speaker blown ??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : speaker blown ???

cairo
08-16-2004, 08:11 PM
I think my center channel may be blown. I have a yamaha ns-ac40x running off of a yamaha rx-v1400. When I turn it on the speaker sounds very hollow and you can barely hear it. And when I turn it up to about -10db the receiver shuts off and says "check speaker wires." So I thought it was the receiver. But when I hook up my old pioneer center speaker which is much weaker and smaller I can turn the volume a lot higher and the receiver does not shut off.

Is my center speaker blown?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Worf101
08-17-2004, 05:33 AM
There's a couple of things I would do. Not being familiar with that particular speaker I'm making these suggestions on spec.

1. Check your wiring to the suspect center, make sure you're not touching wires to each other, thereby shorting out the speaker.

2. If you're wiring's good from receiver to posts, you may want to open her up and check the internal wiring for shorts or crossover's.

3. If neither of these problems are the root cause, try calling Yammie tech support or check their website and see if this problem is common or if they have a solution.

Hope this helps...

Da Worfster

toquemon
08-19-2004, 02:20 PM
Yes, i think your speaker has blown away. Maybe you need to check the fuse of your speaker (if has any). Another thing you could do is checking the polarity of the cables, maybe you're connecting it out of phase.