Inexpensive DAC [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive DAC

LumbermanSVO
08-18-2004, 08:38 PM
Its been awhile since I've been around these parts, helps keep me from bying more equipment.

I guess an explanation would help with what I'm trying to do.

I am curretly renting 2 rooms from a house. One serves as my office and one as my bedroom. My computer is in my office with the rest of my A/V equipment in my bedroom. I have found that my roomies dont like it when my stereo is up loud enough to hear in the office, I don't question why :)

I made a single run of Cat5 from the office to the bedroom. I put RCA connectors on 2 pairs and plugged them into an output on my reciever and the input on my computer. I want to be able to use my remotes from the office so one more pair will be used for the remote line. This leaves me with one more pair of wires to get audio from the computer to the bedroom. I don't want to run another Cat5 from room to room.

I think what I want to do is use the digital out on the computer and just find an inexpensive DAC for the bedroom end of it. Any suggestions? I am also ASSuming that the twisted pair will be fine for the digital signal, is this correct? Any suggestions for an inexpensive IR receiver for the office?

I normally wouldn't use price as a factor but I have several car projects going on right now and I'd prefer to not pull money from their funds. How cheap could I get this done and still get reliable equipment?

Thanks
John
http://svo.stangnet.com

ToddB
08-19-2004, 12:10 AM
I haven't heard any of these, so keep that in mind. I'm also not entirely sure that I understand your wiring scheme, but as long as you do... :p

I've read nice things about the Channel Islands DAC, I think it costs around $350.

If you don't absolutely require a receiver, there's a Pioneer Elite integrated amp that sells for $200 from authorized dealers, although I've seen it for less from unauthorized ones. Of course, you don't get the warranty if you buy it from an unauthorized dealer. I would expect it to sound better than a comparably priced receiver.

EXCEPT that I've read incredibly favorable comments about the Panasonic digital receivers, and I believe that one of them sells for $200-$250. I think it's model number is XR25 or something like that. I seem to recall that it's been discontinued recently, but you might still be able to find remaining stock somewhere. It might be worth it to demo one to see if you think the hype is justified.

As far as the digital cable, I don't know. Kimber Kable makes a braided digital cable, but it uses three conductors. I don't recall ever seeing an unshielded twisted-pair digital cable. Since you've already got the cable, you could always try it and see how it works.

LumbermanSVO
08-19-2004, 01:44 PM
I think you got a bit confused about that I'm looking for, probably my fault though, I'm not so good at putting my thoughts to words sometimes.

I'm not looking for a stereo reciever, I already have one but it does not have a digital input. I am looking for an IR repeater so I can use my stereo remotes in the office. And of course, a DAC.

I have no problem with seeing if the UTP will work for the digital signal. I just prefer to ask first :)

ToddB
08-20-2004, 12:39 AM
Ah, now I understand. Sorry, I can't help you regarding the repeater. Hopefully, someone who can will chime in.