Any Tortoise fans out there? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any Tortoise fans out there?

shaemus
08-10-2004, 09:22 PM
I love what these guys have done. Very creative. Awesome grooves. A big sonic armchair.
I really liked them when I first heard them but figured that alot of the music was just programmed, I didn't figure that there was much of an organic element to it. But I've seen them live three times and they blow me away everytime. I just didn't expect the music to transfer well to a live environment.

Anyone else dig these guys? I recommend a listen (ideally a whole album).

Dusty Chalk
08-10-2004, 10:16 PM
I dig 'em. And totally concur with the live comment -- highly recommended live. Just good musicians making good music, and all very enjoyable. Kind of like being a fly on the wall for a well-rehearsed recording session.

nobody
08-11-2004, 08:34 AM
I get frustrated with this band. At times, I listen and get really interested. They are creative and can really play. Some of the lushness in some of their stuff is really beautiful. But, they can get old after a while for me...too jam bandy.

Moments in their stuff make me really want to like them more, and in the right mood, on the right songs, I really do like them a lot. Parts of Thousands Now Living Will Be Dead I really enjoy, even the track that takes up a whole album side But they can veer into the most pretentious jam band noodling at other times.

Yeah...I got a real love/hate thing going on with these guys...

Davey
08-11-2004, 09:52 AM
Yeah, I like em. "Djed" especially. I don't like them as much when they get too playful, but they're definitely good musicians. I haven't heard the latest but the cover is a pretty cool painting of an exotic locale that looks almost like a photo. Doug McCombs of course works with all kinds of other bands including on a few favorite albums of mine, Eleventh Dream Day Eighth, Sue Garner and Rick Brown Still (along with Tara Key, Doug Weiselman and Chris Stamey) and Califone Roomsound. Very much worth checking out his expanded discography, even if only for those few albums, although there are many others.

shaemus
08-11-2004, 11:01 AM
I love all their stuff but I have really been digging Standards. I don't tire of it at all but I'm pretty particular about when I play them. I introduced a buddy to them and he concurred that the timing and mood was a big part of the great first impression he had. One of the things I really love about them is that there is alot of experimentation and creativity and varied time signatures etc without sounding too much like a big wank session. There's still a really strong sense of groove/flow/melody to the music. Sometimes a real sense of tension between the sublime and total chaos. (Kinda the way I feel about some of Charles Mingus).

Good recommendations Davey for Doug McCombs side projects. I'll have to check them out. I know that these guys have their hands in alot of other projects and it's surprising that I haven't made the effort to check more of them out. I am familiar with some of John McEntire's other work. I enjoy the two Stereolab LPs he's worked on: Dots and Loops and Emperor Tomato Ketchup.

Davey
08-11-2004, 11:59 AM
I am familiar with some of John McEntire's other work. I enjoy the two Stereolab LPs he's worked on: Dots and Loops and Emperor Tomato Ketchup.
Yeah, good call on the Stereolab albums, especially Emperor Tomato Ketchup which is another big favorite of mine. I think McCombs also helped out some on Dots and Loops. Lot of talent in Tortoise. Definitely check out the Sue Garner album if you get a chance. Very Tortoise-like opening. Really fine album, especially if you like some nice vocals with your grooves. Here's a (slighly freshened) little flashback of mine from the archive, courtesy of Google....

I don't know that it garnered a lot of critical acclaim at the time (2000), but I play it all the time and have used two or three songs on various comps. Very nice album recorded with some of their friends including Chris Stamey of the DB's, Douglas McCombs of Tortoise, Tara Key and Doug Weiselman in the couple's home studio. A little along the lines of Yo La Tengo, but with a more diverse sound including Tortoise-like instrumentals and trip-hop rhythms. They even do a pretty cool, but very minimalist, cover of John Lennon's "It's So Hard" that is nearly a cappella with only a plucked bass as accompaniment. Highly recommended and one of those albums that just gets better with each listen. Just listened to it this morning and it still sounds fresh and groovilicious :)

BTW, meant to say in my last post.....Welcome to the board and keep talking about the music you love! Been kind of slow lately, as I'm sure you've noticed, so always good to hear from new people (especially ones who have an adventurous taste in music, as do most of the other posters around here).

Slosh
08-11-2004, 02:37 PM
I only have Millions Now Living Will Never Die and I like it just fine when I'm in that kind of mood, but usually when in such a mood I grab some June Of 44 instead. Anahata is my favorite but Tropics And Meridians and Four Great Points have some stellar moments as well.

NP: Tracker - Polk