Megadeth remixed and remastered [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Megadeth remixed and remastered

siamese dream
08-12-2004, 09:13 AM
Has anybody heard any of these albums? I have Peace Sells But Who's Buying and Youthanasia. They sound quite a bit different, bass is more powerful, not sure about them though maybe I'm just used to the originals. i think i would have preferred if they'd just been remastered.

kexodusc
08-12-2004, 09:27 AM
I didn't even know they existed...Interesting...Countdown isn't the greatest recording ever, that's for sure...Is there a remastered "Rust In Peace" available?

mad rhetorik
08-12-2004, 10:32 AM
Is there a remastered "Rust In Peace" available?

That would be great, though I hope they don't ruin a classic album by tacking on a bunch of bonus tracks, or overemphasizing the low-end. I think some remasters go a bit overboard on the bass and compression, resulting in ruined sound.

I know they remastered their first album <b>Killing Is My Business...</b> a while ago. The original version had pretty awful sound quality. <b>Peace Sells..</b> could use a remastering as well, in my opinion. I'll have to give the new version a listen.

siamese dream
08-12-2004, 10:33 AM
They were released 2 weeks ago. All albums from Peace Sells to Risk I think. Killing Is My Business was remastered 2 years ago.

They all have 4 "bonus" tracks at the end. I'm really not sure about the sound, the low end is certainly heavier, I am also wondering if I'm hearing digital clipping at certain points which is a bit of a worry, I'm not certain though. If any of you could analyse the wavefiles it would be interesting.

kexodusc
08-12-2004, 10:56 AM
Can someone describe to me what sounds they associate with "digital clipping"?

I know when a recording sounds good, and when it sounds bad...when too much compression is used and soft symbal tap sounds like a cannon, but "digital clipping" ins't a term I use or hear frequently...

Just a shot in the dark, is it responsible for the really crappy, almost "slurred" highs (especially symbals) that you often hear on crappy cd's (or even more on MP3's)? I hate that more than anything else!!!

Anyhow...I've already bought so many versions of "Rust In Peace"...what's one more?

siamese dream
08-12-2004, 12:09 PM
Digital clipping is a sort of harsh, fuzzy sound. It's caused when the loudest parts of the music are basically cut off at the digital mastering stage (CDs have a limited dynamic range). It's not a pleasant sound. The worst album I have with the digital clipping problem is Zwan's "Mary, Star of the Sea".

kexodusc
08-12-2004, 12:43 PM
Yeah, fuzzy is a good adjective, I think I know what you mean...

Dusty Chalk
08-12-2004, 07:38 PM
Actually, digital clipping ends up introducing whole new frequencies that weren't in the original recording, which is why it's so nasty. It is easily the worst offense a remaster can make.