MC's new song "Econoblind" [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : MC's new song "Econoblind"

Troy
08-16-2004, 11:36 AM
MC sent me a CD with his new song on it called Econoblind.

It's a straight up rocker in the Aerosmith family. Except for the lyrics which (I think) are about economics.

A few comments on it.

I'd give it more bottom end density, especially in the opening section. Fatter fatter fatter!

I like the bridge and instrumental break. Especially the phased guitar picking lead in.

The lyrics keep it from taking itself too seriously which is a good thing. Can't tell ya the last time I heard the word "Stochastic" in a song.

It's a beauty. But I still like "Red Star" better.

MasterCylinder
08-16-2004, 11:58 AM
This one was fun to put together.............. totally tongue-in-cheek.
Use meaning #2b.

stochastic (sto-kÃ*s´tîk) adjective
1. Of, relating to, or characterized by conjecture; conjectural.
2. Statistics. a. Involving or containing a random variable or variables: stochastic calculus. b. Involving chance or probability: a stochastic simulation.

Excerpted from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition © 1996 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Electronic version licensed from INSO Corporation; further reproduction and distribution in accordance with the Copyright Law of the United States. All rights reserved.

MasterCylinder
09-01-2004, 02:16 PM
I can only assume FA thinks it sux.

Can't please 'em all.............o-well.

ForeverAutumn
09-01-2004, 05:33 PM

Did I not post on this? :eek:
My sincerest apologies MC. :(
Quite the opposite is true. I think it's your best work yet. :)

I took it on one of my roadtrips. To make sure that I was listening to it in the proper context I took the whole WGP catalogue with me. I listened to Econoblind a few times and then listened to the rest of your songs, then put Econoblind back in. As Troy said...it rocks!

I have to admit that I didn't understand all the lyrical jargon, but from a musical perspective it's extremely well written and performed. And those drums! Well...it's a gimme that the drums made the song. ;)

My next step is to put all your songs on one disk so that I have my own little WGP ep for my roadtrips. :D

Finch Platte
09-01-2004, 07:31 PM

Not only did I not review one of Troy's homemade discs, but I lost the fokker. He's dying (I think) to know what I think, and I don't have the heart to tell him I mislaid it.

Troy, if you're reading this, I know it's around somewhere and I'll review it as soon as I find it, whether you like it or not. :rolleyes:

fp

MasterCylinder
09-02-2004, 05:03 AM
Thanx FA.............I was wondering WTF ?

The lyrics are literally greek if you didn't study econ & stat in college. I was trying to put together a song that utilized many of the laws, principles and buzz-words of econometrica and such. It evolved into a tongue-in-cheek description of a day-in-the-life of a frustrated state government economist (my day gig).

The singer asked me.........."How can I sing about all this crap if I have no idea what it means ?"
I told him that the words will be foreign to the listener and it is important to pronounce and enunciate very clearly..........that is all that is required. I have since tried to show him what I do at work so he has a better idea of the monster he helped to create.

The lead guitar player was given free reign to do whatever he wanted without me dictating (as I usually do) anything............he chose to play his parts that sound like a mix between Eddie van Halen and Billy Gibbons........he had just placed new ZZ-type pick-ups in his guitar and was feeling a bit of the Gibbons magic at that time.

Thanks again for the kind words.

And for you FP...........that is funny .......LMAO !
Do you feel better after that confession ??? LOL !

Troy
09-02-2004, 06:57 AM

FP not withstanding, I sent out about 10 copies of The Van Allen Belt to people on this board and while a few people mentioned a thanks in passing for it, no one except for Dave G has said anything else about it. It's that bad, eh?

MasterCylinder
09-02-2004, 07:36 AM
TROY...............I like it, dude.

I will admit though........I use it for background music at work.

I considered your "drive-all-night" influence and knew my use of the CD would be acceptable and approved by you.................thanx again for sending it along and keep up the good work.

Although you and I utilize very different means to produce music........it all still works.

Troy
09-02-2004, 08:02 AM
It's not that I'm looking for approval as much as I'm looking for ways to improve it.

MasterCylinder
09-02-2004, 08:12 AM
I've learned not to ask that question.........you need to do what you want to do.

For instance............you say "Fat, fat, fat" regarding the opening keyboard sequence of ECONOBLIND. To me, it is already incredibly fat. However, I listen in my car with a 200 watt 12" sub...........it might otherwise sound weak.

Over time - you will learn more about what you like by producing music and listening to the ideas of others through the way they produce their own.

ForeverAutumn
09-02-2004, 08:15 AM
FP not withstanding, I sent out about 10 copies of The Van Allen Belt to people on this board and while a few people mentioned a thanks in passing for it, no one except for Dave G has said anything else about it. It's that bad, eh?

I'm such a lame brain sometimes. THANK YOU!!! I was pleasantly surprised to receive this disk from you since I hadn't received any of your previous self-made offerings. And how do I repay you for your kindness in thinking of me? Like Finch, I misplaced it before I could listen to it (she kicks the ground sheepishly). :(

There's no excuse for my behaviour. I received the disk at a really busy, hectic time and put it down somewhere to listen to it later. Now, I suspect, it's buried in a pile of CD's somewhere. I will dig it out and listen to it. I promise!

Please don't take my lack of response as not appreciating you sending this to me. It simply fell through the cracks. I'll make it up to you. Somehow. I promise.

Dusty Chalk
09-02-2004, 09:36 AM
FP not withstanding, I sent out about 10 copies of The Van Allen Belt to people on this board and while a few people mentioned a thanks in passing for it, no one except for Dave G has said anything else about it. It's that bad, eh?I didn't get a copy, so don't look at me. But then again, it would be just like me not to say anything. Or lose it like FP did. So I'll apologize anyway for not saying anything: sorry.

Troy
09-02-2004, 09:51 AM
I've learned not to ask that question.........you need to do what you want to do.

Maybe that's true for you because you've made music for 30 years, but for me, it's been barely 6 months. I REALLY don't know what I'm doing. There are a lot of music heads on this board who's opinions I really respect when it comes to how music works. Sned me to school! Why does this work and that not work? Stuff like that would be incredibly valuable to me at this stage in my development.

For instance............you say "Fat, fat, fat" regarding the opening keyboard sequence of ECONOBLIND. To me, it is already incredibly fat. However, I listen in my car with a 200 watt 12" sub...........it might otherwise sound weak.

It's a great synth bass sound that needs some reverb to fill in the gaps a bit. At :36 thru 1:15 the guitar and bass kick in and the synth goes away. THAT is the section that needs fattening especially after the fatter opening synth bass. It's a little of a let down. Can you go an octave lower with the bass guitar? I see now that I didn't make the original comment clear.

This is the kind of observation that I'm looking for.

Over time - you will learn more about what you like by producing music and listening to the ideas of others through the way they produce their own.

Yes, I find that I listen to music in a completely different way than I used to. That said, I think comments from people like you would be great too. Transfer this to e-mail if ya like.

Troy
09-02-2004, 09:53 AM
I'm such a lame brain sometimes. THANK YOU!!! I was pleasantly surprised to receive this disk from you since I hadn't received any of your previous self-made offerings. And how do I repay you for your kindness in thinking of me? Like Finch, I misplaced it before I could listen to it (she kicks the ground sheepishly). :(

There's no excuse for my behaviour. I received the disk at a really busy, hectic time and put it down somewhere to listen to it later. Now, I suspect, it's buried in a pile of CD's somewhere. I will dig it out and listen to it. I promise!

Please don't take my lack of response as not appreciating you sending this to me. It simply fell through the cracks. I'll make it up to you. Somehow. I promise.

Don't sweat it FA. Being a proggy type, I thought you might like it. If you find it, listen to it. If you don't find it, don't worry about it.

Troy
09-02-2004, 09:54 AM
I didn't get a copy, so don't look at me. But then again, it would be just like me not to say anything. Or lose it like FP did. So I'll apologize anyway for not saying anything: sorry.

Are you sure you're not whining?

E-mail me your address if you want one.

Troy
09-02-2004, 09:56 AM
And at this point I have another question.

How many comps and mix CD's that people send out actually NEVER GET PLAYED by the recipients?

ForeverAutumn
09-02-2004, 10:04 AM

How many comps and mix CD's that people send out actually NEVER GET PLAYED by the recipients?

I play everything once. After that I make no promises.

Unless, of course I conveniently lose them before they get played. ;) Just kidding.

MasterCylinder
09-02-2004, 11:56 AM

I play everything I receive at least 5 times........no BS.

If I don't get any sparks after 5 plays, I know I gave it fair chance.