I need a pair of bookshelfs.. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I need a pair of bookshelfs..

TheBoredAudioKid
08-14-2004, 10:54 PM
I am running a 2-channel set up, primarily for music listening, the bookshelfs with be running off of a harman kardon hk3480 reciever, my budget for a pair of speakers is around 500 dollars, i was thinking of Klipsch RB-35's off ebay, any input would be greatly appreciated.

eisforelectronic
08-15-2004, 01:18 AM
Totem Dreamcatchers or mites

TheBoredAudioKid
08-15-2004, 03:55 AM
anything else? i looked up the dreamcatchers and mites, i want to see all my options for 500 bucks, I will be listening to 90% music and 10% movies on these, so i will need more musical speakers, if genre effects anything i listen to rap mostly, then i also listen to jazz, blues, rock, and techno.

NickWH
08-15-2004, 05:40 AM
There are so many monitor speakers in that price range, you have to listen and see what you like. To name a few more:

NHT SB2
Monitor Audio Bronze B2 & Silver S1
KEF Q1
B&W DM601S3
EPOS ELS3 (although they're only $300)

I'm sure more will contribute to this list. Let me just say that you can do much better than Klipsch, even in that price range.

mboldda1
08-15-2004, 06:03 AM
check out the aad line or axiom line.

RGA
08-15-2004, 11:02 AM
Most speaker companies have a "HOUSE" sound. I would not be buying any speaker until you hear them first and in lieu of this at the VERY LEAST get a good idea of the companies general sound. Klipsch has such a house sound - obviously some are better than others but you get the idea.

I don't really listen to rap but I do listen to some trance(err quasi trance if you count Delerium as trance??) but it is obvious that if I were to listen to RAP I would want a pretty powerful sounding midbass region but one without getting muddy - nothing wrong with an elevation in that part of the frequency - I personally think it sounds better long term assuming other aspects are also met.

Nothing against the Totems but they would be useless for what you want in my opinion. A lot will also depend on your room size In average apartment living rooms or smaller - The B&W DM 602S2 would be a good selection - some find it polite or neutral - and I suppose that's true - things are relative.

I would not let anyone make a decision here for you. I would browse all the stores and companies in your area - take some very difficult or bass heavy Rap that youy know you could not live without having it done well. Ignore the prices or design(ie; listen to floorstanders as well). You will find a LOT of "so-called" high end speakers are quite gutless in bass and dynamics - and that standmounts are even more gutless. Theyare selling fad things like pin point imaging (whether the imaging on the disc is pin point or not).

When you find a speaker company that hasn't thrown out the several good aspects like a full bodied meat on the bones kinda presentation just for imaging you'll probably be happier especially for this music. I'm not too surprised you have come across Klipsch either because they have quite good dynamics - typical of higher sensitivity designs.

You're also quite right to be looking used. Plenty of $2000.00 speakers now going for under $500.00 and for another $50.00 you can get the surrounds replaced and you're good for another 15-30years. "Most" standmounts are not really going to cut it - yes you can add a subwoofer - not a big fan of this personally but some seem to think it works ok for music.

RoyY51
08-15-2004, 01:53 PM
I am running a 2-channel set up, primarily for music listening, the bookshelfs with be running off of a harman kardon hk3480 reciever, my budget for a pair of speakers is around 500 dollars, i was thinking of Klipsch RB-35's off ebay, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Try the Monitor Audio B2's. With the right amplification, they are wonderful...metal tweeters with no harshness or ringing, beautiful midrange and bass response to 42 HZ. I bought mine from DMC Electronics in Garden Grove CA. for 300.00.

TheBoredAudioKid
08-15-2004, 04:04 PM
Thanks for all the input, me and my friends will be out and about for the next few days so i will drop by some stores and give some stuff a listen, so far i am favoring B&W, my only problem is there isnt a whole lot of places around where i live but ill go hunting.

Feanor
08-15-2004, 04:43 PM
... You will find a LOT of "so-called" high end speakers are quite gutless in bass and dynamics - and that standmounts are even more gutless. Theyare selling fad things like pin point imaging (whether the imaging on the disc is pin point or not) ...
Imaging, and the related phenomena, transparency, depth, and soundstage, are hardly fads. They have been a central concern to audiophiles for a quarter-century or more. Good imaging occurs only if it's on the recording. Recording engineers might try too hard to create imaging that one won't hear at an actual live performance, but that's another matter.

Your own preference, (fixation?), is with dynamics. Fair enough, but don't "dis" other people's. Apart from that, your advice to our poster is sound.

TheBoredAudioKid
08-15-2004, 05:09 PM
instead of arguing with each others opinions which can be done on idiot centralized forums accross the landscape known as the Web, how about you actually be helpful, or would that task at hand prove too much for you? And as far as my preferred sound goes its pretty simple, something that has a definate presence in bass and mid-bass, considering most of my music collection is rap thats what i prefer, but i cant sacrifice sound anywhere else because i listen to jazz and rock and other such things.

cam
08-15-2004, 05:28 PM
instead of arguing with each others opinions which can be done on idiot centralized forums accross the landscape known as the Web, how about you actually be helpful, or would that task at hand prove too much for you? And as far as my preferred sound goes its pretty simple, something that has a definate presence in bass and mid-bass, considering most of my music collection is rap thats what i prefer, but i cant sacrifice sound anywhere else because i listen to jazz and rock and other such things.
If bass presence is what you are needing and it has to be a standmount (bookshelf) I would take a listen to the Paradigm Monitor 3's. It has a 8 inch woofer which will help out in the bass region. They can be had for under $500 Can. You will still need a sub because a standmount can only do so much. And RGA, no flame war on the metal tweeters with these speakers or eric will be waiting to pounce.

poneal
08-15-2004, 05:53 PM
Why not just go to http://www.madisound.com and go to kits and then go to the AR.Com link. Buy the kit for $340 (pair) and you will have a top quality pair of monitors that rival speakers in the $2000+ range. My two cents take it or leave it.

TheBoredAudioKid
08-15-2004, 09:58 PM
If bass presence is what you are needing and it has to be a standmount (bookshelf) I would take a listen to the Paradigm Monitor 3's. It has a 8 inch woofer which will help out in the bass region. They can be had for under $500 Can. You will still need a sub because a standmount can only do so much. And RGA, no flame war on the metal tweeters with these speakers or eric will be waiting to pounce.

I planned on getting a sub in time anyways, im 16 so money comes in only so fast, and being obssesed with audio isnt the cheapest obssession for someone my age. So i dont need a a big low end booksehlf, just good mid bass, and i really want to maximize what i can get for my budget, 500 bucks, so yeah, ill take a look at the other suggestions, it doesnt have to be best bass responce from booksehlfs, i just want something to complement bass and mid bass heavy rap without sacrificing other departments as well, if ive confused anyone i apologize.

Summary: 1 Pair of booksehlf speakers, 500 dollar range, i would stretch that a little if the speakers are worth it.
Speakers must compliment rap music well, but will also need to perform well on music with lots of highs such as jazz.
Sub will be added in later to the system.

topspeed
08-15-2004, 11:39 PM
The best bass response I've heard from a standmount is the Von Schweikert VR1, but you'll need to go used or at least wait a little while longer 'till you purchase. MSRP $1k, street price $675-800 new (depending on how well you negotiate), used tho is right in your ball park. Audiogon will have a pair more often than not. These little monitors are beautifully built, energetic down to 40hz, and present an amazing off axis response that has to be heard to be believed. Really fun to listen to. Give 'em an audition and see if they work for you.

You might also try DefTech Powermonitors (used), Infinity, Polk, and Wharfedale. For what you listen to, I'd also definitely consider Klipsch. Audition as many as you can, preferably in your own room, and buy what sounds best to you. It's your money.

Good luck and have fun.

chimera128
08-16-2004, 01:44 AM
I would second the DefTech models (even the lower priced towers which should still be in your price range, if you have room of course) as well as Monitor Audio speakers. I have the Defintive Technology BP10Bs (got them for $660) and they sound as if they have built in powered subs. I haven't listened to the smaller BP6Bs at length but I was still impressed by their performance. Try to listen to as many speakers, and TYPES of speakers, as you can. Definitive Technology tower products are bipolar which you may not like, but you won't know unless you listen to them. I liked their open sound much better than B&W but that is again a personal choice and you may not. Have fun and take your time.

brigrizzme
08-16-2004, 05:31 AM
Used Dunlavy SC-1s
IMHO you will not find a better bookshelf.

Bryan
08-16-2004, 08:13 AM
Might I be so bold as to suggest going with a good subwoofer first, such as a used Adire Audio Rava, HSU VTF-2, or Paradigm PW-2200, and then getting a pair of bookshelf speakers. As you listen to mostly rap, an excellent sub should be able to handle the bass and provide you with all you need. Would look into older Klipsch or Cerwin Vega speakers too.

matt39
08-16-2004, 11:51 AM
TBAK,

I've recommended Polk a couple times today so I may as well stick with it. Their Powerpoint technology might give you the bass you need. A couple other choices would be PSB Image 25 or Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo One. Considering that you like rap the most though I think a subwoofer might be a good idea either now or as a future upgrade. A 2.1 combo that would be in your current budget would be Athena Technology AS-B1 (or B2) paired with their P400 sub. There are a ton of good bookshelves in your price range so it would pay you to be patient till you find one you really like. Good luck.

psonic
08-16-2004, 02:18 PM
The energy C-3 is probably the best I've heard in that range (new). Don't miss an audition with these if you can. $399-$499.

http://www.energyloudspeakers.com/connoisseur/connoisseur_speakers1_c-3.html

RGA
08-16-2004, 04:38 PM
Imaging, and the related phenomena, transparency, depth, and soundstage, are hardly fads. They have been a central concern to audiophiles for a quarter-century or more. Good imaging occurs only if it's on the recording. Recording engineers might try too hard to create imaging that one won't hear at an actual live performance, but that's another matter.

Your own preference, (fixation?), is with dynamics. Fair enough, but don't "dis" other people's. Apart from that, your advice to our poster is sound.

Yes I would prefer to have both excellent soundstaging, imaging and dynamics and bass. Basically the complete musical event without the thought that it is good at any of those things or that they standout - if it's standing out chances are somehting is wrong - it should sound natural full bodied and completely musical. I was listening to the B&W 705 today - for $2300.00Cdn I was not impressed when it came to listening to Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. Running of Bryston Separates. Yes it had a nice soundstage and was good on the Diana Krall disc for vocals - but what happened to the piano it was constipated lacked dynamics and bass - it just seems very very expensive for what it offers - and it's one of the better ones in the price range.

Just personal taste but I believe in general a majorly important part of the musical spectrum has been tossed away in order to improve something else. And because what was thrown away is now gone - the so called improvement doesn't sound like an improvement because it lacks in so many other places. Personally I don't see why this is $500.00 more than the CDM 1NT - the 1NT looked better to boot and seemed to sound fuller to me.

laspino
08-20-2004, 04:00 PM
You might want to look at Quad 11Ls from audiogon.com. There are tons of great reviews on them and I love the very similar 12Ls. Epos has some very well-reviewed sub-$500 speakers you can see at audioadviser.com. Never heard the Klipsch but I've been meaning to find a pair out of curiousity.

JeffBrecklin
08-22-2004, 03:32 PM
If i were you i would buy a used pair of jbl l112 on ebay. They have solid bass unbelevable highs and crisp mids i have a pair and trust me you wont be dissapointed they usually go for 400 dollers on e bay.