Opinions on the group Pallas [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the group Pallas

3-LockBox
08-13-2004, 09:42 AM
I actually have already perchased the disc <i>The Cross And The Crucible</i> used via amazon (at the same time I purchased <i>Dark Matter</i> and <b>Porcupine Tree</b> <i>Signify</i>). It hasn't come in yet, but I read a few good things about it. Anyone here own it?

3-LockBox
08-13-2004, 10:21 AM
BTW: <i>Signify</i> is an awesome album. I've heard some of these tunes before on the <i>Coma Divine</i> album, but the album as a whole has superb flow to it and might be my new favorite.

Dave_G
08-13-2004, 10:22 AM
I have this cd and I absolutely love it.

In general if you like neo prog like IQ et al you will like Pallas a LOT.

I think they kick butt.

After about the 6th listen this cd really hit home for me.

Dave

BarryL
08-13-2004, 12:13 PM
I actually have already perchased the disc <i>The Cross And The Crucible</i> used via amazon (at the same time I purchased <i>Dark Matter</i> and <b>Porcupine Tree</b> <i>Signify</i>). It hasn't come in yet, but I read a few good things about it. Anyone here own it?

The Cross & The Crucible is a great album, and their prior one, Beat the Drum is also very good. Also, going back a bit further, The Sentinal is enjoyable. The singer reminds me of John Wetton. This band deserves a lot more attention than they get. They've matured nicely.

progfan
08-14-2004, 05:16 AM
My sentimental favorite is "The Sentinel". It's slightly Spinal Tap what with the occasional spoken verses but it's a terrific heavy hitting neo-prog album with some great mellotron. In fact, it's one of the essential prog albums of the 80s, imo.

"The Cross" as you know, is terrific too. I didn't like "Beat the Drum" much. It was a bit too arena rockish, I think. I have a compilation CD of Pallas' second album and their mini-album called "Knight Moves to Wedge" and it's kind of commercial too but a better album, imo.

If you can put up with less than stellar sound quality, check out "Arrive Alive", an archival material type release with lots of long, mostly live tracks recorded in 1981. Great mellotrons on this one too.

I still need to get my hands on the DVD though.