Anyone Upgrading XP to Service2? I'm not Heard it Messes up Nero Software & much more [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Upgrading XP to Service2? I'm not Heard it Messes up Nero Software & much more

hershon
08-17-2004, 12:32 PM
Has any upgraded or planning to upgrade their Windows XP software to Service Pack 2? I was planning too, in fact my computer was set to automatic update, when I read that this upgrade may screw up a bunch of your programs/applications such as Nero DVD Software, Norton AntiVirus and many more. So I turned the update feature off and won't be
downloading this stuff until they get rid of all the kinks. I don't know how they can be putting this stuff out when its doing more harm than good?

jamison
08-17-2004, 02:03 PM
I havent heard anything about bugs yet. I have my update set to notify me before any updates so it wont download automatically. I can believe there will be bugs, how many times have updates came out without any bugs.
for now i will wait and see what other peoples experiences are. i have not yet gotten the update.

they have to keep their service techs employed dont they?

LOL

hershon
08-17-2004, 02:35 PM
I think Mircrosoft has a full list of the programs/applications being affected and there are many. It was posted on Yahoo yesterday. I've had my microsoft update page set to automatic till I found out about this yesterday, thank God I caught this in time. If you have moderate compouter knowledge and use DVD copying software, use Nortons AntiVirus (sadly I admit I'm back on this), etc., I wouldn't download this update.

Woochifer
08-17-2004, 02:45 PM
Pretty typical of Microsoft for them to roll out a product way before it's ready. The saying "Microsoft, Where Quality is Job 1.1" was not written in a vacuum. MS has a long history of putting out programs that are top heavy with features that will dazzle the tech magazine editors and fill up a box cover, but are slower for everyday functions, more cumbersome to use, filled with ill-conceived logical lapses (e.g. why is it that in Excel, workbooks get added to the left when in English we count numbers to the right?), and not especially stable with the first release. XP was a surprisingly stable product out of the box.

SP1 caused numerous problems on some machines when it first came out with slowdowns and crashes. But, I've read that the main problems with SP2 have more to do with changes in the defaults, such as activating the firewall by default and switching some of the port settings, that are designed to plug the security holes in XP. I guess my question is if these security issues were so serious that they're willing to "break" programs right now, then why didn't they just design a more secure OS in the first place? Personally, I would just wait it out and let others go through the teething pains, and Microsoft to release the patches that fix whatever bugs are in SP2.

Or you could just go by the adege that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Here's list of the applications, so far, that MS has flagged as having problems with SP2.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=842242

hershon
08-17-2004, 03:11 PM
Thanks for listing

Pretty typical of Microsoft for them to roll out a product way before it's ready. The saying "Microsoft, Where Quality is Job 1.1" was not written in a vacuum. MS has a long history of putting out programs that are top heavy with features that will dazzle the tech magazine editors and fill up a box cover, but are slower for everyday functions, more cumbersome to use, filled with ill-conceived logical lapses (e.g. why is it that in Excel, workbooks get added to the left when in English we count numbers to the right?), and not especially stable with the first release. XP was a surprisingly stable product out of the box.

SP1 caused numerous problems on some machines when it first came out with slowdowns and crashes. But, I've read that the main problems with SP2 have more to do with changes in the defaults, such as activating the firewall by default and switching some of the port settings, that are designed to plug the security holes in XP. I guess my question is if these security issues were so serious that they're willing to "break" programs right now, then why didn't they just design a more secure OS in the first place? Personally, I would just wait it out and let others go through the teething pains, and Microsoft to release the patches that fix whatever bugs are in SP2.

Or you could just go by the adege that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Here's list of the applications, so far, that MS has flagged as having problems with SP2.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=842242

Worf101
08-18-2004, 06:53 AM
There's a list a mile long of online games you'll NOT be able to play because of SP-2's "new and improved" firewall. Man what a mess this is. CNET even suggested as long as a 2 weeks ago that folks should "wait till Microsoft fixes the bugs in the 'fixes'". That was good enough warning for me to stay away.

Da Worfster :cool: