Charley (ot) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Charley (ot)

Chip_B
08-12-2004, 11:05 AM
Time to batten down the hatches and bring in the patio furniture. Charley's on the way.

MacDill AFB shut down most base facilities before noon and CENTCOM released us at 1PM, so after we put all paperwork and desk items in cabinets, unplugged everything we could get to, and placed our computers on our desks, we headed home.

The base is in very low-lying areas right on Tampa Bay, so it gets flooded out every time we have heavy rains (which is frequently)...I figure it'll be pretty much underwater by the time Charley 'breezes' through.

Pinellas County (St. Pete) is evacuating 380,000 people in anticipation of major storm surge; highest total (40% of the county population) ever to be evac'd. We're further inland so unless we're given a mandatory evac notice, we've decided to stay put. Homes here are built to hurricane specs, so we'll be safer here than stuck on the highway somewhere. We're stocked (water and batteries) and we'll make do when the inevitable power outage occurs.

Right now I'm just waiting for my wife and kiddies to get home...wish us luck!

-Chip

Dave_G
08-12-2004, 11:13 AM
Good luck, dood.

Regards,

Dave

ForeverAutumn
08-12-2004, 11:55 AM
Geez, that makes me feel pretty silly for *****ing, earlier today, about our recent bout of cloudy days. The worst we've seen is the odd thunderstorm. Thanks for putting things in perspective for me.

Good luck Chip. Stay safe. I'll be thinking and worrying about you when I watch the storm updates on the news.

dld
08-12-2004, 12:02 PM
Good luck Chip, we've been thru a bunch of those beasts, they're no fun. Batten down the hatches and stay dry and let me know how it all turns out.

Finch Platte
08-12-2004, 01:19 PM
Make a blues 'Weather' comp. All the songs have to be about the weather.

You can do it!

fp

Oh, yeah. Good luck with that breeze comin' thru.

tentoze
08-12-2004, 02:26 PM
Hang in there, Chip- I sent an email to my youngest kid in Clearwater earlier today telling him the same thing. I'll be following this with some anxiety...........

JDaniel
08-12-2004, 07:37 PM
Be safe amigo. I'll be thinking about you and your family.

JD

Worf101
08-12-2004, 09:21 PM
Be safe and be good. Do NOT go on the roof and hollar at the wind. I've always wanted to do that after seeing the Captain in "Das Boot" shouting at a gale at the top of his lungs. Hunker down man and let us know you're safe... safe.... safe. And remember gear can be replaced, life can't.

Da Worfster :(

TheThrill
08-13-2004, 06:09 AM
Best of luck Chip, there's never a good time for horrific weather events like Charley, let alone two of them in close proximity. I heard a news report that the Cincinnati Bengals left a day early in order to reach Tampa prior to hitting the eye of the storm. The trip could be a real "eye opener" for a few of the players. It will be ineteresting to hear their views of a hurricane as compared to the snow storms they occasionally encounter late in the season in Cincy.

N. Abstentia
08-13-2004, 06:49 AM
[QUOTE=Finch Platte]Make a blues 'Weather' comp. All the songs have to be about the weather.

You can do it!
QUOTE]

Hmm....

Rush - Jacob's Ladder

The clouds prepare for battle
In the dark and brooding silence.
Bruised and sullen stormclouds
Have the light of day obscured.
Looming low and ominous
In twilight premature
Thunderheads are rumbling
In a distant overture...

That's the only song you need on the comp.

Chip_B
08-13-2004, 07:35 AM
We've done everything we can to get ready, so now it's just a matter of waiting for it to hit. We've taken every precaution short of leaving the area, so hopefully, we've minimized the risks. It will suck not having power for what will very likely be an extended period, but what can you do?

Ginny and I talked at length about evacuating, but decided it would be too difficult to transport five humans and six animals (not including the children) and all the other stuff we'd need to take. We were also concerned about getting back home once the storm had passed and ultimately decided to stick around. Fortunately we're on higher ground in 'Zone E'; mandatory evacs affect Zones A, B, and C.

I'll post/email when we get our power back and let everyone know how we fared.

BTW, I have no illusions about what this will be like and I'm not treating it like it will be some 'big adventure'. It will be scary as hell. I really appreciate the sympathetic posts and emails and hope you'll keep us in your prayers.

-Chip

Dave_G
08-13-2004, 08:05 AM
Awwww it's just a bunch of wind and water!

I guess the storm surge is the biggest threat and floods, huh.

Glad you are on higher ground.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that ya'll do fine!

Dave

newtrix1
08-13-2004, 08:07 AM
Be safe and be good. And remember gear can be replaced, life can't.

Da Worfster :(

Forget about the material posessions, let 'em break or blow away! Hope you have plenty of ice on hand (gotta keep the beer cold). My bro-in-law decided to stay put in Tampa as well, he's got a bottle of rum to keep him company. best of luck dude.