Looking to add serious sub-woofer. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Looking to add serious sub-woofer.

swgiust
08-14-2004, 07:03 AM
My home theater consist of good quality, sort of middle of the road equipment. We use it constantly for movies and tv. I am looking to add a serious, powerful sub-woofer. Although my speakers are powered towers, I have noticed they don't produce the "punch in the gut" bass that I have felt and heard in many showrooms. I am looking for opinions from people who have owned a good sub-woofer, not what the web is saying as the next great thing.

My room is 18' x 18' with a vaulted ceiling. It has an opening about 8ft wide on the left wall towards the back corner. I do have acoustic treatments on the back and right side wall. The back has an external door and the right side has windows, so I added heavy insulated
curtains to both sides. I may also add a curtain behind my tv and fronts. We have two couches and a large chair and the floor is carpeted.

My system consist of a 65" Mits HDTV, a JVC RXDP10 reciever, 7 Outlaw Audio M-200
mono block amplifiers, and Infinity speakers. My fronts are the IL-60, 3 way with a 12"
500 watt sub in each. My side surrounds are IL-50, 2 way with a 10" 250 watt sub in each.
My rear surrounds are IL-10, 2 way bookshelf speakers.

My budget is $ 1000 to $ 2000

Thanks

grampi
08-14-2004, 07:17 AM
With that kind of a budget, you could buy a very decent sub, or build your own phenominal sub. I built my own sub using a 15" Tempest sub and a 250 watt plate amp I bought from Parts Express. I have less than $400 invested and it sounds better than most of the subs you can buy except for the ultra high dollar subs. The amount of output is incredible, and it's in a large living room (about 18 x 25). For $1K-$2K, you could use PE's most powerful amp (1000 watts) and a very high end driver that would blow away any pre-made sub.

swgiust
08-14-2004, 07:20 AM
I forgot a few things. My speakers are all set to small and I am using the lfe output
to the subs. thanks.

N. Abstentia
08-14-2004, 07:26 AM
Definitely put the Paradigm Servo 15 on your audition list.

But if you're willing to go closer to $2000 you could get TWO $1000 subs, and if that's the case I'd look into SVS. Two of these should do it:
http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pb2_isd.htm

This Guy
08-14-2004, 08:54 AM
Are you going to be using the subwoofers in your main speakers along with this new subwoofer? If you do you're likely to get cancellation at some frequencies. Maybe you can just not use the subwoofer in them? We're gonna need a budget. If you want the most bang for your buck make your own sub. Subwoofers are the easiest speakers to make. You could even get a kit from partsexpress.com. It has all the parts, you just put it together. Look at the 15" titanic kit for $680.

grampi
08-14-2004, 01:09 PM
I would think a DIY sub in a properly designed and constructed sealed enclosure with PE's 1000 watt amp and an Adire Brahma 15" sub would blow away any pre-made sub. Just my thought.

This Guy
08-14-2004, 02:02 PM
Yeah, they actually have a home version of the Brahma called the Tumult. Lower resonance frequency and larger xmax. Get a high powered crown amp, maybe 1200 watts rms on a sealed Tumult would be very hard to beat for any price.

kingdaddykeith
08-14-2004, 02:18 PM
4 or 8 Stryke AV-15's in a manifold IB would out displace and out SPL anything commercial that I know of, and it should be under 2K considering what amplification you choose. If you really wanted to go all out and your house has a little attic space for the manifold and you use a good pro amp you should be able to do the 8-AV15 version for $2400. In most rooms that should get you (with a BFD) flat to 15Hz and a good 120db SPL at 20Hz, with little to no compression.

s dog
08-14-2004, 02:19 PM
Are you going to be using the subwoofers in your main speakers along with this new subwoofer? If you do you're likely to get cancellation at some frequencies. Maybe you can just not use the subwoofer in them? We're gonna need a budget. If you want the most bang for your buck make your own sub. Subwoofers are the easiest speakers to make. You could even get a kit from partsexpress.com. It has all the parts, you just put it together. Look at the 15" titanic kit for $680. Do you know much about that 15'' titanic sub from partsexpress.com , I have been looking at them for awhile ,i just wander how good they sound.

This Guy
08-14-2004, 02:29 PM
I don't personally have any experience with this sub. I have bought dayton/partsexpress products before and they're great. If you plot this woofer in a 3 cubic foot sealed box with a 1000 watts it looks beautiful. I'm going by graphs. Ask a member here called "Sealed." He reviewed this sub in the DIY forum on this site. Annechoically this sub has an F3 (down 3 dB) of around 36 hz, But do to room loading that will bump down to the mid to low 20's depending how big your room is and if you put it in a corner, and will have usable output even lower because it's a sealed design. (if you did that with a ported enclosure it would unload the woofer causing it to bottom out.)

-Joey

hershon
08-14-2004, 06:26 PM
Do any of you guys actually like and listen to music?

I don't personally have any experience with this sub. I have bought dayton/partsexpress products before and they're great. If you plot this woofer in a 3 cubic foot sealed box with a 1000 watts it looks beautiful. I'm going by graphs. Ask a member here called "Sealed." He reviewed this sub in the DIY forum on this site. Annechoically this sub has an F3 (down 3 dB) of around 36 hz, But do to room loading that will bump down to the mid to low 20's depending how big your room is and if you put it in a corner, and will have usable output even lower because it's a sealed design. (if you did that with a ported enclosure it would unload the woofer causing it to bottom out.)

-Joey

mtrycraft
08-14-2004, 06:27 PM
My home theater consist of good quality, sort of middle of the road equipment. We use it constantly for movies and tv. I am looking to add a serious, powerful sub-woofer. Although my speakers are powered towers, I have noticed they don't produce the "punch in the gut" bass that I have felt and heard in many showrooms. I am looking for opinions from people who have owned a good sub-woofer, not what the web is saying as the next great thing.

My room is 18' x 18' with a vaulted ceiling. It has an opening about 8ft wide on the left wall towards the back corner. I do have acoustic treatments on the back and right side wall. The back has an external door and the right side has windows, so I added heavy insulated
curtains to both sides. I may also add a curtain behind my tv and fronts. We have two couches and a large chair and the floor is carpeted.

My system consist of a 65" Mits HDTV, a JVC RXDP10 reciever, 7 Outlaw Audio M-200
mono block amplifiers, and Infinity speakers. My fronts are the IL-60, 3 way with a 12"
500 watt sub in each. My side surrounds are IL-50, 2 way with a 10" 250 watt sub in each.
My rear surrounds are IL-10, 2 way bookshelf speakers.

My budget is $ 1000 to $ 2000

Thanks

If you are not interested in doing it yourself as kingdaddy suggested except you'd need a basement with that vaulted ceiling, I would suggest checking out the SVS subs as was mentioned above,

This Guy
08-14-2004, 07:39 PM
Do any of you guys actually like and listen to music?
uh yeah I do Hershon. What, because I actually know what makes a good subwoofer means I don't like music? You know what, I could argue with you about this all over again, but I'm not gonna. You already proved yourself worthless in these forums, and I don't think I could make you look like any more of an idiot.

hershon
08-14-2004, 09:49 PM
If I look like an idiot to you and your cronies, all I say is consider the source. You and your buddies are the most anal people I've ever "met" in my life. I think you guys need someone to tell you to get a life.
uh yeah I do Hershon. What, because I actually know what makes a good subwoofer means I don't like music? You know what, I could argue with you about this all over again, but I'm not gonna. You already proved yourself worthless in these forums, and I don't think I could make you look like any more of an idiot.

detoe
08-15-2004, 12:54 AM
I have owned Velodyne HGS-15 for about 4 years now and I love it. It hits hard and it hits low. It is also servo controlled so it is very tight and one of the highest quality subs you will ever hear. The more you use it the better it sounds. Try out the HGS-12. It is a sealed box about 12" x 12", has a maximum output of 3,000 watts (1500 RMS) and will blow you away. Retail is $2,200 but you can find one for around $2,000. I also compared the HGS-15 with the Paradigm Servo 15 and the Velodyne kicked it's trash. The paradigm is a nice sub but you'll love the velodyne a lot more. If you're willing to spend the money the Paradigm Signature 15 has just come out and it is supposed to go as low as 11 hz and put out 4,500 watts peak. I haven't heard it but it is also $3,000. Good luck

swgiust
08-16-2004, 06:05 AM
Are you going to be using the subwoofers in your main speakers along with this new subwoofer? If you do you're likely to get cancellation at some frequencies. Maybe you can just not use the subwoofer in them? We're gonna need a budget. If you want the most bang for your buck make your own sub. Subwoofers are the easiest speakers to make. You could even get a kit from partsexpress.com. It has all the parts, you just put it together. Look at the 15" titanic kit for $680.

The idea is to set my speakers to large, full range, and use the new sub for the
truly lfe stuff. Infinty powered towers can be run as a "small" speaker and a sub,
or they can be run as a "large" or full range speaker.

The sub I buy must also have some sort of equilization, my room requires it.

Bryan
08-16-2004, 06:26 AM
A SVS PB2-Plus (http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pb2_plus.htm) and a Behringer Feedback Destroyer will run you around $1,400 or so total. You could also take a look at AV123 (http://www.av123.com)s upcoming UFW-12 or dual UFW-10s and pick up R-DES (http://forum.av123.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4248&perpage=15&highlight=What%20is%20RDES&pagenumber=1) when it comes out (should be sometime later on this year). For mostly HT purposes, I'd say a SVS PB2-Plus should be all you need.

This Guy
08-16-2004, 11:42 AM
Oh alright. You're going to need the Behringer feedback destroyer that Bryan mentioned. If you go with the 15" Titanic you wouldn't need to buy one because it has a parametric EQ built in. But I'm gonna agree with Bryan with the SVS. It will go louder and lower and probably favor more towards movies than music (because it's ported).

typehxr
08-25-2004, 08:32 AM
I purchased the 12" Titanic about a month ago. I've used it sparingly since I got it because I've been really busy, however, the first two days I tested it quite a bit. I was happy with it for both movies and music. I was coming from an SVS passive sub. The Titanic sounded better with music. Movies are the same. I did have a considerable amount of hum from the unit but it was because my cable line was disrupting my signal. I had to buy a cable adapter from partsexpress for 10 bucks and it worked out fine. the dayton driver is made partly of kevlar (bullet proof material). It really hits and extends out quite bit when pushed.