West Indian Girl [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : West Indian Girl

BillB
08-20-2004, 11:18 AM
Anyone into this duo? Their debut comes out next Tuesday (08/24/04). I've heard a couple of tracks on WXPN (www.xpn.org) and they sound pretty good...shoegazing, psychedelic, jangly rock...

Bill

BillB
08-30-2004, 08:16 AM
Finally got a chance to sit down and listen to the whole album. Of the four I picked up last week:

Modest Mouse's latest
Mooney Suzuki - Alive & Amplified
The Shins' first album
West Indian Girl's debut

this on is number 2 on my list, second to the Mooney Suzuki CD, followed by The Shins at #3 and Modest Mouse at a very distant #4.

Think Jane's Addiction mixed with a good amount of early Verve sprinkled with a bit of Spiritualized and Stone Roses. This duo from the Cali is pretty damn good. If you like any of the above mentioned bands I recommend you check it out.

Bill

Davey
08-30-2004, 09:19 AM
Finally got a chance to sit down and listen to the whole album. Of the four I picked up last week:

Modest Mouse's latest
Mooney Suzuki - Alive & Amplified
The Shins' first album
West Indian Girl's debut

this on is number 2 on my list, second to the Mooney Suzuki CD, followed by The Shins at #3 and Modest Mouse at a very distant #4.
Hey, that would make a good thread if we could come up with 4 albums more people knew well. Rate these 4 albums.

Funny, but probably not too surprising, I'd rate those 4 almost the exact opposite of you based on what I've heard so far. But I've only listened to the two West Indian Girl songs available at http://www.astralwerks.com/west_indian_girl/music.html and didn't care much for either, although I agree that they do sound a little like Spiritualized. Lots of sounds throughout the background and lots of overlayed vocals make it a little too manufactured sounding for my taste, but both songs are kind of catchy. And the only new Mooney Suzuki download I've been able to find is the video for the title track at their site. Not even any samples at amazon. The "Alive & Amplified" track sounds a little like The Sweet or Slade or someone like that. Lots of layered background vocals. Wasn't too impressed but it was kind of fun with the video. Do you think that song is representative of the new album?

Anyway, I love that Shins album and it's a real grower. I probably didn't love it at first but after awhile it became like an old friend. Courtesy of Google and the archive.....http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EF9E884.php. I've also said lots of good things about the latest from Modest Mouse although I wouldn't rate it as my favorite of theirs. Probably rate it a little behind the Shins debut for its overall sound, but it does have some songs that I really like.

Kind of a fun idea. Now what albums could we come up with that almost everyone has heard? :)

BillB
08-30-2004, 10:33 AM
Davey,

All three albums (Shins, MM, MS) were picked up after reading about them here. I was a bit hesitant giving them a ranking so soon as I've only given one spin to each of them but sometimes initial impressions turn out to be true. I'm hoping that at least The Shins album will grow on me but I honestly don't think the Modest Mouse album ever will.

Isn't music great?

Bill

Hyfi
08-30-2004, 12:17 PM
I just heard them today. I think it's the featured disk of the week on xpn. I was not realy paying much attention but will listen out for them since you mentioned it.

Bri

Davey
08-30-2004, 12:39 PM
I just heard them today. I think it's the featured disk of the week on xpn. I was not realy paying much attention but will listen out for them since you mentioned it.

Bri
Just follow the link in my post or below to hear two of the songs in Real Audio.....

http://boss.streamos.com/real/astralwerks/west_indian_girl/audio/what_are_you_afraid_of.ram

http://boss.streamos.com/real/astralwerks/west_indian_girl/audio/hollywood_radio_edit.ram

I think the second song, Hollywood, is best but it would be cool to hear reactions from lots of people :)

EDIT: Or does anyone here even listen to music online? Just curious.

Dusty Chalk
08-30-2004, 04:35 PM
I do sometimes...but only just before making a purchase decision, such as at CDBaby. Being on dialup sucks. I really need to get to cable...

BillB
08-31-2004, 04:25 AM
I never listen to music online and often have never heard a note from a band before I buy their album. Usually I buy based on reviews and what people have to say on boards like this.

Bill