What do you think of this Reciever? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this Reciever?

Z3r0
08-16-2004, 01:51 PM
Hello i was looking into buy this pioneer model:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1077628262859&skuId=6364846&productCategoryId=cat03031&type=product

I have a question abot it as well, it says 100wpc x 5 what about the sub?

Also do you think it will be able to power my speakers?

Fischer Studio Standard Rear Speakers: operates at 15-150w (88db)

Front L & R: KLH (90db) operates at 10-200w

Center Channel: KLH 125w

Sub: Klh 125w

Thx :)

HokieVT
08-17-2004, 03:47 AM
I looked at that receiver. It has all the bells and whistles for a good price (<$200). But it had less wattage than the SR502(75w) I bought for almost the same money. The 514 I priced was about $170.

Z3r0
08-17-2004, 05:33 AM
The one at best buy says it has 100watts x 5 so wouldnt that be more than the one u suggested? How do you know how much power is going to the sub? Thx

pwh03
08-17-2004, 06:15 AM
well generally speaking your sub is powered by its own amp, they're called power subs. However, if you already have a sub that needs its own power source then ypi'll be hard pressed to power it with a receiver. It takes a lot of power to push a 12 inch woofer, and most receivers in fact almost all receiveres are not designed to carry this burdern. If you have not bought your sub yet just make sure it is a powered sub and you'll be fine, the sub will connect through the sub out on the receciveer it looks like an RCA jack. As for power.

As for the receivers other duties it will skimp by, but i would make a few suggetions.

1rst get the hell away from bestbuy and circuit city, you can find better deals online check priceegrabber.com or used at ebay or audiogon.com. Those are both much better options in my opinion.

2nd try and save up a little more to get something a little more substantial. From what I have expierenced many bottom receivers don;'t producec near what they are rated. Though pioneer isn't that bad of a brand there are plenty better.

Its kind of like the 9000 watt car stereo system you see it at wal-mart

make sense?

thats a start

las tip READ UP ALOT

good luck
Ph

Z3r0
08-17-2004, 06:22 AM
Ok ty :)

Ill go check those websites.

Z3r0
08-17-2004, 06:31 AM
Ok i think i found a nice 1 at pricegrabber plz tell me what you think.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=2200709

hmm, price grabber claims that this reciever is 5.1 and its only stereo.

IRG
08-17-2004, 07:00 AM
Ok i think i found a nice 1 at pricegrabber plz tell me what you think.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=2200709

hmm, price grabber claims that this reciever is 5.1 and its only stereo.
That this HK receiver that you have listed here, is not a HT receiver, it is only a 2 channel receiver. Pricegrabber incorrectly states it is a 5.1 receiver, but it is not. It is a good receiver, if you only need 2 channels, and none of the HT features, otherwise look at their other models, such as the avr 230.

For budget but quality receivers, I would only consider the Yamaha 5730/5740, etc. and maybe the Denon 1604, or 1804. Some of the Onkyo models are also good. I've had my Onkyo unit which is used daily for hours, for about 5 years now.

This Guy
08-17-2004, 07:06 AM
Well they obviously made a mistake, it is 2 channel. Look at the low priced Denon, Onkyo, Harman Kardon, Yamaha, and Marantz receievers. You can find some Yamahas at Bestbuy, Harman Kardon at circuit city, I think onkyo at circuit city. Denons can be found in specialty stores along with Marantz. All of them can be found online, but get them from an autorized dealer. Here;s a good online store. http://www.jr.com/

accessories4less.com has a bunch of new and refurbished Marantz receivers.

I don't see any problem in a getting a receiever from best buy (or circuit city), especially if you're spending this little on it. Look for open box items which will be discounted. Just shop around and you'll find something.

-Joey

poneal
08-17-2004, 08:39 AM
The pioneer you were initally looking at states power of 100 wpc at 1khz. So what does this mean? It means that you will not actually get 100 wpc at say 40hz probably more like 25 or 30. When looking at specs. you should always look for 100wpc from 20hz to 20000hz. Just some good info. to keep in mind because manufacturers play the numbers game.

Z3r0
08-17-2004, 03:31 PM
Oic, thx for all the info especial that 100wpc @ 1khz you think they would be more consumer friendly instead of trying to rip you off like that =/.

Another question :) Say i buy a 6.1 or 7.1 reciever and only hook 5.1 speakers up to it, it will still work right? And if i only have 5.1 speakers hooked up will the extra wattage designated for the other channels be divided up and sent to the 5.1 speakers? thx! :)

Z3r0
08-17-2004, 04:05 PM
What do you think of jvc receivers i found one rated at 100wpc x 5 @ 40hz-20khz.

Also i saw an okyno receiver (TX-DS575X) on ebay that operates at a minumum of 70wpc @ 20hz-20khz. Plz look at my speakers in the begining of the post and tell me if i can power them using this. thank you :)

poneal
08-17-2004, 05:35 PM
Usually the power from the surrounds can't be used interchangeably. On mine anyways if i dont use the surrounds the mains dont get that extra power. You will however have more power reserves for those low notes. Onkyo is know to build a solid amp and gets my vote out of the ones you mentioned.

Z3r0
08-17-2004, 06:06 PM
So you do think that the onkyo would power my speakers at a decent lvl right?

pwh03
08-17-2004, 06:38 PM
yeah I went a little overboard on the whole bb and cc thing it was a rough day,

I'd take onkyo over JVC

No the power doesn't usually go to the other speakers if you don;t hook up the 6th and 7th speaker but yes you can run 5.1 off a 7.1 or 6.1 receiver.

I think you'd be happy with that amount of power i don't know to much about your speakers though but it should be fine. doubling the power only adds 3 dbs not very much basically so don't go crazy over power. Just make sure you get a solid receiver from a respected brand and I think you'll be happy

Your room size also has a lot to do with how much power you'll need. in a round about way that is

good luck
Ph

Z3r0
08-18-2004, 03:35 AM
Alright, ty everybody youve been a big help in my quest to find a receiver! :cool:

One more thing =/ I could get a Denon or an Onkyo at the same price both producing 70wpc which should i go with?

poneal
08-18-2004, 11:09 AM
Both are fine manufacturers of receivers. I think the amp section of the Onkyo will be a little better. You may want to choose the one with the most bells and whistles. A few years back when I was auditioning AVR's, I opted for a Harman Kardon. My second choice was the Onkyo, and then Denon. That's just my personal preference though. Your's may be different.

ttskyline01
08-19-2004, 01:48 AM
Ive also have to agree with poneal. I think that Onkyo makes good to great receivers. If i were you i would get onkyo tx-sr502 or the marantz sr-4400 or the yamaha rx-v450. either one of these should do the job well. but the marantz has 6.1 preouts so if you wanted to use a bigger and better amp for your ht system.