2 amps, one set of speakers. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 2 amps, one set of speakers.

RoyY51
08-16-2004, 06:14 AM
I have a Nad 762 receiver that sounds great with home theater, and a Marantz SR780 receiver that sounds better than the Nad on CD's. Is there a way to wire them to the same speakers so that I won't have to plug and unplug every time I change sources? The speakers (Monitor Audio B2's) are biwirable. Can I just run wire from both sources into the biwire terminals or is there some sort of switching that has to be done?

kexodusc
08-16-2004, 09:20 AM
If you leave that little bridging plate attached to the binding posts while both receivers are connected, you risk damaging your receivers...removing it will require your speakers to be bi-amped. You will probably need to buy a switch to accomplish what you want. Unless you connect the Marantz to the NAD, and use the Marantz to power the front mains during HT...that way the Marantz could handle your 2-channel cd requirements as well. Personally, that's probably more trouble than it's worth though...

What specifically do you like about the Marantz over the NAD?

RoyY51
08-16-2004, 10:41 AM
If you leave that little bridging plate attached to the binding posts while both receivers are connected, you risk damaging your receivers...removing it will require your speakers to be bi-amped. You will probably need to buy a switch to accomplish what you want. Unless you connect the Marantz to the NAD, and use the Marantz to power the front mains during HT...that way the Marantz could handle your 2-channel cd requirements as well. Personally, that's probably more trouble than it's worth though...

What specifically do you like about the Marantz over the NAD?

The Marantz has a warmer mid-range and MUCH tighter and well-defined bass. When I use the Marantz, I don't need to use my subwoofer...the volume of the bass blends perfectly with the mids and highs. With the NAD, the bass through my Monitor Audio B2's is mushy and ill-defined, lacking punch and definition. I am forced to use my subwoofer, and it just doesn't integrate as well as the B2's natural compliment of speakers.

kexodusc
08-16-2004, 10:54 AM
You could start a serious war here saying stuff like that :)