Is this a stupid idea, or am I on to something? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is this a stupid idea, or am I on to something?

RoyY51
08-10-2004, 06:34 PM
The Holy Grail of home theater has always been to reproduce life the way we hear it: with spacial cues emanating from all around us. However, while 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1 place the action around us, they only do so on a horizontal plane. There are no systems (to my knowledge) that address vertical sound cues. Obviously, the only way to do this would be to have twice the number of speakers and twice the number of amplified channels. The speakers would be mounted in pairs, one atop the other, separated by a sufficient distance to give height information. This would, however, likely double the price of the system and price it out of the market for most people (including me).

So, consider this: since (roughly) 60 percent of all audio info is reproduced by the center channel, how about one center channel above the TV and one center channel below. Each speaker would be driven by a separate amplifier. During the majority of scenes on the screen, both channels would be receiving the same information, giving the effect that the sound is coming from the screen (as apposed to above or below, as in current HT setups). Then, when the jumbo jet screams overhead, or when subterranean mayhem occurs, the appropriate cues could be delivered to either the top or bottom center speaker, locating the sound either above or below the action on the screen. Granted, this would not be the perfect solution, but it would only entail buying one more speaker, and having one more channel of amplification.

I'm sure that one (or more) of the mega-conglomerates have already thought of, and discarded this approach, but it just seems to make sense to me. I would appreciate your comments.

uncooked
08-10-2004, 08:12 PM
i have seen alot of systems where people have dual centre channels. Most of the people ive talked to about it have said its mostly becuase they didnt think the dialogue was loud enough in movies.

i see where your coming from definitely i have always wanted to try to wire together 2 of the same amps with the same speakers and just place the speakers around the room. like for the rears on one amp go on the back wall, then the other rears go up on the ceiling above, etc...... provides sound from everywhere but the ground up. I have heard people saying that noise cancelation would happen, but i have never come across this "on my experience" ive never done it with surround but i have had 3 stereo's playing from 1 source, with different speakers even and it sounds great. and if you did everything very equally you wouldnt get an echoe.

depressed
08-10-2004, 11:04 PM
I actually have thought about this. Possibly, the next thing we could have on the market is 10.1 or 14.1.Since the 7.1 setup covers 2 dimensions, i guess the next thing would be to cover the 3rd dimension, the height. I honstly don't know how this could work and who would buy and run cables(???) for 15 or so speakers.LOL

uncooked
08-10-2004, 11:09 PM
think of all the movies where a car, plane, or helicopter flys "or crashes" over you. it would be cool to get some bookshelf or in wall speakers up there on discrete channels.

i can honestly say i think 9.2 would be my perfect HT setup,

fronts
center
rears
sides
ceilings
front and back sub

kpzbee
08-11-2004, 04:11 AM
On my Yamaha, there is a place for 2 more "filler" speakers that add more background when you use their enhanced mode. I don't have any extra speakers to hook up so I haven't tried it yet. These are to be positioned behind the center channel if I remember right. Someone else might be useing these & could add to this.

noddin0ff
08-11-2004, 05:58 AM
The system you want is already in the works. Perhaps home theater will need some compromises but the current system needs only 304 speakers. Start saving!

http://www.iosono-sound.com/
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/05/technology/circuits/05next.html

noddin0ff

kexodusc
08-11-2004, 06:22 AM
I would think sooner or later the "law of diminishing returns" will steer the market away from 9.1, 14.1, and so on...
I really doubt there'll be enough consumer demand to call for a 3rd dimension of speakers to be added. Quite hoenstly, for the 1/2 second the airplane effect happens in a movie, I'm somewhat fooled into believing it is above me. Could be the height of my surrounds?

I just worry that $300 dollar HTIB's will be manufactured with 15 of the crappiest sounding little cube speakers you've ever heard...all crammed into a box that fits in the trunk of a Cavalier.

RoyY51
11-16-2014, 09:53 AM
Well...it's been 10 years. Can you say: "Dolby Atmos"?

TheHills44060
11-16-2014, 11:41 AM
Good one Roy!