Denon DVD-2200 first impression [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Denon DVD-2200 first impression

Angry Neighbors
12-06-2003, 05:38 PM
Got the Denon 2200 a couple days ago and have watched about 3 movies on it and have not been to impressed with the video quality. This is my first progressive scan player having switched from a Pioneer DV-440 (Awesome $150.00 cheap player two years ago) to now a mid level DVD player that plays DVD audio and SACD. I did a Denon 2200 component video vs. the Pioneer 440 S-video test and the pioneer had a sharper picture and did'nt look washed out like the Denon! The Denon did have a very little color advantage. I thought the $550.00 Progessive Scan player with the Silicon Image chip would blow away the cheap Pioneer. Maybe I have to do some tweaking on this player and get the Avia disc but every thing else on the system looks perfect. If i don't get this thing dialed in in the next couple weeks it will be going back to good guys! I bought one SACD to test my virgin ears (Pink Floyd) and that did sound very good. I do not use cheap cables and so far i'm a little disappointed. Should I have got something with the Faroudja chip or am I being to quick to judge?

My system

Denon 2801
Denon DVD-2200
Mitsubishi HS-U748 VCR
Samsung TS-160 HDTV SATELLITE
MITSUBISHI 2004 55" WS-55613
PARADIGM STUDIO 60v2 FRONTS
PARADIGM STUDIO CC CENTER
PARADIGM PW-2200 SUB
PARADIGM MINI MONITORS v2 REARS

jmracura
04-25-2004, 12:25 AM
How is your player doing now that you have had it for while? That's if you still have it? I just bought one myself and can't wait to connect to my 3803 receiver...

Has build quality been up to par?

Angry Neighbors
04-26-2004, 07:55 PM
I was to quick to reply, as soon as I got the avia disk it made a world of difference! It's not a forgiving player but on some movies, the picture is second to none.

jmracura
04-26-2004, 10:01 PM
What is the avia disk? Is this something I could use as well? I see you bought it at Good Guys... did you opt for the extended warranty?

What about cables? I haven't bought any for use with the SACD feature. What did you use?