2 of the best movies I've seen this year [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 2 of the best movies I've seen this year

Mr Peabody
08-16-2004, 06:11 PM
I just recently watched Second Hand Lions. This was an awesome movie, it had comedy, drama, action and was not just another Hollywood cookie cutout. This is a must see.

Another great movie is Butterfly Effect. Sometimes you're better off not reading the box. If anyone is like me and has a young audience watching with you this movie deserves it's R rating but most of the images and language was germaine to the script. This is the best thriller I've seen since 6th Sense.

agree? disagree? Watch them and see.

mtrycraft
08-16-2004, 07:48 PM
I just recently watched Second Hand Lions. This was an awesome movie, it had comedy, drama, action and was not just another Hollywood cookie cutout. This is a must see.

Another great movie is Butterfly Effect. Sometimes you're better off not reading the box. If anyone is like me and has a young audience watching with you this movie deserves it's R rating but most of the images and language was germaine to the script. This is the best thriller I've seen since 6th Sense.

I saw the second film. I liked it. A friend walked out though, didn't like the cat burning. What is the first about?

Lexmark3200
08-16-2004, 10:18 PM

Peabody,

I agree regarding Butterfly Effect; saw this theatrically when in debuted in a theater in Vegas, and bought the DVD for my girlfriend when it came out; in fact, I did a review of it in this forum. The audio portion of the disc, in DTS ES, was outstanding work by New Line Cinema's home video team....I mean absolutely reference quality material.

Worf101
08-17-2004, 05:41 AM
I saw the second film. I liked it. A friend walked out though, didn't like the cat burning. What is the first about?

It was a dog dude, not a cat. No way you could ever get a cat in a burlap bag... lol.

No seriously. I enjoyed both films very much. The Butterfuly Effect was a very pleasent surprise. I'd no familiarity with Mr. Kutscher and didn't know his television work at all. The entiere premise was interesting and kept me guessing and riveted from start to end and that's saying something...

Second Hand Lions was "fair", it could've been great but for some reasons the performances just didn't ring true to me. I know it was supposed to be a fairy tale... one of those "Southern Fables" but it just never caught fire for me. Decent family fare though...

Da Worfster

Dusty Chalk
08-18-2004, 06:16 AM
Yeah, I thoroughly enjoyed Butterfly Effect. I hope you watched both endings, though. They make for extremely different overall effects of the movie.

I've heard good things about Second-hand Lions, but have not seen it.

Mr Peabody
08-19-2004, 05:44 PM
I don't want to give the movie away, but it's about this not much of a mother who takes her boy to stay with her 2 long lost uncles who supposedly have an ungodly amount of money stashed somewhere. These two are really a couple of characters. They live out in the middle of Texas and don't have any TV or modern stuff for this kid.

The movie worked for me because I enjoyed the 2 uncles so much and I liked the little mystery thing. I also liked that it was unique compared to the mostly crap that comes out. It's also one of those movies that takes you through many emotions, it has comedy, action and some intense moments.

ToddB
08-27-2004, 01:27 AM
Second Hand Lions was nice enough, but I haven't seen The Butterfly Effect. Of the movies I have seen this year, my top two would probably have to be Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind, and The United States Of Leland. Definitely not movies for kids, though.

dean_martin
08-27-2004, 07:58 AM
Yeah, I thoroughly enjoyed Butterfly Effect. I hope you watched both endings, though. They make for extremely different overall effects of the movie.

OK, I rented this and watched the director's cut. I intended to watch the theatrical realease before taking it back, but simply didn't have the time. I was impressed with this film. It was able to portray the risk of exercising the main character's "gift" through suspense effectively. It kept me on the edge of my seat. Does the theatrical release have a different ending or does the director's cut incorporate that ending and add alternatives (which does seem possible considering the number of times the main character tried to "get things right" in the director's cut)? I guess I need to know whether I should rent it again.

kpzbee
08-27-2004, 05:27 PM
I to have seen Second hand Lions. It is definetly worth seeing. It's really different. I'm wanting to see The Butterfly Effect when I get some time.

Dusty Chalk
08-27-2004, 06:47 PM
OK, I rented this and watched the director's cut. I intended to watch the theatrical realease before taking it back, but simply didn't have the time. I was impressed with this film. It was able to portray the risk of exercising the main character's "gift" through suspense effectively. It kept me on the edge of my seat. Does the theatrical release have a different ending or does the director's cut incorporate that ending and add alternatives (which does seem possible considering the number of times the main character tried to "get things right" in the director's cut)? I guess I need to know whether I should rent it again.Well, we didn't watch the whole movie, but were fortunate enough to have been told to at least watch the ending, so we flipped the DVD over, went to scene selection, and watched just the ending. I don't know if it's worth renting just for the alternate ending, so I PM'd you a verbal description.

But I would recommend anyone renting it in the future to at least watch the ending to both films.