Subwoofer Cable Run, Lenght [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer Cable Run, Lenght

jackz4000
12-06-2003, 09:14 AM
I have a fairly large room, 22X26, with high catherdral 20 ft ceiling. I think my optimium subwoofer (Infinity IL120s, 12", 500RMS) placement is about 25 feet from the receiver. I plan to use a good quality cable, but will I "loose" anything running a cable that lenght? Thanks.

woodman
12-06-2003, 10:59 AM
No, you won't lose anything at all by running 25ft. ... or 35ft. ... or 50ft.

One more thing. Do not get suckered into buying an expensive "subwoofer cable" for this purpose. What I'd recommend is that you get a RG-6 or RG-59 "television cable" and a pair of "F to RCA" adaptors to attach to each end. This will do the job perfectly, with no loss whatever, and at the least cost. Anything beyond this is "overkill" and just a waste of your hard-earned.

jackz4000
12-06-2003, 11:06 AM
I didn't think there would be much loss. Yes, you are correct about the too too pricey cables out there. I picked up an AR one for $8...I expect it will do nicely. Cheers.

zapr
12-06-2003, 12:14 PM
I have the paradigm ps1000.It has auto on off.The problem I had was it would turn on but wouldn't turn off. The guy I bought it from said the cables I used were cheap.Not insulated very well,and frequencies from other lines were getting through to the sub and keeping it on.I run about 25ft.of cable.Anyway he hooked me up with some better cables and it solved the problem.

jackz4000
12-06-2003, 04:33 PM
Thats interesting. The cable I ordered seems to be very well shielded, I will find out once I have it all up and running. There is definitely a good deal of hype associated with cable and wire---especially of the monster variety. Then again, if you are patient---one can get a good price on....anything. I doubt I will have much interference. I live up in the mountains, high on a ridge and even getting any FM signal can be a chore. Where did your interference come from???

zapr
12-07-2003, 04:12 PM
The interference,from what I'm told, came from running the sub cables along with other cable lines,such as lamp cords,other electric cords,anything that carries a signal.The lower grade patch cords that I bought allowed these signals to filter through and the sub picked them up,reading them as a signal and keeping the sub on even after I turned my system off.The ps1000 will stay on for fifteen minutes after shut down but mine would stay on.I was told by my sales rep the cables were the problem.He fixed me up with better cables that he had to make up,two sets of 25ft.lengths cost me a hundred bucks. I didn't notice any better sound but it did solve the problem.If you are running a good length of cable,you may want to consider a small step up with cables.