The Shins [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Shins

BillB
08-20-2004, 09:15 AM
Which album of their's should I start with?

Also, anyone pick up or hear Hope Of The States? I'm having a hard time finding this item besides on Import.

FWIW, I just picked up the hybrid SACD of Death Cab For Cutie's "Transatlanticism"...hope it's good!

Bill

Stone
08-20-2004, 09:46 AM

My advice to you: just go buy one already!!! Seriously, I don't think you can go wrong with either of their albums. They are both very good. I prefer their debut, Oh, Inverted World, but Chutes Too Narrow is definitely worthwhile. I just listened to Inverted World again a couple days ago and still have the songs stuck in my head. If you like guitar-based pop, I'd recommend either album.

FWIW, I just picked up the hybrid SACD of Death Cab For Cutie's "Transatlanticism"...hope it's good!

It is. Not my favorite of theirs, but definitely a good listen.

Swish
08-20-2004, 10:20 AM
one of my favorites from last year, but Oh, Inverted World is dandy too, so why not buy both and double your pleasure? Ditto on Transatlanticism, another in my top 20 from last year. I hear DCFC is going to be playing locally (Reading, PA), but it's part of that "Vote for John Kerry", Bush-bashing nonsense that will keep me from going to see them.

Swish

Mysterio
09-02-2004, 10:31 AM
one of my favorites from last year, but Oh, Inverted World is dandy too, so why not buy both and double your pleasure? Ditto on Transatlanticism, another in my top 20 from last year. I hear DCFC is going to be playing locally (Reading, PA), but it's part of that "Vote for John Kerry", Bush-bashing nonsense that will keep me from going to see them.

Swish

I haven't written anything in awhile, and haven't been lurking either, but I have to chime in here 'cause The Shins are my new favorite band.

Have you guys heard Flake Music's "When You Land Here, It's Time to Return"? It is the predecessor to The Shins, and just as excellent as the two Shins releases.

Check it out:
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:8h867uw0o0jj~T1

Just an FYI,
Mysterio

Slosh
09-02-2004, 01:47 PM
I hear DCFC is going to be playing locally (Reading, PA), but it's part of that "Vote for John Kerry", Bush-bashing nonsense that will keep me from going to see them.

Yeah, but if anyone ever deserved to be bashed it is definitely Dubya. I'm not a democrate by any stretch but there's no way in hell I can vote for that inarticulate sleazebag warring-makes-my-penis-seem-bigger corporate good ole boy cocksucker. Why? Because god told me not to! ;)

But back on topic, yeah, both Shins' albums are recommended here but I think Chutes is a bit more accessible. DCfC's best album IMO is The Photo Album but Transatlanticism ain't no pig either. The SACD sounds pretty good too but it's not the type of recording that brings out the true potential of the format. Speaking of SACD, I seen at AA that Roger Waters' web site is indicating that Animals is the next Floyd album to come to SACD. I can hardly wait! :)

NP: Clinic - Winchester Cathedral

Swish
09-04-2004, 05:15 AM
Yeah, but if anyone ever deserved to be bashed it is definitely Dubya. I'm not a democrate by any stretch but there's no way in hell I can vote for that inarticulate sleazebag warring-makes-my-penis-seem-bigger corporate good ole boy cocksucker. Why? Because god told me not to! ;)

But back on topic, yeah, both Shins' albums are recommended here but I think Chutes is a bit more accessible. DCfC's best album IMO is The Photo Album but Transatlanticism ain't no pig either. The SACD sounds pretty good too but it's not the type of recording that brings out the true potential of the format. Speaking of SACD, I seen at AA that Roger Waters' web site is indicating that Animals is the next Floyd album to come to SACD. I can hardly wait! :)

NP: Clinic - Winchester Cathedral

based on the polls just released post-GOP convention. He has my vote for sure, especially with a stuffed-shirt like John Kerry running against him. Sorry, but John brings nothing to the table...unless it was given to him by his filthy rich wife. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Republican, but I'd vote for a Democrat if he/she were the best candidate. But John Kerry? Ya gotta be kidding me! If that's the best the Democrats can come up with, it's four more years of W.

Swish

Slosh
09-04-2004, 06:44 AM
based on the polls just released post-GOP convention. He has my vote for sure, especially with a stuffed-shirt like John Kerry running against him. Sorry, but John brings nothing to the table...unless it was given to him by his filthy rich wife. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Republican, but I'd vote for a Democrat if he/she were the best candidate. But John Kerry? Ya gotta be kidding me! If that's the best the Democrats can come up with, it's four more years of W.

Swish

It's probably best to keep topics like politics and religion off of this board but . . .
who is running really doesn't seem all that important to me. What matters now is one party controls all. I'd like to have them more evenly split and a dem president with a rep congress will mean lots of fighting with less policy being passed and a hell of a lot less spending. The less the government does, the better!

My two big gripes with Dubya are his environmental policies (or lack thereof) and his willingness to let big corporations gooble up all serious competition. The mess he's allowed to happen in these two areas will haunt all of us for many, many years to come. I can't vote for a guy who only regards short term results.

OK, enough of that.

NP: Sparklehorse - It's A Wonderful Life (yes, it is :) )

Swish
09-04-2004, 08:40 AM
It's probably best to keep topics like politics and religion off of this board but . . .
who is running really doesn't seem all that important to me. What matters now is one party controls all. I'd like to have them more evenly split and a dem president with a rep congress will mean lots of fighting with less policy being passed and a hell of a lot less spending. The less the government does, the better!

My two big gripes with Dubya are his environmental policies (or lack thereof) and his willingness to let big corporations gooble up all serious competition. The mess he's allowed to happen in these two areas will haunt all of us for many, many years to come. I can't vote for a guy who only regards short term results.

OK, enough of that.

NP: Sparklehorse - It's A Wonderful Life (yes, it is :) )

unless provoked. My point with DCFC and the others is that, if I'm paying to see a band live, I want to hear their music and not their political beliefs. When I saw Emmylou a couple weeks back I was praying that she wouldn't bring up politics. She did, but only said "whatever your political views, make sure you vote", which was fine by me.Same goes for the Hollywood types like Ben Affleck. Who the hell cares if he supports Kerry? He certainly isn't going to influence me or anyone I know. That's like getting financial advice from my garbage collector. All his parading around with that goof J. Lopez got me totally sick of him, so the last thing I need is to see him touring with Kerry.

As for your claims about his environmental policies, I guess I have to plead ignorance because I don't know what he's done that has you so ticked off, so clue me in please. Also, I don't believe for a minute that he's allowing big corps to gobble up competition. Mergers and acquisitions are what make this country stronger and they've been going on for many decades. I have friends in my industry who are just biding their time until they're bought out by larger companies so they can reap the rewards, and some already have been to their delight. I'm absolutely pro-capitalist as far as that goes, but I love small businesses too, especially in the local service sectors. I don't like government interference with business.

Swish

audiobill
09-04-2004, 06:27 PM

Also, anyone pick up or hear Hope Of The States? I'm having a hard time finding this item besides on Import.

Bill

Hey, Bill.

You really can't go wrong with either of the Shins albums. Oh Inverted World has grown on me -- perhaps because I'm more familiar with it. Chutes Too Narrow is also very good -- I just haven't spun it as much.

Both are infectious and both reveal more with each listen.

Let us know what u decide.
audiobill

P.S., I agree -- politics has no place here -- but, hey!! Sports anyone?? Canada just beat the Russians in World Cup Hockey -- We'll see who we play on Wednesday...he,eh, he, eh...