly how it works with the magical cutoff at 60hz. The main/surround speakers still output below 60hz but the receiver sends a lower volume signal to it below 60. I'm guessing that at 50hz my receiver sends the mains/surrounds a signal that is -3db or maybe even -6db. Depends on the xover slope. The sub will go the opposite direction. It will receive all frequencies below 60hz but will attenuate signals higher thanb 60. So maybe at 70hz the sub frequency is down -3db. You get the concept? The main thing is that the xover is not a brick wall where anything above or below a set frequency is blocked.
If you want your output to be clearer and more dynamic at higher volumes I would set all your speakers to small and set your receiver at 60 hz crossover, dial your sub to the highest setting and enjoy. Your receiver will have more headroom and less strain on its power supply and your other speakers will play clearer and louder with better midrange. If you are set on 60 hz then this is the way I would do it. The saying goes, setting to small means BIG sound.

This Guy
08-22-2004, 06:04 PM
satz, humans' hearing gets much less sensitive at the frequency extremes. It has an official name, but I forget what it's called (maybe someone can post that). Basically you just turn the sub up louder to compensate for this curve. If you used an spl meter and ran your system so that it's completely flat from 20 khz to 20 hz, you would think it was lacking bass only because our hearing starts dropping off as the frequency goes lower.

-joey

kexodusc
08-23-2004, 04:03 AM
VRDUB: Play around with the suggestion you've read so far.
I went through all this a few months back after years of leaving my paradigm Studios set at "large"...I tried setting them to small based on advice here from Woochifer and others and I honestly prefer the brickwall LFE cutoff method at around 60 or 40 Hz...it's certainly easier on your amplifier and in my opinion really helped the speakers in the midrange frequencies since they weren't required to do both anymore.
A friend of mine uses a method similar to Poneal's and I have to admit his system sounds great too..I couldn't get that kind of blending with mine though.

There isn't a best way, I don't think, but there are reasons in favor of each method.

VRDUB
08-23-2004, 05:31 AM
Thanks everyone!! Ok, so by the looks of things, setting my speakers to small is the way to go. I will try it out, but my next question is about listening to two channel music. Isn't it best to have the speakers set to large for 2CH. in Direct/Pure Direct listening mode? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Once again, Thanx for all the help!! :)

kexodusc
08-23-2004, 06:01 AM
Isn't it best to have the speakers set to large for 2CH. in Direct/Pure Direct listening mode?

You could easily start a flame war here asking that question. Once again I would submit that there isn't a "best". Certain setups with a sub will sound better for 2ch stereo than other setups without a sub. This is very dependant on your speakers and how they behave. It doesn't cost you much to play around.

Purists will prefer full-range speakers without a sub. Some people maybe a bit deaf in the bass regions and like the reinforcement a sub can provide. "Bassheads" like exaggerated low end and usually can't make do without a sub. Whatever sounds best to you.

This is one of the advantages with home stereo playback vs. live performances...you have some control to tweak the way a performance sounds at home...If you're at a concert and you'd like bass louder, unless you jeer the band or have incredible influence, chances are you're at their mercy. At home you can adjust the bass.

The hardest thing for some audio-enthusiasts to do is to figure out what sounds good to them and to live with that. Instead they often focus on what sounds good to others and try to tailor their system after that...this can lead to dissatisfaction very quickly if your tastes are a bit different. If everyone liked the same stuff, there'd be no need for variety in equipment.

VRDUB
08-23-2004, 07:38 AM
Cool, I'll try all those different settings and see what I like best.

Again Thanks a bunch!!!

kexodusc
08-23-2004, 07:47 AM
VRDUB: I've got to ask you, why did you get a PDR-8 with Monitor 7's? What's the rest of your system?

VRDUB
08-23-2004, 07:59 AM
Kexodusc: I have had the PDR8 for a while now. I bought it as part of the Cinema Series. The sub will be replaced soon, but first I want to replace my surrounds (also Cinema Series) to the ADP 370's. So as it stands now my system is as follows.

Toshiba 42" HDTV Widescreen
Denon AVR2805
Toshiba DVD player
Technics CD player
Paradigm Mon. 7's V.3
Paradigm CC370 V.3
Paradigm Cinema 70's surrounds
Paradigm PDR8 V.2 sub

-Rudy

kexodusc
08-23-2004, 08:03 AM
Ahh, makes perfect sense. How'd you like the cinema's?

VRDUB
08-23-2004, 08:22 AM
The Cinema's are awsome little speaker. I had them set up in my bedroom when I was living at my parents. Got married and my Best Man (Brother In Law) bought me the Mon. 7's as a wedding gift. Since then I have had the audio bug, and a bigger room, so I thought I'd continue with the Monitor line. I have always liked audio, so he asked me to go and audition some speakers with him (thinking it was for him) and I told him I would buy the Mon. 7's if I was him.

So back to your question on the Cinema's, they sound alot bigger that they are, and match up nicely with the PDR8 sub. I'll be setting them up in my basement with my video game system.

cam
08-23-2004, 03:37 PM
Thanks everyone!! Ok, so by the looks of things, setting my speakers to small is the way to go. I will try it out, but my next question is about listening to two channel music. Isn't it best to have the speakers set to large for 2CH. in Direct/Pure Direct listening mode? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Once again, Thanx for all the help!! :)
You are building a fine system. I too have the 7's, cc370, and adp370's with a denon. One thing you will notice with your denon is that no matter what your settings are, big or small, and what crossover setting you have chosen, when you play back through 2 channel direct it will play back full range. Your 7's will be full range and your sub will be on as well. If you at this point do not want your sub on you will have to turn the gain down. Myself, I have a pw-2200 and I would never ever consider turning it down. Party on!

kexodusc
08-23-2004, 04:23 PM
I had mini monitors v.1 for a few years, I was quite happy with them at the time, they weren't as good as my wharfedale emeralds but they actually imaged a bit better, and considering the price difference I was quite happy.
I tried a complete Monitor series HT, and for the difference in the money I had spent I went straight to the Studio 40's and 20's.
I do think Paradigm makes a solid subwoofer in the PW-series. I have a PW-2200 and a PW-2100. I'm actually selling the PW-2200 to a friend before I move, I like the smaller woofer just a bit better.

VRDUB: I would suggest you take time to compare heavily the ADP-370's with just Mini-Monitors as rears/surrounds. If you start getting into multi-channel audio (which is becoming the next big thing in music), you might find the ADP's a bit distracting. 5.1 audio isn't made with ADP type speakers in mind. Even for general 5.1 movie playback, there's definitely a split among audio enthusiasts about whether to use bipole/dipole speakers or direct radiating speakers as rears. Make sure you get what you like or it could drive you nuts...trust me, I've been down that path!
If you do decide to go with Mini Monitors, you'll have saved yourself a few hundred bucks, too.

cam
08-23-2004, 05:16 PM
I had mini monitors v.1 for a few years, I was quite happy with them at the time, they weren't as good as my wharfedale emeralds but they actually imaged a bit better, and considering the price difference I was quite happy.
I tried a complete Monitor series HT, and for the difference in the money I had spent I went straight to the Studio 40's and 20's.
I do think Paradigm makes a solid subwoofer in the PW-series. I have a PW-2200 and a PW-2100. I'm actually selling the PW-2200 to a friend before I move, I like the smaller woofer just a bit better.

VRDUB: I would suggest you take time to compare heavily the ADP-370's with just Mini-Monitors as rears/surrounds. If you start getting into multi-channel audio (which is becoming the next big thing in music), you might find the ADP's a bit distracting. 5.1 audio isn't made with ADP type speakers in mind. Even for general 5.1 movie playback, there's definitely a split among audio enthusiasts about whether to use bipole/dipole speakers or direct radiating speakers as rears. Make sure you get what you like or it could drive you nuts...trust me, I've been down that path!
If you do decide to go with Mini Monitors, you'll have saved yourself a few hundred bucks, too.
if I was to rate my best piece in my ht set up, hands down my adp's is the best purchase out of all my purchases. As far as it goes listening to 5.1 music, you are right, they were not intended when they were mixing music in 5.1. But they still sound incredible (to me) and, absolutley in no way do they annoy or distract me listening to music mixed in 5.1. In my situation my di-poles have room to work properly, if my couch was against a back wall I guaranty my opinion would change. There is a big split in opinion on di-poles, but not everyones room (set up) is the same.

kexodusc
08-24-2004, 03:41 AM
There is a big split in opinion on di-poles.

Ain't that the truth...ya either love'em or hate'em.

For what it's worth, I tried about 5 different places for the ADP's and could never get them to jive right. But I always suspected that if a couch WAS against a back wall that ADP's might work better?
I've never really liked any dipole setups I've heard. I bought the ADP-370's because my salesguy told me they were a must. Just didn't sound right to me.
I know the guy pretty well and he loves his, but he was nice enough to let me return them. I know a few others in the forums here that prefer the dipolar/bipolar surround speakers too. I wasn't trying to influence the decision so much, my bias is obvious, just to make all aware that this is a very critical step in the HT building process. Make sure you find out which style you prefer and go with it. I've seen too many pre-packaged deals including dipolar/bipolar setups pushed onto newbies who are told that "this is what it should sound like".

Incidentally, when I made the jump to 7 speakers, I tried the Studio ADP-470's on both the sides and the rear. I actually much preferred them in the rear!!! My room is huge and really helped fill out the rear. I almost bought them, but I found a sweet deal on a used set of Studio 20's, so I went that way instead...saved a ton of money there!

A few companies actually manufacture bipolar/dipolar speakers that can also function as direct radiating speakers if you flip the switch to the appropriate setting. The ones I've seen have 3 sets of drivers on them though. Good idea, but cost-prohibitive to most people I would think.

VRDUB
08-24-2004, 04:33 AM
Thanks guys. I was almost sure that the dipoles were the way to go, but when I am ready to purchase, I will do some critical listening to see (hear) what I like better.

Oh!!! And one more thing. I did the auto set-up again and tried all the different settings suggested here. I must say that I prefer the Mon. 7's set to large, crossover set at 60Hz. and LFE+MAINS in the sub setting on the receiver. All the help here has been awsome. :D

poneal
08-24-2004, 06:06 AM
Cam, I would love to set my speakers to small, but unfortunately my receivers' settings for small only allow crossovers of 80 or 100hz. 80hz seems a little high to me (I can localize where the bass is coming from) so I set them to large). I sure wish that they had a 60hz xover for the small setting... but that's another story. See ya. Paul.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
08-24-2004, 09:50 AM
Cam, I would love to set my speakers to small, but unfortunately my receivers' settings for small only allow crossovers of 80 or 100hz. 80hz seems a little high to me (I can localize where the bass is coming from) so I set them to large). I sure wish that they had a 60hz xover for the small setting... but that's another story. See ya. Paul.

Actually 80hz is a unofficial standard within the audio community. It was the THX standards that really made this crossover point widespread amoung all manufacturer. Their philosophy is that if you want the sub to disappear, you have to cross it over at least one octave from the point that bass becomes directional to the ear, and use steep crossover filters. According to their listening test, that would have been 160hz using 24db per octave linkwitz crossover filters. If you can localize your bass using 80hz crossover point, it is likely there is something vibrating(like a wall or the floor) that is near or under the sub. In THX systems I have installed, the bass is not localized using the standard 80hz crossover point.

From an acoustical stand point, in the absence of EQ on all channels, the small setting should be used for all speakers. Bass coming from different directions, interacting with different points in the room will have a different frequency response at the listening position. This difference can be as much as 20db. So one channel may have great bass(L+R mains),another channel may have a completely different frequency response(center), and still the surrounds will have an entirely different frequency response all based on the speakers proximity to the walls of the room. By sending all the bass to the sub, you are pretty much assured that all channels will have the same bass response no matter where the mains, center and surrounds are placed. You will also have a much clearer midrange and upper bass coming from the mains, center and surrounds.

poneal
08-24-2004, 10:13 AM
Very interesting Sir Terrence! I may just give that a try as it would lessen the load that my receiver must output. This is actually a good time to try it since I have just rearranged my living room. Now it's setup more like a HT environment. I also have 5 matching speakers which will be done hopefully in the next few weeks. All this mean breaking out the SPL meter again and adjusting everything again which I really enjoy doing anyway. Nice post. Paul.

cam
08-24-2004, 04:02 PM
Very interesting Sir Terrence! I may just give that a try as it would lessen the load that my receiver must output. This is actually a good time to try it since I have just rearranged my living room. Now it's setup more like a HT environment. I also have 5 matching speakers which will be done hopefully in the next few weeks. All this mean breaking out the SPL meter again and adjusting everything again which I really enjoy doing anyway. Nice post. Paul.
I'm the same way, every now and then I break out the sound meter just to see if eveything is still tickediboo. I just recently bought new appliances, so I spl'd my old dishwasher and oven hood and went to sears and I said I want appliances way quieter then what I had. Hey, I gotta use my toy somehow.

ksing44
08-25-2004, 02:49 AM
I will try setting my Main speakers to small, but I feel like I am wasting something by not using the FULL capabilities of speakers. As I remember, the last time I tried it, I thought the sound was a little THIN when I changed to the "Small" speaker setting. In addition, I can't believe that my Sub can really produce the higher base frequencies as accurately as my mains. I have been setting the Mains to "Large" and then setting the crossover on the Sub, so that it would only handle VERY DEEP sounds. I think my Sub is awesome. It recreates very deep sounds that shake my walls and sofa. It also seems musical with regular music, but it cant possibly be as quick and accurate as my Mains. Can a Sub, with dual 12-inch speakers, really create the rich, but quick, higher frequency bass? I have to admit that I don't really know what number frequencies are associated with any particular sound that I hear. Are you guys saying that my main speakers will use all of their power to create the midrange, so they will actually sound better, if I set them to small?

My HT Layout
http://forums.mbnz.org/gallery/pics/1106635768714200461337AM.jpe

Photo of my HT Set-up (Did you see my HUGE Lava lamp? :cool: )
http://forums.mbnz.org/gallery/pics/1106635768211200445717AM.jpg

VRDUB
08-25-2004, 05:31 AM
Sorry guys, I have another question. Should I set my Tone Defeat on or off, and what exactly does this do? I haven't really played around with this much other than setting my Bass and Treble both at "0".

ksing44
08-25-2004, 08:06 AM
My manual says that Tone Defeat ON is the highest quality sound, because the information does not have to pass through the additional circuitry of the tone controls. I think the sound is a little bit flat or muted, however, without going into the mode where I can adjust treble and bass. The sound seems to brighten up if I slightly tweak the tone controls. I typically use +2 treble and -2 bass. At the same time, if you hold your ear directly against the tweeter, during a totally silent passage of a song, there is a very slight humming sound that disappears if I bypass the tone controls with the Tone Defeat. I can't really hear the hum from my listening position, unless the room is absolutely quiet and there is no music playing from the stereo. It doesn't make the sound during track changes or dead time between telecasts. The sound is only present during a song or dialogue when there is a pause in sound being played from the source. I have a line conditioner and dedicated circuit for my stereo, so I don't think the small hum is from dirty power. I am not sure what the little sound is, but there is more of it when I don't use the Tone Defeat. By the way, as it says in my signature, I have a Denon AVR 5700 5.1 receiver.

poneal
08-25-2004, 09:40 AM
I will try setting my Main speakers to small, but I feel like I am wasting something by not using the FULL capabilities of speakers. As I remember, the last time I tried it, I thought the sound was a little THIN when I changed to the "Small" speaker setting. In addition, I can't believe that my Sub can really produce the higher base frequencies as accurately as my mains. I have been setting the Mains to "Large" and then setting the crossover on the Sub, so that it would only handle VERY DEEP sounds. I think my Sub is awesome. It recreates very deep sounds that shake my walls and sofa. It also seems musical with regular music, but it cant possibly be as quick and accurate as my Mains. Can a Sub, with dual 12-inch speakers, really create the rich, but quick, higher frequency bass? I have to admit that I don't really know what number frequencies are associated with any particular sound that I hear. Are you guys saying that my main speakers will use all of their power to create the midrange, so they will actually sound better, if I set them to small?

My HT Layout
http://forums.mbnz.org/gallery/pics/1106635768714200461337AM.jpe

Photo of my HT Set-up (Did you see my HUGE Lava lamp? :cool: )
http://forums.mbnz.org/gallery/pics/1106635768211200445717AM.jpg

Ya, I seem to recall that my system sounded thinner too. Since I have remodeled and will have my DIY speakers done in a few weeks, I will try small again and see how it works out. If not it's back to large for all of them.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
08-25-2004, 11:28 AM
Gentlemen,

The bass probably does sound thin to your ears after you have heard bass coming from everywhere, with varying degrees of boost and cancellations. Bass that is smooth and even does not have a emphasis in any frequency, so it would therefore sound alot thinner than a system that had bass irregularities all over the place. Especially if the irregularities were boosts at certain frequencies.

I can't believe that my Sub can really produce the higher base frequencies as accurately as my mains.

It doesn't have to. If you choose a 80hz crossover point, then it won't be producing the upper bass at all.

Are you guys saying that my main speakers will use all of their power to create the midrange, so they will actually sound better, if I set them to small?

That is exactly what I am saying. If you bass driver in your mains has to reproduce both the midrange and deep bass too, one is going to suffer. Either the midrange becomes cloudy and indistinct as the driver makes long excursions for the deep bass, or the deep bass will sound thin and less pronounced if the driver is good at midrange frequencies, but cannot produce the deep bass. By moving the bass to the speaker that reproduces it best(the sub), you will relieve your mains of double duty, allow it to go louder and cleaner which reduces distortion. Imaging also improves.

Give it a try. Set everything to small, recalibrate the system with the subwoofer about 4-6db HIGHER than the mains(I use my center speaker as that reference instead). If you do not do that, you will experience the thinness that you had previously heard.

Ksing, where in the heck did you get that big lava lamp, I am green with envy!!

ksing44
08-25-2004, 01:53 PM
Gentlemen,
Give it a try. Set everything to small, recalibrate the system with the subwoofer about 4-6db HIGHER than the mains(I use my center speaker as that reference instead). If you do not do that, you will experience the thinness that you had previously heard.

Thank you for the careful explanation of LARGE and SMALL. I will give it a try.

Gentlemen,
Ksing, where in the heck did you get that big lava lamp, I am green with envy!!

The lava lamp is from http://www.lavalites.com. When I bought mine, you could actually get a lava lamp that was 5 feet tall, if you were willing to pay $5000.00. Mine is the Lava® Brand Grande™ Motion Lamp, although they seem to have discontinued my version with a black base, yellow lava, and blue liquid. It actually looks like it is green and yellow, when it is running. I use it instead of a fire, to provide a kind of dancing flame of molten lava. I only turn it on the weekends for my movie nights with special appetizers prepared by my wife.

Lava Lamps (http://www.lavalites.com/giant.html)