Attention Yamaha users... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Attention Yamaha users...

Lord Nikon
08-18-2004, 02:36 PM
At what -/+ db # volume level do you listen to movies and tv at? :)

mustang
08-18-2004, 02:52 PM
I have an RX-V1400. While watching casual TV my volume is at -20db or louder. While watching DVDs with the wife the volume is usally around -40db. When no one else is home it's more like -10db(with DVDs) and that shakes the house.

Woochifer
08-18-2004, 03:17 PM
Not sure where you're going with that question because there are plenty of variables involved. DVDs and CDs are mastered at different levels, speakers have different efficiency levels, room sizes and acoustics vary, etc. Also, a particular volume position with one Yamaha model might not correspond to the level output for a different model. I have a Yamaha RX-V800 and rarely go above -45 db for normal TV viewing, and -40 db for DVDs. However, a DVD recorded at a low level like Star Wars Ep.II, I might ratchet the volume position up to around -30 db. From what I've been seeing, the newer midlevel Yamahas, the normal listening position is about 10-20 db higher than with mine. But, that doesn't mean anything like the newer ones being underpowered, only that they have different calibration levels.

Willow
08-18-2004, 05:13 PM
for Tv 55 or 50 is what we listen to for DVD's it 45 or 40 some times 35...but for the guy who is at 10 you risk damaging your speakers or receiver !!

Lord Nikon
08-18-2004, 05:23 PM
I am starting to think that these receivers are all different. At 45 on mine, it's like a whisper. :) Of course I have to turn it up some more.

Wireworm5
08-18-2004, 05:29 PM
On mine for movies its usually at -30. Which is around 95-97 db C weighted fast response on spl meter. On some stuff I'll get clipping around -25 on the dial depending on the recording.

Willow
08-18-2004, 05:36 PM
I can;t beleive the guy at -10 thats overkill loud !! at that volume damage is in the future for sure

Woochifer
08-18-2004, 07:05 PM
On mine for movies its usually at -30. Which is around 95-97 db C weighted fast response on spl meter. On some stuff I'll get clipping around -25 on the dial depending on the recording.

95-97 db?! Hope you don't have any neighbors! That's plenty dang loud! For an average speaker, you're cutting pretty close to the clipping already at that point since the receiver's probably already delivering at least 10 watts to each channel. Not surprising that it takes only 5 db more to push the clipping point since most multichannel receivers can really only push about 25-60 watts per channel with all channels driven, because the specs only reflect one or two channels of output.

Woochifer
08-18-2004, 07:09 PM
I can;t beleive the guy at -10 thats overkill loud !! at that volume damage is in the future for sure

Well, in a large room with power hungry monitors or panel speakers, it's entirely possible that the actual sound level is the same at -10 db as in a smaller room with more efficient speakers playing at -40 db.

depressed
08-18-2004, 10:21 PM
Size of the room, architecture of the room, what the walls are made of, carpet or hardwood floors, furniture position/quantity, receiver specs, speakers specs,input strength etc... And then there is the subjective. Depends what time of the day day it is, how much noise have we been exposed to prior to listening music. Recently I went to rock concet and when I got home I listened to a CD I often enjoy and I had to turn it up 5 db's more then usual...
Movies -40 (DVD source)
Music -45 (CD source)
29'x14'x9 rooom

uncooked
08-18-2004, 10:33 PM
my yammy, is around -35 - -45 for tv, and i like -30 + for movies, if its just me at home i bring it down to about -15. but then again its in a big room that opens up to another big pool table room to the back right. but even still it goes dam loud.

kexodusc
08-19-2004, 05:04 AM
On TV, I hit -40 to -25 dB depending on the station with an average probably being about -30. That's comfortably loud for TV viewing. For concert and movie DVD's, I rarely go below -24, and that's fairly loud, but I can go to -18 on occasion if I throw some great rock music on and the fiancee's out of the house. I have 2 Adcom power amps hooked up to it because during loud peaks with 7 speakers, even my RX-V1400 is a little stressed.

Bryan
08-19-2004, 06:47 AM
Typically for TV and movies I'm at -20, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. For music, I enjoy it in the background so it resides at -40 (equates to 65dbs in the listening position).

kpzbee
08-19-2004, 10:57 AM
For movies, -30 & for tv -40 as an average. I've had some movies that I watched at -20.

Eric Z
08-19-2004, 12:24 PM
I have the 5760 and I listen to most DVDs at -20 and that is a good volume- a little loud with music scenes or explosions, but not too bad. CDs are listened to around -25 or -30.

Lord Nikon
08-19-2004, 03:10 PM
I have the 5760 and I listen to most DVDs at -20 and that is a good volume- a little loud with music scenes or explosions, but not too bad. CDs are listened to around -25 or -30.

Whoops sorry about reporting you. :)

This is the reason that the user gave:
Thats what I am getting too. I have that exact same receiver and wanted to see if it was normal for this receiver. I also think perhaps speaker size may have something to do with why these range by so much. I have bookshevlves as mains, but getting minitowers soon.

marky
08-19-2004, 06:37 PM
i have the rxv 2400 and im using klipsch rc25 and rb25 for the fronts and i have ar s20s as surrounds. i still haveto turn it till around -20 for tv viewing and dvds around -17. what gives? the sensitivity for the fronts around around 94. i thought they should be banging loud. i have all the speakers set to small and i didnt do automatic set up yet because its too loud where i live with all the cars going by.

mustang
08-20-2004, 06:52 AM
for Tv 55 or 50 is what we listen to for DVD's it 45 or 40 some times 35...but for the guy who is at 10 you risk damaging your speakers or receiver !!

I do appreciate your concern, but I can assure you there is no risk of damage at that level. I think what Lord Nikon is getting at is that there seems to be a vast region of the volume control that goes unused. The YAMAHAs offer two ways of representing the volume: by dbs and by displaying bars. If you compare the two you can see that at -10db the unit isn't even at half its output. Beyond that point the volume begins to increase substantially. Keep in mind that the level control on the 1400 is -80db to +16.5db. The reason I have invested thousnds of dollars in my home theater system and DVD collection is to have that theater experience at home. I certainly don't listen to my system that loud constantly, just upon occasion. All I can say is that at -40db while watching DVDs is quite unsatisfying. I think many YAMAHA users just seem to think that they have their volume cranked up and aren't getting much back when in fact there is plenty of power to use. P.S. I happen to be running 7 BOSE speakers and a modified JBL sub with a DLS TITANIC driver. Front and surround speakers set to LARGE. Center and surround back speakers set to SMALL.

Astro
08-23-2004, 11:16 PM
ok i duno what is going on but i have the 1400 and for dvds i listen to around -10 / -14 dbs and this on my spl gets around 115 dbs with a fairly big explosion. No sign at all of the speakers clipping and the amp isnt even at half way at -10dbs. Its totally safe as long as you have the speaker setttings set right.

kexodusc
08-24-2004, 03:59 AM
115 dB 's???? I hope you live in a forest...far away from neighbors.
Err...ever been arrested for disturbing the peace??? :)

wasch_24
08-25-2004, 05:47 PM
I have the RX-V1400 and Boston Acoutics all around...typically the volume meter stays at
-35 to -30. If I am in the mood to have my socks knocked off during a movie I'll bump it up to -24...any higher and things start falling off the shelves up stairs.

toenail
08-27-2004, 04:44 PM
RX-V 450

-35 for most tv

varies -30 to -20 dvd's

varies a ton -45 to -15 cd's

Most burned cd's I own are recorded low and need the extra boost. Some store bought are loud at -40.

Average listening level for me is about 70db ( neighbors downstairs most of the time ) c weighted slow on the Rat Shack meter.

Willow
08-31-2004, 03:28 PM
I did not know that that receiver went on the + side of dbls... I still think -10 is loud more than what is needed ..well maybe for a party. anyhoot what you do is your business. I think it's too loud..if you kill your speakers..well then...

KRiTiKaL
08-31-2004, 05:55 PM
Yeah my levels are usually:

DVD -10 to -20
TV -25 to -35
Music +10 to -50(at night)

When I was breaking in my speakers, I had it on +10(aprox) playing cable radio. Wasnt overbearing one bit. I still have yet to see how far the volume goes, usually -10 is the max needed in my situation.