"Kill Bill Vol. 2" on DVD [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : "Kill Bill Vol. 2" on DVD

Worf101
08-11-2004, 06:45 AM
I lucked into the last copy at Blockbuster last night. I missed it in the theatre and I am glad they put out the DVD so soon.

Story - B+, although it's hard to judge due to the non-linear story telling. I like having the blanks filled in. It is a complete story but I'll have to wait for the deluxe version which will offer the film to us in a linear fashion before I can reevaluate it.

Sound - A+, Outstanding, gives the rear's a good work out in DTS. And I love the fact that DTS is offered. Kudos!

Visual - A, hell, it's a DVD for cryin' out loud.

Best Scene - The Brides training with the infamous Pei Mei and her fight with the one eyed Elle.

Extras - D-, Nothing much to look at. One deleted scene and the typical "making of" thingy. Obviously they're holding everything back for the "Deluxe, super special, Superduperbit" box set that should be out by Christmas.

Personally I'd say wait for the Deluxe set at Christmas. Rent it but don't buy it.

Da Worfster

markw
08-11-2004, 07:33 AM
...will actually be the two pictures edited to make one. I wonder if the sequence of events will change. Seems likely since they seemed to be way out of sequence in the two movies.

But, I guess the O Ren Ishi fight made a better ending to the first movie than a beginning.

Dusty Chalk
08-11-2004, 07:39 AM
...but I'll have to wait for the deluxe version which will offer the film to us in a linear fashion before I can reevaluate it...That's just not like Tarantino. I mean, you might be able to program it in order, but...why? You'd have to start with "The Origin of O-Ren", which isn't exactly the greatest way to start the story, is it? And that whole "Lonely Grave of Paula Schultz"/"Cruel Tutelage of Pai Mei" sequence would have to be completely recut...

I thought it was a great movie. I like Vol. 1 better, but that was mostly for the insane carnage, impossible to outdo, and I'm glad he didn't even try. I still enjoyed both volumes, and would recommend them to anyone who would enjoy a Tarantino film (I have to make that qualification because I actually know people who don't like his sense of humour -- losers).

uncooked
08-11-2004, 09:55 AM
i also got the last copy at the local rental store last night, I liked the movie its a bit more realistic then the first one, which had blood spraying everywhere like the whole film. But then again its not quite as entertaining becuase its mostly story and filling stuff in.

kexodusc
08-11-2004, 10:40 AM
Being the non-confrontational person I am, I liked both flicks equally. Picked up Vol. 2 today so I can watch it tonight (hopefully).

I think Tarantino really redeemed himself after a sub-par "Jackie Brown". I've always worried that his movies were too similar, though I'm a huge fan and love every single won (even Jackie, just not as much). But you could always say "that's a Tarantino movie".
Kill Bill was unlike anything else Tarantino's done before (though it retained the Tarantino "style") and, to me at least, was very refreshing.

I've come to realize by looking at my DVD collection, that I rarely enjoy "Deluxe" editions of DVD's more than the plain DVD's, and barely watch the special features included in the menus. Even if I do buy the fancier version, I rarely have time to watch anything but the movie itself. Some glad I bought both editions of the LOTR DVD's...
Guess I generally agree with the directors, if it doesn't make the theater version, I can probably live without it.

Except for "Momento"...boy, did I ever need help to "get" that one.

eisforelectronic
08-12-2004, 02:46 AM
I put off buying Vol 1 in hopes they would release a box set type of thing.

Troy
08-12-2004, 06:44 AM
Yes, it will be good to see the 2 movies as a single film.

I don't expect Q to re-edit the 2 movies for the upcoming single film package. He's always been a non-linear timeline sorta guy. Why would he go linear now?

Dusty Chalk
08-12-2004, 08:03 AM
Being the non-confrontational person I am, I liked both flicks equally.Freakin' Libra. (J/K...I only say that because I get accused of that all the time.)

Actually, I don't really think the two are comparable, and make for an excellent double-feature (or one long film, or "they complement each other well", or however you want to phrase it). But they really are very different.

Sort of spoilers ahead!

Take, for example, the dialogue. In the first one, it's cheesy as L (on purpose, methinks). In the second one, I think he goes back to more typically Tarantino-esque dialogue. Especially two exchanges: the one between Bill and his brother, and the other between Bill and what's-her-name towards the end.