Liquid nails, wood glue, or something else for a sub box? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Liquid nails, wood glue, or something else for a sub box?

grampi
12-06-2003, 07:29 AM
I will be building a new sub enclosure for my HT system. I would like to build it without using any screws because I'm going to make it match the rest of our oak furnature which has no screws or nails. What's the best glue to use? This thing will have to be very sturdy as it will be housing a Tempest. Also, I will be applying a veneer or a formica to the outside of the box. What's a good adhesive to use for this? Thanks.

mtrycraft
12-06-2003, 09:39 PM
I will be building a new sub enclosure for my HT system. I would like to build it without using any screws because I'm going to make it match the rest of our oak furnature which has no screws or nails. What's the best glue to use? This thing will have to be very sturdy as it will be housing a Tempest. Also, I will be applying a veneer or a formica to the outside of the box. What's a good adhesive to use for this? Thanks.

While liquid nail is a good construction adhesive, I'd recomment wood glue, either the yellow one or the more expensive Gorilla Glue.
What wood are you using? Make sure you apply a thin, even coat on both surfaces, not a bead, and use clamps, lots, for at least 6 hours or longer. Make sure you tighten the clamps well.

GaToy
12-07-2003, 01:50 PM
Also you didn't say what kind of wood you were using. The accousticly ideal wood to use would be particle board. It's what 80% of all speakers are made from.

~C.C.~

GaToy
12-07-2003, 01:52 PM
I would like to build it without using any screws because I'm going to make it match the rest of our oak furnature which has no screws or nails. Also, I will be applying a veneer or a formica to the outside of the box.

Are you going to build a sealed enclosure or a ported one. I have been building sub boxes for cars for almost 15 years. So I speak from experience. You need to screw a sealed box together. When a sub hits the box flexes. If you don't there is no way to ensure that you have no leaks. With a ported enclosure you wouldn't have to worry about this. Why not build it with counter sunk screws. You said you were going to vaneer over it anyway. Also if you plan on covering it any way you want a good seal. Just use white paintable silicon cawk on the inside of the box after it is built. That is if you go with a sealed enclosure.

~C.C.~

karl k
12-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Elmers Carpenters Glue for the joints
Dowel pins or biscuits if screws CAN'T be used
Bar clamps overnight
Contact cement for the veneer
Stain after couple days
Clear poly a couple days after stain