Audio Quality. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Audio Quality.

dsquare
08-17-2004, 08:42 AM
Will having a receiver with only spring-clip speaker connections degrade the sound quality of my speakers, as compare to spade-plug / banana-plug connections? According to Panasonic website, large speaker terminals allow the full potential of your speakers, is it true?

Bryan
08-17-2004, 08:49 AM
No. This being said, the other terminals are better as they allow more contact with the speaker cable, assuming you do bare wire, and offer more choices such as banana plugs or spades. The more contact the terminal has with the wire the better. It will not degrade the sound though the speakers may not sound as good as they otherwise would with different terminals.

topspeed
08-17-2004, 09:25 AM
It will not degrade the sound though the speakers may not sound as good as they otherwise would with different terminals.
Uhh, you wanna run that one by me one more time or would you like to rephrase that?

It sounds like your implying that spring clips will deliver the all of the signal available (hence no degradation of sound) yet a 5 way binding posts will actually somehow improve the sound?

Just bustin' your chops, Bryan.

Dsquare;
Just go buy some pin style clips and they'll work fine. I had to do the same thing with my ol' Marantz because let's face it, there's no way you'll get decent gauge wire in those tiny holes. These work fine and you can probably find a very similar product at your local Rat Shack.
http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=610

Hope this helps.

ToddB
08-18-2004, 12:26 AM
For further reading, you might want to check out the Terminations portion of this page: http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/solder-t.htm
at Jon Risch's website. It starts about halfway down the page.

Although I can see how the poor connections made by spring clips could limit current, and therefore reduce dynamics, I'm not sure at what resolution level this becomes a significantly obvious problem. I've used spring clip connectors on entry-level receivers, and am currently using them on my Hsu sub, seemingly with no problems. Like Bryan said, other connectors are better, but the spring clips will probably work adequately.

markw
08-18-2004, 03:53 AM
Pin clips, as longas the wires are fully inserted and tight, provide just as much "sound" as the other types. The fact that others can maintain a tight connection is a consideration if they wil be subject to movement. If no movement is anticipated, don't lose any sleep over it.

While spade lugs and banana plugs look "beefier" and provide a more permanant connection, they all transfer the sound equally well. Given my druthers, I'd go for bananas forconvenience sake but if you don't have that choice, don't worry. enjoy.

topspeed
08-18-2004, 10:21 AM
...you can't be right...you are not quoting chapter and verse from Chairman Jon...you know, the same guy who tries to impress the newbies with his laundry list of anecdotal links, and quotes results from IBM lab experiments run in a vacuum, at absolute zero and tries to relate that to the real world...

Gee, I thought we saw the last of that claptrap awhile ago...but lookee there, he has his fifth-columnist shills sewing the seeds for his impending resurrection...

jimHJJ(...one if by land, two if by sea...)
This is classic example of the problems with this forum.

Dsquare received constructive, honest replys representing two different ideologies. Assuming the poster can read, he/she can now come to their own conclusion as to which is right or wrong.

And then we get this...

Attack the idea, not the person.

JSE
08-18-2004, 10:44 AM
I have a older Marantz 4400 (I think that's the model) from the late seventies that produces unbelievable open warm sound that blows away most A/V receivers today and it has spring clips. Of course it's now dead and the sound is gone. :( Point is, spring clipes are fine. Enjoy the music and HT and don't worry about it.

JSE

Uptown Audio
08-22-2004, 11:26 AM
Spring clips themselves will not cause a receiver or amplifier to sound bad, but virtually all receivers and amplifiers of good quality use 5-way binding posts. The use of the cheaper spring clip is a dead give-away to the use of cheap parts throughout, so the clips might be considered an indicator of overall build quality which could be translated into sound quality.
-Bill

Will having a receiver with only spring-clip speaker connections degrade the sound quality of my speakers, as compare to spade-plug / banana-plug connections? According to Panasonic website, large speaker terminals allow the full potential of your speakers, is it true?

topspeed
08-22-2004, 10:44 PM
Spring clips themselves will not cause a receiver or amplifier to sound bad, but virtually all receivers and amplifiers of good quality use 5-way binding posts. The use of the cheaper spring clip is a dead give-away to the use of cheap parts throughout, so the clips might be considered an indicator of overall build quality which could be translated into sound quality.
-Bill

If you are talking current production units then maybe you have something, however older units such JSE's and my Marantz are equipped with spring clips and I guarantee you the parts are far better than you'll find in many of today's so-called "hi-end" receivers. In fact, not only does my ancient 30wpc 2230 sound better than my Denon 3803, I'd put it against just about any receiver you care to mention.

Uptown Audio
08-23-2004, 10:09 AM
If you are talking current production units then maybe you have something, however older units such JSE's and my Marantz are equipped with spring clips and I guarantee you the parts are far better than you'll find in many of today's so-called "hi-end" receivers. In fact, not only does my ancient 30wpc 2230 sound better than my Denon 3803, I'd put it against just about any receiver you care to mention.

Of course we are talking about current models as that is what the poster wants to buy. Besides they are also the only types that have the fully discrete multi-channel capability such as DD, DTS, if that is what they are after. I appreciate the careful and heavy build of older units also, but you need to consider the technology that has been developed since as well. The components that look so nice in the older units are in fact, just larger. Modern production methods and new materials and design have created board level components such as resistors and capacitors that are actually very much more accurate, despite their smaller size.
Truely, the cheapo receiver units made today pale in comparison to even some older amplifiers, but the better units such as the N A D T573 and up are scarily good in terms of sound quality. They are not as heavy as some of the older gear per channel, but then they are being forced to cram 80lbs of parts into a 50lb sack. That is where the miniaturization comes in and unfortunately the problem of servicability. It's half the manufacturers fault by wanting to save on construction costs and half the consumers fault for insisting on lower prices. You get what you are willing to pay for, so be careful what you wish for!

piece-it pete
08-23-2004, 11:20 AM
Hey TS,

The spring clips on my Marantz 1152dc will take banana plugs - barely. Yours might too.

I split the wire into 2 sets and run them to a AND b for greater contact. Don't know if it matters, didn't cost anything and makes me feel better.

Just FYI!

Pete

hifitommy
08-23-2004, 05:44 PM
nad 3020/5020 ferinstnace (i enjoyed these products VERY much). BUT i always wished they had at least screw terminals for wire or spade lugs. the equip that comes w/spring clips is low to mid fi USUALLY. discerning diffs with that level of equip is mostly a crapshoot.

its not to say that some equip cant be VERY good and use those connections but as you follow the upgade path, look for 5 way connectors or screws for spade lugs. bigger/better power needs better connections. also, look to go for separates. better build quality and more versatility, and yes, more expense which you would expect as you ascend the ladder.

enjoy what you have or can afford, look forward to improvements as you progress.