Has anyone seen the movie Diner? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen the movie Diner?

ForeverAutumn
08-15-2004, 06:02 AM
We watched Diner last night. There was a scene in the movie that had me nodding my head knowingly and poking my husband saying, "see? see? I'm not the only one".

The scene opens with a husband pulling albums (takes place in 1959) off of the shelves and re-filing them in the correct spot. He calls his wife into the room and asks if she's been listening to his records. She says she has. Well, an arguement begins about her not returning the records back into their proper place. They must be filed, alphabetically by last name, in chronological order, sorted into genres, etc.

She says, it's only music. He freaks out on her, trying to get her to understand how important music is to him. He reams her out until she cries and he storms out of the house. I was howling with laughter as this discussion was sooooo familiar (only in my house, no-one cries).

I'm sure that everyone here could relate to this scene.

It's worth you all renting this movie for this scene alone. Classic. :D

Edit: Just so there's no misunderstanding...in my house he's the one who doesn't put things back in the right spot.

Troy
08-15-2004, 07:22 AM
Been there, done that.

Yeah, it's a classic scene in a pretty dang good little movie.

I still think "High Fidelity" is the best movie about record geeks. "Ghost World" has it's moments too.

Mr MidFi
08-16-2004, 10:42 AM
Yes, I love that scene. Diner is an all-time fave of mine.

It took me a while, but my wife is putting things away by artist/last name now. I won't push the issue further and insist on beta-sorting by release date. But maybe someday...

And I love the one in High Fidelity where he rearranges his collection...not alphabetically...not chronologically...but AUTOBIOGRAPHICALLY!

DarrenH
08-16-2004, 01:46 PM
It's been years since I watched Diner. So long so I don't even remember that scene. I'll check it out someday.

I'm pretty anal about categorizing my CD's. They are all alphabetical by last name. All releases from each band/artist are chronological.

I separate out genres too. Just the basics. Jazz, Country, Classical, Rock/pop, Newage and Prog. I keep my DCC/MFSL CD's in their own spot as well. And the box sets have their own little section too.

My wife has her own CD's that I keep far away from my collection. Her taste in music is somewhat awful and I wouldn't want her collection poisoning mine. She's a bit unorganized too and could give a rat arse about alphabetical this and chronological that. We exist in perfect harmony this way. :)

Darren