New Digital Essentials [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Digital Essentials

recoveryone
12-06-2003, 01:32 PM
All I want to say is WOW! From the opeining anamation to the space shuttle launch, just sweet. High res DVD, just makes you want more from your everyday signals. I WANT MY HDTV! The ending montage is real nice also. All the tech stuff in between is cool too, if you never used a disk like this before. I would highly recommend all RPTV owners to get this disk. Its says there is a HD version also (l'll be looking high-n-low). The pink noise test also let me know that my system can decode EX and ES in 5.1 mode using my two rear speakers (I believe someone asked this question in a thread earlier).

Woochifer
12-08-2003, 01:32 PM
Yeah, the source material that comes with the DVE disc is really good (although dvdfle.com's review noted so haloing on the space shuttle video and that keeps it from being a true reference disc). One thing to keep in mind though, DVD is not a true HD format. You do get benefit from progressive scan and the 480 line resolution is nothing to sneeze at, but the true HD versions of DVE are for the D-VHS format, which DOES support HD resolution.

Using something like DVE will almost always dramatically improve the picture quality on your TV, especially if you're currently using nothing more than the default settings (and those are typically dialed up too way high on the sharpness and brightness). And the audio tests that come with DVE are a solid set that will work wonders on an uncalibrated system. At $25, DVE's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned, although if you've never used a calibration disc before, DVE has a steeper learning curve (and more confusing tutorials) than a more beginning level disc like the Sound & Vision Home Theatre Setup DVD.

Rob1956
12-09-2003, 01:38 AM
$25 phooey! I found it for $16.48 at Deepdiscountdvd.com