London Calling's lost sessions: 3-disc Clash set coming soon [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : London Calling's lost sessions: 3-disc Clash set coming soon

MindGoneHaywire
08-20-2004, 03:35 PM
http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/music/news/story.jsp?story=551561

nobody
08-20-2004, 04:14 PM
OK...now that's a reason to pick up a reissue. I usually don't care about bonus unreleased tracks, but hey this is the Calsh!

Finch Platte
08-20-2004, 07:55 PM
http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/music/news/story.jsp?story=551561

Punk's lost classic is found - 25 years after being left on a train

Tapes of the Clash recorded during the making of 'London Calling' were mislaid by the band's roadie when he fell asleep on the Tube

By Anthony Barnes, Arts and Media Correspondent
15 August 2004

One of rock'n'roll's great lost albums, a set of recordings made by the Clash, has been rediscovered 25 years after the songs were thought to have disappeared for ever when they were left behind on a London Underground train.

The recordings, which have become known as "the Vanilla Tapes", had previously been heard only by the band and are being hailed as a hugely significant find. It was long believed the only copy had been mislaid by one of the band's roadies on a Tube train.

But master tapes have now been discovered in a cardboard box by the Clash's guitarist and singer Mick Jones as he prepared to move house.

The Clash inspired a generation of musicians from U2 to Billy Bragg. They managed to transcend the three-chord thrash of their early days to embrace jazz, blues, reggae and hip hop, and are credited with putting a political edge back into rock.

"The Vanilla Tapes" date back to 1979 as the band worked on songs which would eventually become their third album, London Calling, widely hailed as their masterpiece. Now 21 of the tracks from "The Vanilla Tapes" - including five songs that were previously unknown - are to be released for the first time as part of the 25th-anniversary reissue of London Calling. The majority of the tracks are unpolished versions of the songs which the band put on the album.

Band biographer Pat Gilbert said: "There is very little unreleased Clash stuff. The idea that a whole album's worth of material has come to light like this is absolutely incredible."

The existence of the recordings took on mythical status when roadie Johnny Green wrote in his memoirs about how he had lost them. He had been asked to deliver a tape of the band's new songs to prospective producer Guy Stevens, to see if he was interested in working on the material, but lost it en route. "I was told to deliver it to Guy but I went down the pub and had a few, well, quite a few," he said. "I fell asleep on the Tube and when I woke up I realised I was at Warren Street where I had to change, so I rushed off, but left it on the Tube. One of the band had marked the tape 'Val Doonican' so I have this vision of someone finding the tape player and being really excited, then finding the tape and thinking 'what's this?' and throwing it in the bin."

However, a master tape survived, long forgotten in Jones's private collection.

The songs were recorded at Vanilla Studios in Pimlico, central London, where the band wrote and prepared their next album - with only their two roadies, Green and Baker Glare, in attendance. Using primitive recording techniques they set the tapes rolling each day to capture the works in progress. At one stage the band's other front man Joe Strummer - who died in December 2002 - had been keen to use the basic set-up to record the band's next album, but the idea was ditched.

The Clash were in a golden period, expanding their boundaries. "There was a point where punk was getting narrower in terms of where it was going," said Jones. "We thought we could just do any type of music." They themselves were also getting on famously, bolstering their camaraderie with regular football matches - a marked contrast to the bitter infighting that would follow.

After weeks holed up at Vanilla they moved into Wessex Studios in Highbury, north London, where the colourful and unpredictable producer Stevens used a variety of unconventional methods to coax out great performances.

"He'd pick up a ladder and then swing it around and then he'd throw six or seven chairs against the back wall," recalled Jones. Footage of his antics are contained in a documentary made by Clash associate Don Letts, which is being released as part of the reissued album.

Jones said "the Vanilla Tapes" would give an insight into the band as they limbered up for their finest hour. "They were just sketches, really. But I'm glad I found them. They tell you quite a lot about what we were like at the time."

Pat Gilbert, whose book Passion Is a Fashion: The Real Story of the Clash is published in October, said: "In some ways the mystique is washed away by hearing the basic construction of these songs, but they still stand up musically."

Property developers move in on legendary recording studio

It was the location for some of the most famous recording sessions in the UK with Queen and the Sex Pistols, as well as the Clash, passing through.

But now Wessex Studios, at one time beaten only by Abbey Road for its facilities, is to become a range of apartments costing upwards of £300,000.

The building started life as a Victorian chapel but by the 1970s it was attracting an array of star names for a new life as a recording venue. Among the diverse visitors have been Barbara Dickson, the Jesus and Mary Chain, Ash and the Pretenders.

The Sex Pistols recorded their one and only album, Never Mind the Bollocks, at Wessex and singer Johnny Rotten is reputed to have thrown up into the piano.

Spillages in the piano seem to have been something of a theme at Wessex. Studio engineer Bill Price recalled Joe Strummer sitting at the keyboard one day trying to write a new riff with a bottle of red wine by his side. The album's producer Guy Stevens walked up and shouted "Jerry Lee Lewis" in his ear.

Price said: "Joe just completely ignored him and carried on playing the riff, so Guy picked up the bottle of red wine and poured it across the piano keyboard and across Joe's hands. Unfortunately this caused about £6,000 worth of damage to the Bosendorfer."

Not all musicians are shedding a tear at the studio's demise. It was the first professional session for Jah Wobble when he recorded Public Image Ltd's first single. "We got barred after about five days because there was a punch-up in the pub with people from the studio," he said. "It's just another studio as far as I'm concerned, and it was a rip-off."

MindGoneHaywire
08-20-2004, 08:11 PM
Give me a break, Finch. I don't reproduce copyrighted material in violation of terms of use. Excerpts are one thing. What, it was so hard to click on the link? I guess, if you're still using IE. Gotta tell you, Mozilla's Firefox is great. Tabbed browsing & the drag & drop extension make this an effin' breeze.

Here, dig on this. If you want to violate copyright law, go right ahead. I won't do it, sorry. This is pretty much the same TOS you'll find on most newspaper & mag sites. Excerpts are fine, and posting for educational purposes is okay, too, I think. Putting it up on what is regarded as a commercial site like this one wouldn't qualify, I don't think, not without permission.

If it were hard or something to get to the story, I could see it. But URLs are enabled here.

http://www.independent.co.uk/story.jsp?story=55087

Rights

All intellectual property rights, including copyright, in the content displayed on the Website ("Content") belong to ID or its licensors. All rights are hereby reserved.

Use of Content

The Website and the Content may only be used for your personal, non-commercial use.

For this purpose alone you may retrieve and display the Content on a computer screen. You may also print out, but not photocopy, one copy of individual files on paper and store files in electronic form on disc, but not on any server or any other storage device connected to a network where the pages could be accessed by other users.

Except as set out above, you agree not to download, copy, reproduce, modify, store, archive, show in public, redistribute or commercially exploit in any way any part of the Content without the prior written permission of ID. You agree not to use the Content or the Website for any illegal or improper purpose, nor for any purpose which might infringe the rights of others, or which might harass or cause inconvenience of distress to any person.

You also agree to abide by all copyright notices and restrictions attached to the Content and not to remove or alter any such notice or restriction or alter the Content in any way.

Licence to reproduce Content

If you wish to re-publish, re-distribute or exploit the Content in any way you should address a request for permission to Independent Syndication at

e-mail: syndication@independent.co.uk
telephone: +44 (0)20 7005 2123 (text)
telephone: +44 (0)20 7005 2777 (pictures)

ID cannot guarantee that any such permission would be forthcoming or on what terms.

Links from other sites

Third parties are permitted to link to stories within ID websites, using the URL and quoting the headline and the source website. Brief extracts from a story are permitted provided they are not substantive. Otherwise our material must not be reproduced on a third party site without express authorisation from us. Requests for more extensive material should be directed to pandora.d'souza@indigital.co.uk.

A third party must ensure that nothing on its own web site suggests or could be understood to imply that any part of the website is part of its own web site unless the third party has obtained the prior written approval of ID.

ID reserves the right to withdraw any permission without explanation or notice if in its sole judgement use of such links is excessive or inappropriate. ID also reserves the right to change the location and nature of files within the website without explanation or notice; it is the responsibility of the third party to check and update links as necessary.

Trademarks and Intellectual Property

Independent Digital, The Independent, The Independent on Sunday and Independent News & Media are Registered Trademarks of Independent News & Media or otherwise part of its intellectual property. You may not use these marks without the prior written permission of Independent News & Media.

Finch Platte
08-20-2004, 08:14 PM
I guess I can cross you off my trading list, eh?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzz.

fp (channeling YECH)

MindGoneHaywire
08-20-2004, 09:03 PM
You could try putting me on it first. I have no objections to trading w/ya. In doing so I only put myself at risk, and like (I believe) most on this board, I rarely send copies of whole works. To the best of my knowledge, posting copyrighted articles verbatim puts the site owners at risk. I ran into this issue last year on the Asylum. Someone who liked to post complete articles took issue with my stance on file-sharing & accused me of continually ripping CDs to offer up on the web. I'd never had ripping software on my computer, never ripped a CD, but here's this guy posting all these newspaper articles. Someone did some research & found that the NY Times charges something like $700 for the privilege. The moderators soon issued an edict to knock it off, as they were at risk also. So long as the link is easily accessible I don't get w/the idea of putting the folks here in that position.

Yeah, I know. It's not like anyone's going to get caught. So what? Meanwhile, you want to trade, bucko, I got some sh*t that'll knock yr d*ck off. Hit me.