My Lexicon is SOLD. I love e-bay! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My Lexicon is SOLD. I love e-bay!

Swish
08-13-2004, 02:26 PM
For anyone interested, I mentioned a couple weeks ago that I was selling my DC-1 with V4 upgrade (DTS Verison) HT Processor but nobody was interested. I was willing to part with it for $500.00, so I'm really glad nobody was interested, because I got $800 for it on e-bay. Sweeeeeeeet! Anyay, the guy who bought it had one that died on him, although his old one didn't have the DTS option. He's happy and I'm happy. Why did I sell it? I upgraded to the new Rotel RSP 1098, also a 7.1 channel processor, and I'm quite happy with it so far. I can now play DVD Audio discs, something the Lex could not handle. And the $800 sure makes the cost of the Rotel a little easier to swallow.

Here's a pic of my new baby. Well, this isn't mine, but it's the same model. Ok, mine is black and this is silver, but you get the idea. :)

Swish

DarrenH
08-13-2004, 03:40 PM
Nice looking unit. What's that in the center, between the knobs?

Looks like an lcd display or something. Pretty cool.

What does the 7.1 provide vs the 5.1? A rear center channel and what else?

Darren

Swish
08-13-2004, 05:48 PM
Nice looking unit. What's that in the center, between the knobs?

Looks like an lcd display or something. Pretty cool.

What does the 7.1 provide vs the 5.1? A rear center channel and what else?

Darren
but with mine it's two sides along with the fronts, rears and centers. And, yes, that is an LCD display in the center. You can actually program the thing without the remote, although using the remote is a little easier IMO. It's also a "learning" remote with its own manual, and between the two, it gets a liitle intense. Programming the remote so it does everything is a chore, but one I need to tackle.

Swish Baby

DarrenH
08-13-2004, 06:16 PM
but with mine it's two sides along with the fronts, rears and centers. And, yes, that is an LCD display in the center. You can actually program the thing without the remote, although using the remote is a little easier IMO. It's also a "learning" remote with its own manual, and between the two, it gets a liitle intense. Programming the remote so it does everything is a chore, but one I need to tackle.

Swish Baby

Wouldn't that be 8.1 though? Unless there's only one center. I guess I'm confused.

That pic you posted was cool. I like the silver look.

Darren

Swish
08-13-2004, 07:06 PM
Wouldn't that be 8.1 though? Unless there's only one center. I guess I'm confused.

That pic you posted was cool. I like the silver look.

Darren

although you could configure it that way, but not in my HT. Glad you like the silver, but my unit is all black as I mentioned in my original post. It matches the rest of my rig with the exception of my silver Panasonic RP 82 DVD player.

Swish

DarrenH
08-13-2004, 07:55 PM
I wouldn't like the rear center either. Most dialogue comes from the center foreground but I suppose there are instances where some dialogue would need to come from the center background that wouldn't otherwise be presented in the rear speakers. I dunno, that seems redundant to me. Like I said, I wouldn't like the rear center.

Are you finding enough DVD's recorded in 7.1 to warrant an upgrade such as this?

Personally, I haven't seen any from the DVD purchases/rentals that I've made.

Darren

Swish
08-14-2004, 01:51 AM
I wouldn't like the rear center either. Most dialogue comes from the center foreground but I suppose there are instances where some dialogue would need to come from the center background that wouldn't otherwise be presented in the rear speakers. I dunno, that seems redundant to me. Like I said, I wouldn't like the rear center.

Are you finding enough DVD's recorded in 7.1 to warrant an upgrade such as this?

Personally, I haven't seen any from the DVD purchases/rentals that I've made.

Darren
Well, perhaps some lone wolf out there has come up with something, but I've never seen anything with a 7.1 mix. Anyway, what the Rotel and my former Lexicon processors do is take the 5.1 material and matrix it into 7.1 cahannels. Lexicon calls it "Logic 7" but I'm not sure what Rotel calls it. I guess I need to consult my manual, eh? When I set out to design my HT, the Lexicon dealer suggested di-pole speakers placed high up on the side walls. This creates an excellent sound stage in my opinion, and it's really easy to compare since my side speakers are powered by a separate 2 channel amp. I had several of my friends listen to the same material in 5.1 and then 7.1, and not one of them thought the 5.1 sounded better. Not that 5.1 sounded bad mind you, it's just that the 7.1 added something extra that fills the room with sound.

Swish

Dusty Chalk
08-14-2004, 07:14 AM
...alright, yes you can.

J/K...

Nice! I've always admired that unit when I saw the ads.

Dang! And here I was, semi-regretting my decision not to be interested.