Best of '03 time [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best of '03 time

Slosh
12-06-2003, 04:31 PM
Well, the roads here are cleared now but nobody wants to do anything so I'm kinda stuck here at home tonight so maybe all of you lurkers out there can submit your best of list '03 and see if it meets my approval :rolleyes:

My list is all off the cuff so may change at any time ;)

10. Fruit Bats - Mouthfuls This is a Daveydot discovery and I sure am glad I got exposed to it. Mostly 70s-sounding acoustic pop which proved to be quite infectious. Kinda like a Jersey version of Gorky's Zygotic Mynci

9. Earlimart - Everyone Down Here This one took a while to grow on me. Sort of a slowed down, more somber Grandaddy

8. The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow Acoustipop done right

7. Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks - Pig Lib Malko goes 70s guitar-god here. Not as hook-laden as his s/t but great as always and retains much of that Pavement sound

6. The Decemberists - Her Majesty - The Decemberists Much more challenging than Castaways & Cutouts but just as rewarding

5. Radiohead - Hail To The Thief Harder edged than their last few with a welcome return to more guitar-based songs. It may not break new ground but isn't quite like anything else they've done either

4. Super Furry Animals - Phantom Power Welsh indie-esque pop with a nod to Pink Floyd. Great stuff!

3. Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism A bit darker than some of their previous albums but definitely of the same ilk. They can do no wrong to my ears

2. Grandaddy - Sumday Just an amazing album. Much more power-pop than their more proggy Sophtware Slump, but equally as stellar. This album is full of catchy guitar riffs with interesting synth lines and about the best use of campy lyrics I can think of. Great sonics as well

1. Calexico - Feast Of Wire This one kinda caught me by surprise. Although I did like it very much from day one, I didn't think I would put it in my top position even months after I got. But looking back, I listened to this more than any other album this year so I gotta be honest. This album sounds like the desert west with a heavy blend of traditional western/mexicana guitar, all the while incorporating markedly untraditional synth and seemingly random odd noises and even some jazz here and there and it keeps things interesting and memorable

also-rans:
The Wrens
Broken Social Scene (although technically it's a 2002 release)
Cursive
Enon
Wheat
Andrew Bird
The White Stripes
A Perfect Circle
Jane's Addiction
Califone
Tracker
Songs: Ohia

All in all a very good year and of course there's a ton of stuff out there that I haven't heard yet and no doubt a lot I'm not even aware of yet. So what do you guys like?

Dusty Chalk
12-06-2003, 05:12 PM
I don't know my top 10 yet, but my number one is pretty clear cut, and an absolutely astounding disc would have to be released (or belatedly heard) in order to oust it from its top spot:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00009B8CL.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Matt Elliott, The Mess We Made

This is not for everyone, but it certainly was for me. Recommended for those who like tremendous moodiness to their electronica-backed music with a certain organic feel.

Read my review here (http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44080). Also, check it out at Amazon, and check out the list of "Customers who bought this title also bought..." -- I have every one of those, and like them all. Yes, even the Esmerine. I think.

The Calexico is probably up there in my top 10 of 2003, too. Painter's Palette by Ephel Duath is also up there. EDIT: Gotta add Laika -- that's definitely in my top 10.

Hey, Beth Gibbons' album only just made it onto my 2002 list!

tentoze
12-06-2003, 06:01 PM
Well, the roads here are cleared now but nobody wants to do anything so I'm kinda stuck here at home tonight so maybe all of you lurkers out there can submit your best of list '03 and see if it meets my approval :rolleyes:

-snip-snip-

All in all a very good year and of course there's a ton of stuff out there that I haven't heard yet and no doubt a lot I'm not even aware of yet. So what do you guys like?

Arright, I'll air mine out, with very little commentary:

10) Sun Kil Moon, Ghosts of the Great Highway- pretty sure this one would go higher if it had come out a few months ago.

9) British Sea Power- same comment as 10)

8) Band of Blacky Ranchette, Still Looking Good To Me- Howe Gelb and friends make an imminently likeable record.

7) Holopaw, S/T- the 1st 2003 disk I bought this year, as I recall.

6) Joan Armatrading, Lovers Speak- brilliant. She does everything on this record but play drums and sweep out the studio.

5) Lucinda, World Without Tears- so shoot me, I really like this disk.

4) Richard Thompson, Old Kit Bag- sometimes the old guys still do it right.

3) Jay Farrar, Terroir Blues- So good it's scary.

2) Decemberists, Castaways & Cutouts- excellento

1) Songs: Ohia, Magnolia Electric Co.- Period. Winner by a long shot.

:cool:

Jim Clark
12-06-2003, 06:46 PM
That would be jumping the gun for me. How about a list of what I'd still like to get in 2003:

Calexico-Feast of Wire
The Stills-Logic Will Break Your Heart
Rapture-Echoes
Joe Strummer-Streetcore
and KMFDM's WWIII which I think may be just the thing to fill my major rock out craving.

Guess I need to place an order soon.

jc

Finch Platte
12-06-2003, 06:47 PM
6) Joan Armatrading, Lovers Speak- brilliant. She does everything on this record but play drums and sweep out the studio.

Glad to hear she's still releasing good stuff. I was into her a long while ago, but kinda went somewhere else.

I might have to pick this up- are you a huge fan, or is this a disc you bought on the spur o' the moment and liked?

fp

Hey, and congrats to Jimsee for becoming 'regular.' :D

Slosh
12-06-2003, 06:55 PM
7) Holopaw, S/T- the 1st 2003 disk I bought this year, as I recall.

I've been meaning to pick this one up all year. Guess I haven't yet because what I've heard, while excellent, sounds so much like Ugly Casanova's Sharpen Your Teeth. Wait a sec...that's a good thing!

Thanks to you I also need to grab me one of them Jay Farrar ceedees as well :)

BTW, Castaways was rereleased by Kill Rock Stars this year. Yeah, I'm anal and my copy is that very KRS issue.

tentoze
12-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Glad to hear she's still releasing good stuff. I was into her a long while ago, but kinda went somewhere else.

I might have to pick this up- are you a huge fan, or is this a disc you bought on the spur o' the moment and liked?

fp

Hey, and congrats to Jimsee for becoming 'regular.' :D

This is the first new release from her since, I think, '95 or so. I've got most of her catalog, except greatest hits thangs- this one is as good as anything she's ever done.

:)

tentoze
12-06-2003, 07:35 PM
I've been meaning to pick this one up all year. Guess I haven't yet because what I've heard, while excellent, sounds so much like Ugly Casanova's Sharpen Your Teeth. Wait a sec...that's a good thing!

Thanks to you I also need to grab me one of them Jay Farrar ceedees as well :)

BTW, Castaways was rereleased by Kill Rock Stars this year. Yeah, I'm anal and my copy is that very KRS issue.

Yeh, I know- I know about Castaways being a re-release. I'm using the "loose constructionist" approach here- mine sez 2003, and so it made my list ............;)
The new one could just as easily be substituted for Castaways, for that matter.

I get a little irritated these days at 31 min. cd's, but the Holopaw is 31 damn good minutes.

Davey.
12-06-2003, 09:59 PM
Time already? Yeah, I guess so. I'm not ready though. Probably be ten selected from the list of 20 below. Sometime next week. With short (or maybe even long for some) descriptions. Maybe. I like your list but mine will be different. Bold move placing Calexico on top. But I like it :)

Okkervil River - Down the River of Golden Dreams
The Blithe Sons - We Walk the Young Earth
Head of Femur - Ringodom or Proctor
Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People
British Sea Power - The Decline of British Sea Power
Califone - Quicksand/Cradlesnakes
Songs: Ohia - Magnolia Electric Co
Holopaw - Holopaw
Cat Power - You Are Free
Radiohead - Hail To The Thief
Calla - Televise
The Twilight Singers - Blackberry Belle
Over The Rhine - Ohio
Laika - Wherever I Am I Am What Is Missing
Super Furry Animals - Phantom Power
The Wrens - The Meadowlands
The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow
Manitoba - Up In Flames
My Morning Jacket - It Still Moves
Calexico - Feast of Wire

Davey.
12-06-2003, 10:10 PM
8) Band of Blacky Ranchette, Still Looking Good To Me- Howe Gelb and friends make an imminently likeable record.
I really like that song on your year-ender with Howe, Richard Buckner and especially Neko Case. Very cool. I never even heard he had put out this album until your comp. You must have connections all over Vegas. Howe Gelb has been releasing things overseas and with different names....kind of like that crazy Will Oldham has done over the years. I guess Giant Sand is probably over for good with the success Calexico is enjoying now. It was really nice to hear them all together on the last Neko Case album, though. They have quite a synergy at times. Of course, John and Joey in Calexico have a pretty fine synergy on their own as well. Must be tough on Howe to see his band mates and good friends go on to such success without him, while his career stays down at a much more obscure level.

So anyway, I was meaning to ask you how the rest of that Howe Gelb album was but I guess you answered already by placing it on your top ten. How'd ya find out about it? Unklebob?

tentoze
12-06-2003, 11:03 PM
I really like that song on your year-ender with Howe, Richard Buckner and especially Neko Case. Very cool. I never even heard he had put out this album until your comp. You must have connections all over Vegas. Howe Gelb has been releasing things overseas and with different names....kind of like that crazy Will Oldham has done over the years. I guess Giant Sand is probably over for good with the success Calexico is enjoying now. It was really nice to hear them all together on the last Neko Case album, though. They have quite a synergy at times. Of course, John and Joey in Calexico have a pretty fine synergy on their own as well. Must be tough on Howe to see his band mates and good friends go on to such success without him, while his career stays down at a much more obscure level.

So anyway, I was meaning to ask you how the rest of that Howe Gelb album was but I guess you answered already by placing it on your top ten. How'd ya find out about it? Unklebob?

Nope, I turned HIM on to it..... :p I think I saw a blurb about it on insound.com that got my attention initially. It's a fine piece of work, I think, as long as the music matters more to you than the production values. The notes for the songs indicate where each was recorded, such as, "Hand-held field recording", "Recorded near birds", Recorded on the fly", or "Recorded outside the Nashville airport." Some are normal studio-type recordings and sound great, though, a couple of live performance cuts as well. The opening cut, "Train Singer's Song", gets stuck in my head constantly. It's a definite KEEPER.

Here's what I said about it on the old forums when I bought it.

http://forums14.consumerreview.com/default/images/spacer.gif"Mostly The Band of Blacky Ranchette's new one-"http://forums14.consumerreview.com/default/images/spacer.gif
Posted by: tentoze Oct-28-03, 10:16 AM

http://forums14.consumerreview.com/default/images/spacer.gif"Still Looking Good To Me"-Howe Gelb's decidedly lo-fi side project that features appearances by R. Buckner, Neko Case, Chan Marshall, Lambchop's Kurt Wagner, and Calexico. A wonderful seat-of-the-pants affair: standout cut- a duet by Neko and Buckner. If you even think you like Gelb, go buy it now.

Swish
12-07-2003, 08:29 AM
If I had to name my favorites, I'm not sure I could pick 10. How about a top 5?

Broken Social Scene - You Forgot it in People (could be my #1)

Songs: Ohia - Magnolia Electric Company

The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow

Ok, that's only three, but they're easily my three favorites from this year. There are plenty more that I like, many of which you guys have already mentioned (Cala, Calexico, My Morning Jacket, the Twilight Singers), but I can't say I like any of them as much as these three. Of course, my memory ain't what it used to be, so maybe I need to dig through my pile of "new releases" and see if I've missed anyone.

Swish Baby

Stone
12-07-2003, 09:03 AM
I'll do my list sometime in January if I have time, because there are some albums I still haven't listened to much (not to mention it's not the end of the year yet).

Here are my likely top three though:

(3) Sufjan Stevens - Greetings from Michigan . . .

(2) Clearlake - Cedars

(1) The Wrens - The Meadowlands

Others in contention for the top ten include Killing Joke, Joe Strummer, Shins, British Sea Power, Ten Grand, Frog Eyes, June Carter Cash, Blood Brothers, Calexico, and a few others.

BTW, I'm not counting You Forgot It In People and the Delgado's Hate as 2003 releases (or they would both be in my top 10).

Davey.
12-07-2003, 09:14 AM
BTW, I'm not counting You Forgot It In People and the Delgado's Hate as 2003 releases (or they would both be in my top 10).
Why not? BSS was released in 2003, at least in the US. From my understanding, very few people got the opportunity to hear it in 2002. But suit yourself. I'm calling it a 2003 even though I bought it in Canada, because it wasn't really available to "normal" people in the US or Canada until about March. And I don't remember seeing it on any 2002 lists. But conversely, I wouldn't put Neon Golden or the Beth Gibbons/Rustin Man albums on my list since I bought them in years past and already used them on year end lists. But I wouldn't have a problem if someone in the US had either on their list.

Stone
12-07-2003, 09:28 AM
Why not?

Anal retentiveness, my friend. Anal retentiveness.

I know BSS came out in the U.S. in 2003, but I was actually trying to find it in 2002.

Davey.
12-07-2003, 09:38 AM
....but I was actually trying to find it in 2002.
But that's my point, you probably couldn't find it unless you worked for the Arts & Crafts label cause they barely pressed enough last year to supply their industry connections. Not that it really matters to anyone, but it seems like many of us are labeling it a 2003 release. Anal retentiveness is not a badge of honor to be displayed proudly, my friend :)

EDIT: Hey, btw I've had that Clearlake album on my wishlist most of the year I think but never found it anywhere so kind of forgot about it. I didn't realize the reason for not seeing it anywhere was that it hadn't been released here until it recently showed up on metacritic as a new release. I'm gonna have to wait now, but it'll probably be one of the first I buy next year now that I know it also has the cherished SSA (Stone Seal of Approval). That and the Sun Kil Moon. :)

tentoze
12-07-2003, 07:11 PM

Believe it or not, I never heard all of Sharpen Your Teeth till I bought it today- damn and hellacious damn, what a fine record this is!!!!!!!!!!! ( and for 7 bucks at Big B's, I gotta love it)

:D

nobody
12-08-2003, 07:46 AM
Best of a year is tough. There’s still a bunch of stuff from this year I wanna hear that I haven’t. I’m sure there’s stuff I haven’t heard that’s better than at least something I’m gonna list. I know I’m still finding things I missed from 2002 and before all the time. I also hate the whole “best” thing. I’m just calling these favorites, which basically means stuff I play a lot and wanna hear a bunch. Anyway, here’s a group of ten that I’ve really enjoyed over the last year, from what I’ve heard and remember off hand….

White Stripes – Elephant
Electric Six – Fire
OutKast – Speakerboxxx/Love Below
Erykah Badu – Worldwide Underground
Postal Service – Give Up
Massive Attack – 100th Window
Songs: Ohia – Electric Magnolia Company
Four Tet – Rounds
Matmos – The Civil War
Muggs – Dust

A bunch of honorable mentions, some of which would get in the list if you asked me on another day…

Tosca – Dehli9, Grandaddy – Sumday, Radiohead – Hail to the Thief, TSOL – Divided We Stand, DJ Krush – The Message at the Depth, Prefuse 73 – One Word Extinguisher, D4 – 6Twenty

Decent year I’d say. I could still list a few more that I’ve enjoyed quite a bit this year. Even thought about putting Manitoba on the honorable mention list since it has really grown on me over time. I wouldn’t be surprised to see British Sea Power making this list after a couple more listens. It just hasn’t really grabbed me too hard yet, although I have been enjoying it. And, there’s still tons of stuff I hope to hear sometime. Hopefully, after Christmas, I’ll be able to pick up a few things that will make this list obsolete.

tugmcmartin
12-08-2003, 07:58 AM
I'll play. But i'm gonna list the 10 best albums i bought in 2003 since i'm not certain i bought 10 2003 releases this year.

Derek Trucks - Joyful Noise
Trey Anastasio - s/t
Allison Krauss and Union Station - Live
Bomb Squad - Sophistafunk
emmet swimming - fifty cent earplugs
Justin King - Le Bleu
moe. - wormwood
Robert Randolph and the Family Band - Live at the Wetlands
Either/Orchestra - Neo-modernism

and because we're in the holiday season, i'll throw this one out as number ten (my new favorite christmas album). "A Very Special Acoustic Christmas". A compilation of some christmas favorites done with a country/bluegrass swing to them. Get a little Reba McIntyre, Dan Tyminski (of AKUS), Willie Nelson, Allison Krauss, Earl Scruggs, Ralph Stanley, Patty Loveless, Sam Bush and Norah Jones (and others). Some beautiful songs on there.

T-

DariusNYC
12-08-2003, 08:43 AM
I tend to buy a lot of albums at the end of the year, or immediately after the end of the year, inspired by others' (including magazines') "Best of 2003" recommendations, so this will definitely change once I've heard some more stuff, but here's a preliminary list of my five favorites:

1. Radiohead -- Hail to the Thief
2. Outkast -- Speakerboxx/The Love Below
3. The Strokes -- Room on Fire
4. Yo La Tengo -- Summer Sun
5. Super Furry Animals -- Phantom Power

I wanted to only list 5 because if I listed 10 I wouldn't be discriminating enough, because I didn't buy that many new albums this year so far. But there are definitely a few more that I like, that may make it on a top 10 list when all is said and done.

Troy
12-08-2003, 09:03 AM
Like Darius, I don't have 10 yet. Give me another year to hear more.

Grandaddy- Sumday
Starlight Mints- built on Squares
King Crimson- The Power to Believe
Satellite- A Street Between Sunrise and Sunset
Calexico- Feast of Wire

Dave_G
12-08-2003, 09:04 AM
I tell ya what ya'll sure do listen to some obscure and diverse stuff.

I have NONE of any of the titles listed in anyones post.

But I'm old and set im my ways and only listen to prog, rock, new wave, reggae, pop, and my 2 classical cd's.

But for me the only new stuff this year that is really any good are the concert dvd's that have been released, like the Flower Kings, the new Peter Gabriel one, and Arena's concert dvd.

"New" titles by new or old bands this year. I can't think of a single 2003 recording that could be put into a "best of" category.

I guess it's because mainly I have bought new prog, but most of it is stuff that wasn't recorded this year.

Dave

Mike
12-08-2003, 09:11 AM
White Stripes – Elephant
Electric Six – Fire
OutKast – Speakerboxxx/Love Below
Erykah Badu – Worldwide Underground
Postal Service – Give Up
Massive Attack – 100th Window
Songs: Ohia – Electric Magnolia Company
Four Tet – Rounds
Matmos – The Civil War
Muggs – Dust

A bunch of honorable mentions, some of which would get in the list if you asked me on another day…

Tosca – Dehli9, Grandaddy – Sumday, Radiohead – Hail to the Thief, TSOL – Divided We Stand, DJ Krush – The Message at the Depth, Prefuse 73 – One Word Extinguisher, D4 – 6Twenty

Nice list there Nobody, I've been meaning to pick up that Postal Service album, how do you rate it? Good to see a Tosca fan too, I've just picked up the dub version of Suzuki which despite reviews I think is pretty good

ps I need your addy for my year end comp, can you send me an e-mail

Cheers
Mike

nobody
12-08-2003, 09:28 AM
Glad you like the list. I like the Postal Service very much, although I've only had it a short time. You can hear the influence of the guy from DNTEL with the sound of the music. It's got those thick, fuzzy tones that you expect from them. Yet, it's much poppier, upbeat stuff. Jim Clark hooked me up with it, so he may have more to say about it too.

I still haven't heard the Suzuki in Dub. Suzuki is great and I like dub, so it's something I wanna check out eventually. I'm a fan of the dub versions of LPs. I like both the dub version of the Gorillaz LP and Mad Professor vs. Massive Attack quite a bit. My wish list just keeps growing and growing.

I tried to send you a personal message through this board with my address. I don't have your email. If you don't get it, email me at nobodyATwitchesbrewDOTzznDOTcom with your email address and I'll reply. Thanks.

chrisnz
12-08-2003, 07:13 PM
Treading along similar lines to most of you. These are my favourites this year but the order changes on a daily basis.

Songs:Ohia - Magnolia Electric Co. Da Winnah!
Super Furry Animals - Phantom Power. This really suprised me. Never been a huge fan but this is a great album. Power Pop Guy, dave G... can't see you guys not liking this.
Manitoba - Up In Flames
Calexico - Feast Of Wire
Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People
Prefuse 73 - One Word Extinguisher
The Wrens - Meadowlands
Four Tet - Rounds

Stuff coming that I have hopes for :-

Basement Jax - Kish Kash
Matmos - Civil War

Stuff I wish I had :-

Matt Elliott (thanks Dusty), M83, Grandaddy, The Shins.

Stuff I haven't been with long enough to know if they're any good :-

Aesop Rock - Bazooka Tooth
Unkle - Never, Never Land
Martina Topley Bird - Quixotic
Dizzee Rascal - Boy In Da Corner

Regards, Chris.

nobody
12-09-2003, 06:37 AM
Was listening to one last night that should have been on the list.

Tied and Tickled Trio - Observing Systems has been a favorite of mine this year. It's a nice mish mash of jazz and electronics. Very interesting stuff that I've pulled out a lot since I picked it up.

audiobill
12-09-2003, 08:15 AM
I haven't bought as many CDs this year, as I did in 2002; however, this may be due to purchasing DVD movies for our home theatre system.

Nevertheless, these are the discs that have brought endless joy and contemplation to the audiobill abode:

1. Mars Volta -- De-loused in the Crematorium -- This one just out and out rocks my world in 2003. Who would have ever guessed that the demise of At The Drive-in would bring about a classic, such as this.

2. Sun Kil Moon -- Perhaps my "discovery" disc that has slipped most people's radar. You might want to do a "search" on this board and see what the lucky few who've discovered it have to say.

3. The White Stripes -- Elephant -- Derivative?? Sure. But also very much a unique and fully independent album -- it never fails to elicit high speed driving in the car.

4. Grandaddy -- Sumday -- A Psychedelic sleeper that always speaks to me in new ways each time I listen.

5. Neil Young -- Greendale -- An American Gothic, as can only be delivered throught the eyes of a Canadian. Bears repeated listens for its clever puns and messages.

6. Songs: Ohia -- The Magnolia Elecric Company -- Metaphors of menace and isolation brood beautifully each time I play this one.

7. The Strokes -- Room On Fire -- Proof that these musicians are the real McCoy......... Crank it up.

8. The Constantines -- Shine A Light -- Expansive and celebratory and Canadian. If it's not on your radar screen, it should be.

That's it for now, RR folks.

I must check out some of the others on your lists.

Always a pleasure,
audiobill

Dusty Chalk
12-09-2003, 10:17 AM
Doh! Can't believe I forgot Mars Volta, they're definitely in my Top 10. Probably Blue Man Group, also, as mentioned in another thread.

audiobill
12-09-2003, 04:11 PM
Sorry for the double post. I'm still getting used to the new format.]

Dusty Chalk
12-09-2003, 04:14 PM
Sorry for the double post. I'm still getting used to the new format.Actually, I think you can even go back and delete it. Quick, try it, before anyone else sees.

Jim Clark
12-10-2003, 11:17 AM
2003 generally speaking was an awesome year for me, probably because I bought, got, and listened to more than ever before. I have probably placed what will be my last order of the year and still regret not getting a chance to hear so much music.

2003-The year that could have been:

Joe Strummer-Street Core
Cat Power-You Are Free
KMFDM-WWIII
Camouflage-Sensor
Alphaville-Crazy Show
Calexico-feast Of wire-(may still get this one!)
Four Tet-Rounds
Stereophonics-You Gotta Go there To Come Back
Caesars-39 Minutes Of Bliss
Constantines-Shine A Light
Hybrid-Morning Sci-fi
David Gahan's solo record

I could go on and on but you get the picture.

Regards,
jc

DarrenH
12-11-2003, 04:28 AM
But so far, here's the cream of the crop of 2003 for me. In no particular order.

King Crimson - The Power To Believe
Gov't Mule - The Deepest End
Allman Brothers Band - Hittin' The Note
Arena - Contagion
Dead Soul Tribe - A Murder Of Crows
O.S.I. - Office of Strategic Influence
Mostly Autumn - Passengers
Ian Anderson - Rupi's Dance
Jethro Tull - Christmas Album
Satellite - A Street Between Sunrise and Sunset
Super Furry Animals - Phantom Power. I was in Best Buy and this song "Golden Retriever" starts playing. Cool song I thought. After the song was over they announced the band that played it. I immediately went over and grabbed it and I'm thrilled the rest ot that CD wasn't bad either. Sometimes buying a CD based on one song can be disastrous.

If I had to choose a favorite from that list it would be that Gov't Mule release. Great value and just awesome music. The included DVD is fantastic.

Grblgrbl
12-12-2003, 06:37 AM
My faves (in no order):

Jayhawks: Rainy Day Music
Richard Thompson: Old Kit Bag/More Guitar/Ducknapped
Steely Dan: Everything Must Go
Inner Visions: Street Corner Musicians
Luciano: Serve Jah
King Crimson: The Power to Believe
Television: Live at the Old Waldorf 1978
Roxy Music: Live
Led Zeppelin: How the West Was Won
The Thorns: s/t
Warren Zevon: The Wind

Davey.
12-12-2003, 10:49 AM
<b>1. Damien Jurado - Where shall you take me?</b>
Wow, beautifully disturbing album. Opens with a murderer confessing "first came the screams and blood on the floor" and closes with a plea to "come save me from this fire". Not exactly what one would call a cheery evening of entertainment. But it's one of the hardest albums to stay away from in recent memory. Very compelling, for me. Abilene is surely one of the finest songs I've heard in recent times and the whole album is a gut wrencher. Many comparisons come easily to mind, most notably Springsteen's Nebraska. Or something more recent like Gillian Welch's excellent Time (The Revelator), but Jurado also evokes a Neil Young feel too, the ragged Neil Young that mourned for his lost friends on Tonight's the Night. More consistent than his Ghost of David album, but maybe not quite the severe emotional ups and downs and stellar highlights of songs like Medication and Great Today and Rosewood Casket from that one. And very short at only about 32 minutes. But nearly absent of anything I would consider a misstep as well. After a couple dozen listens, these songs just won't go away, so maybe it's wrong to say the highlights don't reach the same level as in the past. And where else could you get an unlimited number of therapy sessions for under $10? Indispensible. Not number one every day of the week, but it is today so that's why it's up here at the top.

<b>2. Califone Quicksand/Cradlesnakes</b>
Califone has probably been my favorite band for the last few years and on many days this would easily be my favorite album of the year. There was a label on the cover with a quote from the Chicago Tribune, "How the Flaming Lips might've interpreted Harry Smith's Anthology of American Folk Music". Maybe, but The Flaming Lips have never come to my mind when listening to Califone, although more pop elements have been added to this release. They've also added a little more avant garde jazz feel to this one, kind of like they're moving beyond the Rolling Stone's <i>Exile On Main Street</i> blueprint for dirty folk-blues. Not that they've abandoned their original blend of electronically textured folk-blues, they've added to and extended it in new directions making for a more diverse album than their last one, the excellent Roomsound.

The song "Michigan Girls" capsulizes much of the band's appeal for me. Outstanding guitar playing and song writing, with one of Tim Rutili's best vocals yet. He can really breathe life into what sometimes reads like a string of fractured images, like "dry white scratches on a sunburnt shin, don't give it a name", giving it color and body, yet he still manages to keep the images loosely tethered with his vocal shadings. Not that he has that great a voice, but like most good blues singers, he does know how to use what he has. Superb song, especially when it hits the chorus. Spacey percussion and piano sounds fill the background. Might be my song of the year....it is the one I chose to represent the album on my Season's Greetings 2003 comp.

<b>3. Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People</b>
Toward the end of last year, You Forgot It In People was released on the little Arts and Crafts label in Canada and it almost immediately sold out due to the heavy buzz surrounding this band. So it didn't really get a "proper" release in Canada until a few months into 2003, and not until the summer in the US, which is why it will wind up on many 2003 top ten lists, even though technically it was first released in Canada in 2002. Strong and varied all the way through and gets better with each listen. A little bit like Death Cab For Cutie meets The Strokes at times, but the best of both. And then along comes a very cool instrumental or a nice horn and piano interlude. A little Belle & Sebastian sound at times. Clever and sophisticated experimental pop music without being too coy or cute. Being a Toronto collective formed from some other more epic sounding bands on the scene with the intent of making a pop music album, they do bring some of that Godspeed You Black Emperor type sound to it. But in shorter packages, nothing much over 6 minutes long. A little Spoon, but not quite as frenetic overall...maybe some Notwist, but not quite as electronic....and still some Kinks at the core like with the previously mentioned Strokes. It also has a couple of my favorite upbeat songs of the year in Almost Crimes and Cause=Time. Not a perfect album, but not very far from it either.

<b>4. Head of Femur - Ringodom or Proctor</b>
This one came out of nowhere this year for me, with lots of the same appeal as The Flaming Lips <i>Soft Bulletin</i>. But in this case, mostly with real instrumentation more akin to some of the Elephant 6 collective releases such as Neutral Milk Hotel and Olivia Tremor Control. Very nice collection of songs with the usual nods to the Beach Boys and Love and the Beatles and other orchestrated pop bands, but also XTC and Talking Heads and the irrepressible Brian Eno in his madcap and often nonsensical pop persona from the mid 70s. They even do a playfully frenzied, but still faithful cover of his "The True Wheel" from <i>Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy)</i>. Brilliant stuff. You wonder what these guys could do with a big recording budget and a mainstream sounding singer, or at least maybe a stronger mixing of the vocals and some pitch work. But this kind of charming music doesn't exist outside of the little indie labels anymore, in this case Greyday Productions in Portland. Ever heard of Presto! Recording Studios in Nebraska? That's what I thought....unless you're already a big Bright Eyes fan or something. A couple of the concepts are a little underdeveloped, but that doesn't really detract much from the spell this album casts on me. One of those albums that I want to hear again as soon as it's over.

<b>5. Holopaw - Holopaw</b>
This is a very nice debut album from John Orth's main band (he was also one of the main parts of last year's Ugly Casanova, along with Isaac Brock of Modest Mouse, Pall Jenkins of Black Heart Procession, and Tim Rutili and Brian Deck of Califone). If you're a fan of those bands, add this one to your list, especially if "Hotcha Girls" and "Cat Faces" were two of your favorites on the Ugly Casanova album. Those songs that Orth wrote and sang on the Ugly Casanova album were probably my favorites too, although I really liked that whole album. And sometimes on Ugly Casanova there isn't that big of a difference between the voices of Isaac Brock and John Orth, although it's apparent from the Holopaw album that he is the better singer, both technically and also in his ability to add subtle shades of emotion to a song.

The song "Abraham Lincoln" leads off the album and in many ways summarizes all that I like about this band. It starts out as a somewhat traditional sounding country-folk song with little more than strummed acoustic guitars and Orth's fragile and twangy but emotion laden voice. But then some pedal steel and very subtle synth atmospherics begin to appear. And before you know it the whole background has become lit up with all manner of unique sounds and instruments and percussion loops and who knows what, almost like a dance of fireflies in the nighttime sky. I think both Holopaw and Califone have a vision similar to that of a good cinematographer, and when you add in the array of expertly played acoustic instruments, and the subtle electro-organic textures that add space and ambience, and the percussion that goes almost unnoticed at times, it all adds up to music with a real heart and soul. This is a highly engaging record and has remained a favorite for most of the year.

<b>6. Cat Power - You Are Free</b>
Very good album, especially if you liked Moon Pix. I don't think it has any songs that quite match the highlights on that one (or the one before, What Would The Community Think), but it does get pretty close at times. Kind of tough to rate it for me as I find it hard to be objective with her. I don't like it as much as Moon Pix and doubt I ever will since that album is very special to me, but this one is very listenable and some have even said it is her best. Essential for fans, that much is sure, but the lyrics on some of the songs are a letdown. Simple and incomplete thoughts sometimes replace a "real" set of lyrics. This has always been her biggest problem, but again her incredibly expressive voice saves her. Perhaps most of her demons were exorcised with the cathartic Moon Pix, leaving less to write about? Still, this caps an outstanding trilogy of albums (ignoring for the moment the covers album released between Moon Pix and You Are Free) by one of my favorite artists.

<b>7. British Sea Power - The Decline of British Sea Power</b>
Start with some Joy Division mixed with some David Bowie and Echo & The Bunnymen. Add lyrics that are heavily sprinkled with literary and historical references. What do you wind up with? Who knows what to call it but I like this one a lot and have been playing it endlessly for the last few months. Even sent out some copies as a mystery disc to a few folks here. Lots of great guitar parts and the singer does sound kind of like Ian Curtis at times. At other times more like Bowie. And even a touch of David Thomas of Pere Ubu fame (well, I guess Pere Ubu and fame don't have a lot in common :-)). But the music is still unique. And fun. And powerful. And emotional. It is quite an accomplished debut album, even with the couple minor missteps that inevitably creep in, although in this case they are very minor in my view, and the whole CD has a nice ebb and flow, fast and slow, soft and loud type of sequencing that seems well thought out and executed. It even starts with some Gregorian chanting before erupting into the second song, Apologies To Insect Life, which seems to take inspiration from (and name-checks) Russian novelist Fyodor Dostoevsky and his <i>Notes from Underground</i>, at least in relation to the lines about his attractiveness (or lack of it in the opening line of Dostoevsky's fictional diary) and the brothel scenes and all the talk of insect comparisons that runs through the diary. Very unique album and another big surprize this year.

<b>8. Super Furry Animals - Phantom Power</b>
The Welsh quintet cooks up another batch of quirky, inventive pop with influences running from The Beatles and XTC and Pink Floyd and the Kinks and the Beach Boys to modern day bands like Blur and Flaming Lips and Radiohead. Not as quirky as some of their earlier albums but not quite as glossy as the last one, Rings Around the World, either. Quite a few standout tracks. I think this one would appeal to many of the people that post here. Favorite track right now is called The Undefeated and comes near the end of the album. Sounds kinda like something from the Clash during their Sandinista dub period. Driven along by steel drums. Very cool. Even ends in a hail of bullets. It's the one I used on my year-end comp.

Lots of Magical Mystery Tour mixed in the pot too. Quite a variety of styles and tempos with many layers of sound. The Piccolo Snare is an especially nice epic sounding bit of space rock ala Pink Floyd/Radiohead/Porcupine Tree (especialy PT as vocalist Gruff Rhys sounds a little like Steve Wilson here). Here's what Gruff says about it, "Piccolo Snare is a song about societies torn apart by war and the waste of human life for nothing, pawns in a worthless game. A lot of the vocabulary for that song comes from the Falklands War, the Malvinas War, whatever you want to call it: "Tumbledown" and "Skyhawks", etcetera. It could be about any war, but that was a war I remembered from when I was a kid where people from my area were dying, as the media tried to maintain some ridiculous degree of jingoism... Apart from using the vocabulary it's generally a song about people's misguided belief in flags. All flags are tarnished; they were only invented so that people wouldn't shoot their own side in the war. It's a song in at least three parts. It starts off folk rock in feel, and builds up to a cosmic funk coda!".

I'd still list Radiator as their best work and probably career highlight because of it being so adventurous (not to mention one of my alltime favorite covers), but this is probably my choice for number two right now simply because it is so solid and well done. Songs are all well written and production is first rate without sounding like a video game.

<b>9. The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow</b>
Quite a bit different from their more immediately accessible debut, this one took a while to really sink in. And I think it still might have a ways to go before I fully appreciate all of its charms since it is my most recent acquisition on this list. I had intended to impose a one month listening/qualification period for any albums to be included on this list, but in the end decided to relax it to three weeks so I could include this one. And so it might be a bit higher on my list than it really should be given my somewhat limited exposure at this point. But I do like it a lot and the song "Young Pilgrims" is a big reason, due in no small part to the line that opens the second verse, "I fell into a winter slide / and ended up the kind of kid who goes down chutes too narrow". The lyrics throughout the album are very nice and fit well with the music. Another very solid and highly listenable album that I expect will age well in the coming months.

<b>10. Calexico - Feast of Wire</b>
Very sophisticated music and one very nice, extremely listenable album. It's kind of front loaded with vocal tracks followed by a preponderous of instumentals in the second half giving it a pretty mellow finish which can make it seem to drift off a little early, but I still really like it all the way through, you just have to pay a little more attention toward the end :-)

<b>Top 10 Honorable Mentions</b>
Okkervil River - Down the River of Golden Dreams
Radiohead - Hail To The Thief
Calla - Televise
The Twilight Singers - Blackberry Belle
Over the Rhine - Ohio
Laika - Wherever I Am I Am What Is Missing
The Wrens - The Meadowlands
Manitoba - Up In Flames
My Morning Jacket - It Still Moves
Fruit Bats - Mouthfuls

EDIT: Oops! At some point while finalizing the list and writing descriptions, the Songs: Ohia <i>Magnolia Electric Co</i> got lost. It was sitting there at around #4 or #5 on the list so I guess I should stick it back in as sharing #5 with Holopaw. Or #6 with Cat Power. Or who really cares anymore :)

Swish
01-28-2011, 12:14 PM
Chutes Too Narrow remains my favorite Shins record, I'm going to dig out that Cala cd, the Wrens, Broken Social Scene...it was a pretty good year.

Davey
01-28-2011, 01:16 PM
Chutes Too Narrow remains my favorite Shins record, I'm going to dig out that Cala cd, the Wrens, Broken Social Scene...it was a pretty good year.
Hey, wonder whatever happened to Davey-dot?

Funny, I was just listening to the Cat Power "You Are Free" record this morning, and still really like it. Last thing she did that I do really like, though it still falls off in the second half. And Quicksand/Cradlesnakes, yea, always close at hand. Just listened last week, and even have a song in my signature. Songs:Ohia, just listened to Magnolia Electric Co last week too after a while without, great record.

Just downloaded the 2-CD Caribou version of Up In Flames, along with the live All Tomorrow's Parties thing he did called Vibration Ensemble with a 4 piece horn section, 4 drummers and a choir and guests that include Marshall Allen (Sun Ra Arkestra leader and Arkestra member for over 50 years), Kieran Hebden (Four Tet/Fridge/Kieran Hebden & Steve Reid), Koushik (Stones Throw Records), John Schmersal (Enon, Brainiac), Kathryn Bint (One Little Plane), Ahmed Gallab (Sinkane) and more...pretty cool. Less and less to like (at least for me) each year since, but the early 2000s was a good time.