Steely Dan lyric interpretations [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Steely Dan lyric interpretations

-Jar-
08-17-2004, 07:12 AM
I found this site while looking around for any thoughts on the song "Gaucho".. (that song gets stuck in my head every so often.. I needed to find some interpretations of the lyrics)

http://www.feverdreams.net/

Awesome and addictive. Have fun!

There's an awesome interpretation of the song "Deacon Blues" .. the writer's thought was that it's about a young priest ("Deacon" being a religious term) who leaves the seminary for a life of drinking and jazz (he "learned to work the saxophone" as a sort of rebellion).. his only way out of the mess he's in (not really wanting to be a spiritual "expanding man") is to head into town and crawl like a viper through the streets, making love to all the women he can, drink whiskey all night long and die behind the wheel.

-jar

Mr MidFi
08-17-2004, 11:28 AM
Time Out of Mind is about smoking brown heroin, that much I know. And Home At Last is a retelling of the Illiad (or is that the Aenaeid?).

Gaucho is a funny story-telling song involving a desk manager at a swanky hotel with "heavy rollers" who is trying hard to shoo away his buddy, who is apparently trying to check in for a seedy interlude with a gay South American prostitute. Or at least, that's how I understand it. I'll click on your link now to see if I've missed something.