Experts Speak [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Experts Speak

motiram
08-21-2004, 09:12 AM
Denon/Mirage OMNITHEATERII Surround Sound System

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.tweeter.com/product/inde...rentPage=family

1. AVR2803 digital receiver from Denon
2. Mirage LF100 subwoofer
3. OMNITHEATERII system OSMPB x 5

Any comments on this sytem. Specially I am spectical about mirage speakers? They look like Bose, but I dont know how they sound. Denon receiver must be good I guess.
Its sold in tweeter for 1500$.

Please comment, Mr.experts

-Ram

N. Abstentia
08-21-2004, 09:41 AM
Well, what other systems have you compared it to? How did you like the sound of this system compared to the others?

Mash
08-21-2004, 10:11 AM
Are you willing to spend YOUR money based on the opinions of strangers who will not have to "live" with the consequences of your selections if your choices should ultimately disappoint you?

If you do not religeously attend live recitals, you will never develop the "ear" that will allow you to select a realistic-sounding system, and this will make your quest to find an accurate sound system completely moot because, day in and day out, you will compare your sound system to the live sounds you hear everyday. This is reality.

RGA
08-21-2004, 11:02 AM
Firstly you don't need to be an audiophile to be able to pick out a good system or the most accurate system. The most accurate system will be able to discern the most diferrences from disc to disc without adding nasties to the recordings. You do not generally want a system that makes a recording sound like it was done at Carnegie hall - or GM Place or you're local theater or music department if it was not recorded in that venue. You don't want a system that pushes voices to the center on ALL your pop albums when in fact the singer is center left or right center or far back or closed miced - many set-ups make it sound the same. You want a speaker that makes instruments sound like real instruments and it should work in any room good bad or horrible - obviously a good room helps muchly.

Omnidirectional muti way speakers CAN sound good in the right circumstances - most people don't have the right circumstances and they can sound far far worse than most everything else. Not a big fan of Mirage - but then I'm not a huge fan of most speakers primarily built for home theater. Mirage is a concept company with a great concept - but IMO they don't work as something other than being a novel approach. Here is a philisophical approach to finding a speaker or componant that might work (while written by a company - it has nothing to do with products but an approach you can use when shopping for equipment from ANYONE including those $200.00 Ghetto Blasters and requires no training. Golden Ears dislike it because it shatters ego's but it works. http://www.audionote.co.uk/anp1.htm

markw
08-21-2004, 11:17 AM
...I DO like my Denon 2803, that unit's grandfather from two years ago, and would expect the 2805 to be at least as satisfying.

Dunno about the speakers, though. Mirage's parent company, API, makes several other brands of very nice speakers (Energy and Athena) and they are all quite well received, but since everyone's tastes are different, there is no magic bullet that will satisfy everyone. If not, why would API need to market three distinct brands of speakers?

Before going any further, stop reading about speakers on the internet. More importantly, don't try to measure a speakers potential by taking a poll of strangers. Go listen to some in the stores.

But, be aware that if it's their styling that pushes your buttons, you will limit yourself severely. Decide what you want before embarkong on this journey. Sound or style, and take it from there..

nusiclover
08-21-2004, 11:23 AM
i have heard the omnistats at the good guys/ i really disliked them. i kept wanting to be impressed, but the more i tried to like them, the more i didn't. That said, the salesperson at Good GUys felt that the mirage system was the best sub/sat system hed heard (i trust his opinion beucase i know him). But we differed much in agreement, then again, nothing that GG carries is my cup of tea. For $1500, i really think you could do alot better. it is my opinion that you should consider other systems before making a final decision. Have you been to a local audiophile store? have you heard B&W, Paradigm and the countless others that can be attained with $1500? if you are set on going with a sub/sat system then stick around, i'm sure you will get other recommendations. I liked M&K or even Definitive Tech combos more than Mirage. KEF and Mission also make good sub/sats. But this is strictly for HT. I would definitely look at larger speakers if your main interest was in music. Take B&W for example. I think they make excellent HT products. They are easy enough to find no matter where you live. Have you heard them? Try to find a dealer that carries them and audition the 600 series. Or, if you want to save some money and have smaller speakers you could look into the 300 series. I really think they will sound much better to you than the mirage's. Whatever you do, you owe it to yourself to audition many options before dropping $1500 on a system.
Also, Denon make good receivers, but I'd also consider similarly priced Yamaha's as their sound is sometimes more robust than Denon. They also drive a multiple of configurations very well. But dont skimp on the receiver, expect to pay about $400. That leaves you with over a grand for 5 speakers. Im sure you will find something that moves you.

Cheers.

motiram
08-21-2004, 08:04 PM
Friendz, everytime I get ur answers, I think I know what to buy. But frankly I dont. I want small speakers with good sorround sound. Please dont tell me, these trade-off each other. Any ideas?
I was tired looking for different speakers. None of the stores have the systems for display, and all systems sound same for me in the stores. So I was asking for expert opinion, to judge myself. Thanks for any answers :)

This Guy
08-21-2004, 08:45 PM
If they all sound the same to you why are you spending this much? I mean if you're gonna be just as happy with a $500 system, why waste your money?

chimera128
08-21-2004, 09:33 PM
If you just wanted good sound I would try to go with a slightly lower priced receiver and spend more on mains and center. The AVR-1705 should be able to supply enough power if the speakers you get are efficient. Also agree with the point about a $500 system if you are happy with it. I have friends that are tickled pink by htib systems (better them than me) just because they don't NEED more. If they want better sound they come to my house or go out to a movie theatre. $1500 will buy you a great system though. Now I am going to recommend a system and also state that I love Definitive Technology products right off the bat. Take into account that a satellite still has to use stands so that will also take up some room. Some towers don't take up more floorspace than the stands that are used to hold satellites. If you have to have small satellites or just like the look of them then that is different. Also don't be afraid to negotiate on speakers and electronics (outside of retail chains), think of them as a car. I'd try for at least 10% or more. I have been able to get at least 20% off of DefTech products so I will use that for my price figures with the exclusion of the BP10Bs which I was able to get 34% off.

If you can go with floorstanders for mains (if you don't want floorstanders just skip this recommendation):

Receiver:
Denon AVR-1705 $400 MSRP (I got my AVR-3803 for about 15% off MSRP)
Speakers:
Definitive Technology BP10B (tower mains) x 2: $660.00
ProCenter C2 x 1: $240.00
Procinema 80s x 2: $180.00

total $1480

or if you like satellites(small):

Denon AVR-1705: $400
Procinema 80s x 5: $450.00
Procenter100 x 1: $142
and a good sub of your choice.

total:$992 + approx. $500 for a sub

The prices listed are what I think I could get, or did get, for the equipment that I listed. If I was buying a system I would go with the first that I listed, although the second would still sound good. Also the avr-1705 is 6 channel but I only included 5 speakers in the first. The best thing you can do is go out and listen until something in your price range just reaches out and grabs you. Other people's ears can't do the listening for you.

motiram
08-22-2004, 02:42 PM
Thank you Thank you. I really thank you folks for taking ur time to answer my questions.

Tell me some good stores where I can have these systems for display. I went to bestbuy, circuitcity, tweeter, and no one has systems working right. So where do u go for testing ur systems. The only suggestion they give me is to buy it , test it and return it if I dont like it. I think its too much of a process. Can u suggest any good stores for audio, in and around virginia?

Like I went to tweeter, he is asking me what I want to try. I dont know wat to say, becoz I went there to get a answer myself of wat i want to buy.

markw
08-22-2004, 06:07 PM
When you want to find a dealer for a brand of speaker that catches your interest, try going to their web site and look for the section named "Dealers" or some such. Ya gotta take a little initiative, ya know.

nusiclover
08-23-2004, 02:09 PM
When you want to find a dealer for a brand of speaker that catches your interest, try going to their web site and look for the section named "Dealers" or some such. Ya gotta take a little initiative, ya know.
OR
try the yellow pages under audio/stereo/et.al. start by calling the dealers nearest you and ask them what brands they carry. when something sounds good (or even something weve recommended) jot it down and go see them. it seems you are only looking into chains. besides a 30day no hassle money back guarantee, chains actually suck. with the exception of course, but for the most part. try small business type places. im sure you can find an audio-store near you. and big deal if you have to travel a bit of a distance, it will be worth your time especially if you are still thinking on spending lots of money.

motiram
08-23-2004, 05:31 PM
It is little different.

I looked for athena speakers, and they said, the only sellers are bestbuy, which dont have them for display.

There are many choices. Bunch of combinations for speakers, sub woofer, receiver.
How can anyone test all these and pick one of these. All has good reviews.

Athena, Polk, Klispch, Mirage, Definitive tech, Infinity, Atlantic tech, HSU, Boston acoustics, JM Lab, KEF, Rocket tykes ,MK K5,HTIB systems ,ORB Audio

Each may be at different store. Shudn't I suppose to zero on couple and visit only those systems.
Given 1500$ range, wat do u suggest guyz ?????????

nusiclover
08-24-2004, 02:11 PM
It is little different.

I looked for athena speakers, and they said, the only sellers are bestbuy, which dont have them for display.

There are many choices. Bunch of combinations for speakers, sub woofer, receiver.
How can anyone test all these and pick one of these. All has good reviews.

Athena, Polk, Klispch, Mirage, Definitive tech, Infinity, Atlantic tech, HSU, Boston acoustics, JM Lab, KEF, Rocket tykes ,MK K5,HTIB systems ,ORB Audio

Each may be at different store. Shudn't I suppose to zero on couple and visit only those systems.
Given 1500$ range, wat do u suggest guyz ?????????

i see what you mean. all of these brands youve found good reviews for are going to be good speakers to many, or at the least a good some. and others still will be convinced they are the best in the world. and all of this is true of course. likewise you will probably bump into a couple unfavourable reviews on each item.
so, what to do, what to do?
honestly, and this is my personal opinion and actually what i did do, knowing that all of these systems are going to be statistically,theoretically,and truely good, if i couldnt get to every single one (like maybe i want a stereo now damnit and i'm not going to wait until i get to every single store in america) i'd probably (i actually did) go with the one i always secretly wanted to own. for me, when i got my first B&W speakers, i was so stoked becasue for the longest time i always wanted a pair of B&W's. And even though i knew their had to be other good brands out there, it meant nothing as long as i got myself a pair of B&W's.
My point is, and probably noone will dispute this, speakers and stereos are very much a subjective preference. Its almost like wanting a honda over a nissan, or a ford over a dodge. Actually, thats a perfect comparison. The next time you're out driving, look at all the other cars and the people who are driving them. Obviously when someone goes out to buy a new car there are dosens of choices within the same price range. How does this person come to pick the right car for him/herself? And what if every single car had good reviews? (with the exception of the Yugo)
Good luck.