Do you grow out of tweaking? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Do you grow out of tweaking?

siamese dream
08-12-2004, 09:19 AM
When i first started building a hifi system 8 years ago I would try everything, all the mad tweaks that people would post on the internet and in magazines. But in the last 2 or 3 years I've kinda stopped experimenting so much, I guess I just became sick of listening for tiny changes.

woodman
08-12-2004, 12:15 PM
When i first started building a hifi system 8 years ago I would try everything, all the mad tweaks that people would post on the internet and in magazines. But in the last 2 or 3 years I've kinda stopped experimenting so much, I guess I just became sick of listening for tiny changes.

Congratulations ... you've learned a very valuable lesson, dreamster!

I've been involved in electronics for better than 65 years (!), and I learned long ago that the performance differences that others reported getting from different components and "tweaks" (especially the latter) were usually so damned small, minute, microscopic, minuscule, tiny, and in the final analysis - irrelevant that it just became one big, fat joke to me that so many "audiophools" or CONEs as I came to call them, would be so easily taken in and bamboozled by what was more often than not ... snake oil!

mtrycraft
08-12-2004, 02:38 PM
I just became sick of listening for tiny changes.

More likely no changes at all, just a perception, a mind imposed effect.

siamese dream
08-12-2004, 03:14 PM
More likely no changes at all, just a perception, a mind imposed effect.

Well maybe sometimes but often there were tiny changes but as the other poster sayd they're usually fairly irrelevant.

plextor guy
08-12-2004, 04:42 PM

You're now officially an adult. Many go through a phase of experimentation fueled by enthusiasm and curiosity. At some point most realize that beyond a certain rather easily obtained point the law of diminshing returns kicks in in a big way. Now that the tweak urge is gone relax and enjoy the music.