subwoofer and wife problems! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : subwoofer and wife problems!

madmax1
08-14-2004, 02:35 PM
I was all set on getting the svs box sub PB2-plus. But she saw how big it was and said NO WAY THAT THING IS COMING IN MY HOUSE! Is there another smaller sub that is as good that is smaller? My room is 20x15, basement, carpet wall to wall, two windows,one door?? Watch only movies down there.

This Guy
08-14-2004, 02:53 PM
Thats a bummer. Have you shown her their tube subs? They could hide easily. Um, about how small does it need to be?

TinHere
08-14-2004, 04:14 PM
Maybe a three/four/five/six piece "decorator screen" to hide it?

That sub is a beast to beat. The good news is your room isn't huge so you probably can fill it with bass with a smaller sub and not know what you're missing.

Here's a DIY if you're "really" serious about bass and need a low profile approach in the room.

http://www.royaldevice.com/custom3.htm

It may too late for you madmax1, but this link also represents a good starting point to compromises that might have to be made with SO's when introducing the kind of system "you'd like to have" in your home. "I'd really like a system like this honey [show pics] , but I understand I will have to compromise a lot." Suddenly the PB2-plus is a reasonable compromise. I'm divorced. I know this kind of thinking works. :eek:

Disclaimer: This link is new to someone even if you've seen it.

skeptic
08-14-2004, 05:07 PM
You don't even get to put a subwoofer in the basement because your wife won't let you? I'd file for divorce. Mental cruelty. In the basement???? What the....

N. Abstentia
08-14-2004, 05:23 PM
If your wife wants you to replace your audio gear with a smaller model, remind her that you can replace HER with a smaller model as well.

You'll get your sub.

F1
08-14-2004, 06:11 PM
Probably smaller SVS PB1-ISD or Hsu Research VTF3-MK2 will fit the size specification (and save your money, too!). Both should be plenty for your room size. If these ones still exceeding the spec, you talk to Skeptic! :D

Pat D
08-14-2004, 06:19 PM
I was all set on getting the svs box sub PB2-plus. But she saw how big it was and said NO WAY THAT THING IS COMING IN MY HOUSE! Is there another smaller sub that is as good that is smaller? My room is 20x15, basement, carpet wall to wall, two windows,one door?? Watch only movies down there.
It may be possible to put the sub out of the way. I have used a rear corner. I know it's counter-intuitive, but that works just as well as a front corner, certainly for movies. Our big subwoofer is in the corner beside the sofa and right now it has a couple of family pictures, a pot of fake flowers, and a statue of the BVM on it. You can even put a table lamp on top of it. You could put a plant or even a stuffed chair in front of it (won't bother those long deep bass waves hardly at all). In other words, with a little thought, you can probably make it pretty unobtrusive.

You have a fair sized room. Depending on your requirements, you might find something a little smaller like the Paradigm PW-2200 will do very well for movies and most music, though I don't think it goes as low. But really, that should not be necessary. With a little bit of creativity, even such a large box can be relatively unobtrusive, and many people may think it's some sort of table or cabinet. Maybe hearing and feeling what it can do will soften her up.

mtrycraft
08-14-2004, 06:33 PM

If that basement room is for movie watching only/mainly, what is her objections?

skeptic
08-14-2004, 07:16 PM
Yes dear!
No dear!
OK dear!
Anything you say dear!

Are you her husband or just an ornament she keeps around for amusement?

Of course if she holds the deed to the house in her name, you haven't got much choice I suppose. Perhaps you should consider yourself lucky that she lets you have a stereo system in the basement at all.

kexodusc
08-15-2004, 03:17 AM
If your wife wants you to replace your audio gear with a smaller model, remind her that you can replace HER with a smaller model as well.

You'll get your sub.

ROFLMAO!!!

Err...how many successful marriages have you had now N. Abstentia?

Peter_Klim
08-15-2004, 09:00 AM
You don't even get to put a subwoofer in the basement because your wife won't let you? I'd file for divorce. Mental cruelty. In the basement???? What the....

Maybe it is HE who is being cruel- and has her locked up in the basement?

Mash
08-15-2004, 09:23 AM
I placed a Velodyne Servo-15 finished in natural-oak next to our green leather couch and then I placed oversized Shogi pieces (a gift I got in Japan) on it. The Velodyne cross-over is 55 Hz, so there were no computed, nor audible, cancellation problems with the Tympani bass panels. Oh, yes... the room was the main room in a log chalet with walls of real logs and a very high wood-panelled ceiling. Even the Tiffany-style dining room drop-lamp had some green as well as natural-oak colored glass in its shade, so the overall decor coordinated quite nicely.

Think like an interior decorator, and not like a technology-mad audiophile!

Or maybe I should say......

Think like an interior decorator, and not like an equipment-mad audiophile!

RGA
08-15-2004, 11:08 AM
Yes dear!
No dear!
OK dear!
Anything you say dear!

Are you her husband or just an ornament she keeps around for amusement?

Of course if she holds the deed to the house in her name, you haven't got much choice I suppose. Perhaps you should consider yourself lucky that she lets you have a stereo system in the basement at all.

I was watching CNN a while back - and they were saying something along the lines that women can be inseminated without the need for male sperm - it can be grown or something. The implication was that women could keep the human species going without the need of men. SO perhaps we are, or will be, in fact only here for their amusement and their service. SO better take some comedy classes and hone my garbage taking out ability. :D

cam
08-15-2004, 05:54 PM
Maybe your wife is worried that if you get this beast it will pound harder then her. Just kidding big guy. But really now, think about it, were talking about your basement, this is man's territory. She has the upstairs and you have the downstairs. There are smaller subs out there that sound like big subs, two that come to mind are the Velodyne SPL II 12, and the Paradigm seismic 12. Both are very small but also very expensive and man do they kick ass. Now some people like myself were not willing to pay for the smaller technology and decided to buy something that was on the big side. The Paradigm PW-2200 v2 for $1000 Can. It sounds big and it is big. When I said "I DO" to my now wife, that didn't mean that she leads and I follow. It meant that I CAN DO what ever the hell I want in my own basement. NO WIVES WERE HURT DURING THE MAKING OF MY HOMETHEATER ROOM!

kexodusc
08-16-2004, 03:16 AM
Man, this thread is starting to sound way too familiar the more posts I read...looks like I'm not alone in my battle to retain sovereignty...part of the deal with my fiancee moving in was she leave my HT room alone upstairs...we have a sitting room for her to go "Trading Spaces" in. The basement is off limits to her as well.
Just once I think it'd be funny if a guy hooked up with a girl, moved in with her, and then started rearranging and redecorating all of her stuff...started buying her ugly clothes from yuppie stores, replaced all flowers and girl colors with stainless steel appliances, and disapproved of her friends.

Hell, I'd pay money for that, I could live vicariously through this "man's man".

goatspeed
08-16-2004, 06:20 AM
Tell her the PB2 Plus is the smaller alternative to 2x 16-48 PC+'s. Then she'll love it!

Bryan
08-16-2004, 07:48 AM
You could go with dual Rocket UFW-10s (13.25" x 13" x 13.5"). The SVS is 25" x 19" x 25". Somewhere both have to compromise. Take your pick: Money needs to go up. Looks need to change (could add cloth for an end table or go with a different exterior on the sub). Dimensions could be different. She'll have to decide which items she is willing to compromise on. She may not like the black cloth look of the PB2-Plus but will allow the wood of the PB1-Plus. She could love the look (birdseye, ebony, or rosewood) of the smaller UFW-10 and allow two of them, especially as they are stackable (ACI Force is another option). Wouldn't compromise on performance as HT has needs. However, if she wants smaller the tradeoff will be an increased subwoofer budget.

N. Abstentia
08-16-2004, 09:04 AM
ROFLMAO!!!

Err...how many successful marriages have you had now N. Abstentia?

Just one! She's cool about it all though. She doesn't understand it, but she's cool with it.