amp problems [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : amp problems

jvg
08-12-2004, 08:22 AM
Just a quick question: I purchased an Onkyo TXSR 701 receiver. Then I went and bought the paradigm's studio 80 for fronts and studio cc for center channel. Other equipment being used is an energy 10' sub and polk RTi4 for surrounds and a Polk Csi3 for the rear speaker. Even though I read plenty of comments saying that the Onkyo was not enough to drive the paradigm's, its too late to return it and indeed the Onkyo struggles with this assignment.

So my question is: a) sould I get an amp or pre amp, and if so what kind, I am lost. or b) definitely get another receiver, and if so what do you recommend in that price range: 800 to 1, 000 dollars. I should also note that although I enjoy playing movies, I am still hooked to audio, playing mostly cds with an arcam player and vinlys with a rega 3.

Many thanks for the time and all the best.

markw
08-12-2004, 08:32 AM
...how does it sound to you? Not everyone listens at the same levels. Additionally, a powered sub can relievera lot of stress from the main channels.

Bear in mind that doubling the power only results in a meager 3 db increase in peak levels.

Again, stop reading and start listening. You may be happier and save money to boot.

musicguy04
08-12-2004, 08:45 AM
Paradigm Studios are very good speakers. I'm not familiar at all with the Onkyo receiver or how much power it has. If you noticed it struggling yourself then it's probably time to return in and upgrade, as this will probably not improve. Regarding receivers in your price range, maybe look into Yamaha RX-V2400 or Denon AVR-3805. But audition them first and make sure you can return them for full refund.

If you get an amp, get a 3 channel amp so all 3 front channels in HT should sound similarly. For receivers, I guess it's a little above your price range, but I heard the Arcam AVR-300 is good. Also, companies that make decent amps, such as Rotel might have good receivers that you'd like to try (or even amps). I think Rotel has a 6 channel amp that can be bridged to 3 channels with decent power, but don't count me on that. Good luck to you.

jvg
08-12-2004, 09:05 AM
...how does it sound to you? Not everyone listens at the same levels. Additionally, a powered sub can relievera lot of stress from the main channels.

Bear in mind that doubling the power only results in a meager 3 db increase in peak levels.

Again, stop reading and start listening. You may be happier and save money to boot.

Mny thanks, I will do this

jvg
08-12-2004, 09:06 AM
Paradigm Studios are very good speakers. I'm not familiar at all with the Onkyo receiver or how much power it has. If you noticed it struggling yourself then it's probably time to return in and upgrade, as this will probably not improve. Regarding receivers in your price range, maybe look into Yamaha RX-V2400 or Denon AVR-3805. But audition them first and make sure you can return them for full refund.

If you get an amp, get a 3 channel amp so all 3 front channels in HT should sound similarly. For receivers, I guess it's a little above your price range, but I heard the Arcam AVR-300 is good. Also, companies that make decent amps, such as Rotel might have good receivers that you'd like to try (or even amps). I think Rotel has a 6 channel amp that can be bridged to 3 channels with decent power, but don't count me on that. Good luck to you.

Again thanks.

jvg
08-12-2004, 03:49 PM
Any other suggestions, all feedback appreciated-