Def Leppard on MFSL [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Def Leppard on MFSL

Dave_G
08-17-2004, 04:56 AM
Anyone here have the 2 Def Leppard titles that MFSL put out?

Any good?

Thanks -

Dave

Peter_Klim
08-17-2004, 09:08 AM
Anyone here have the 2 Def Leppard titles that MFSL put out?

Any good?

Thanks -

Dave

What's "MFSL"?

Dave_G
08-17-2004, 09:17 AM
Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs.

They made gold cd's a few years ago then went out of business. In general their remasters were excellent.

Dave

N. Abstentia
08-17-2004, 10:55 AM
They're actually still in business, although no longer producing those older remasters.

I have Pyromania, mainly because I collect MFSL discs, if I remember correctly it had almost no bottom end whatsoever. But that is not MFSL's fault if it was recorded that way, but I'm not sure why they bothered with it unless the originial CD was atrocious or something.

I'm looking to get Hysteria for collectors sake, and that was one of the tapes I grew up with!

-Jar-
08-17-2004, 11:42 AM
They're actually still in business, although no longer producing those older remasters.

I have Pyromania, mainly because I collect MFSL discs, if I remember correctly it had almost no bottom end whatsoever. But that is not MFSL's fault if it was recorded that way, but I'm not sure why they bothered with it unless the originial CD was atrocious or something.

I'm looking to get Hysteria for collectors sake, and that was one of the tapes I grew up with!

When I was 12 I thought PYROMANIA was the coolest sounding album I'd ever heard. Totally huge and epic and modern. State of the art. Now it sounds so completely dated and synthetic. Still enjoyable, but so 80's. Mutt Lange chose trend over timelessness. I'll take a Martin Birch produced Iron Maiden album any day because they will stand the test of time. All of their Post-Beast albums sound great. No overprocessing or synth drums or any of that crap. Even when they added some synths later on in SOMEWHERE IN TIME and SEVENTH SON they still sounded great. But now look at Judas Priest. Albums like STAINED CLASS and HELL BENT FOR LEATHER are still classics, still way listenable.. timeless. TURBO? You have to keep from laughing at that production. Even DEFENDERS.. which I'll always love for its music, is extremely processed, sounded like it was recording in some digital echo chamber..

I guess I just can't imagine how Mobile Fidelity can make a Def Leppard album sound better. What would you say? If an MFSL cd normally sounds "more natural" than the regular issue, then .. would a Def Leppard MFSL cd sound "more artificial" ? :-)

-jar