What makes a good system? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What makes a good system?

BillB
08-10-2004, 12:09 PM
Room?
Speakers?
Display?
Source?
Amplification?
Processor?
Cables?
Tweaks?
Software?
Money?
Complexity?
Simplicity?
Power?
Frequency Response?
Listening chair?
Mood?

Bill

skeptic
08-10-2004, 04:49 PM
What makes a good picture on a TV set. You know it when you see it. Everything comes together just right. The colors are true and vivid but not oversaturated to being cartoonish. The toughest ones, caucasian flesh tones are just right. The whole range of colors is there as are all of their subtleties of hue. The edges are sharp and the overall image is well focused. You just know it when you see it. Same for sound system. Everything just snaps right in and the sound reminds you of live musicians. All of the tones are there and each instrument is distinct from others even when playing together. And one thing I have noticed on many recordings and that is a musical ringing tone of many instruments (which has nothing to do with spurious ringning of poor sound systems.) This almost bell like quality to pianos, human voices, percussion instruments, and the beautiful powerful, clear yet mellow tone of brass insturments is very clear. You can distinctly tell the difference between an alto and tenor sax. You can here the difference between an oboe and english horn easily. Everything sounds just right. Rare in sound system today. Most are dissapointing and mediocre, just like the music most people use them to play.

mtrycraft
08-10-2004, 09:12 PM
Room?
Speakers?
Display?
Source?
Amplification?
Processor?
Cables?
Tweaks?
Software?
Money?
Complexity?
Simplicity?
Power?
Frequency Response?
Listening chair?
Mood?

Bill

Speakers, room acoustics, software.

skeptic
08-11-2004, 04:18 AM
Cables! Hehehehehehe.

hifimaster
08-11-2004, 05:17 AM
I would say all of the above.

"A system is only as strong as it's weakest link."

James

Woochifer
08-11-2004, 12:19 PM
Whatever sounds best to you within your budget, intended use, and living situation.

mtrycraft
08-11-2004, 08:34 PM
Cables! Hehehehehehe.

But you are right. :) Try to set up a system without them :D

woodman
08-14-2004, 02:13 PM
There is one thing above all others that makes a system "good" or makes it "not good enough" and it doesn't appear on your list, Bill. Of course that's not surprising because it's something so basic that it escapes most everyone's notice.

That one thing is actually comprised of three elements - namely the Attitudes, the Beliefs, and the Expectations of the owner of the system. These three are what I've dubbed the ABEs, and they play the decisive role in separating the satisfieds from the dis-satisfieds in the worlds of audio and video (not to mention everything else in life).

In the final analysis, it's one's ability to control their personal ABEs that ultimately determines whether they have a good audio or home theater system or they have a system that is not quite good enough.

08-14-2004, 11:52 PM
There is one thing above all others that makes a system "good" or makes it "not good enough" and it doesn't appear on your list, Bill. Of course that's not surprising because it's something so basic that it escapes most everyone's notice.

That one thing is actually comprised of three elements - namely the Attitudes, the Beliefs, and the Expectations of the owner of the system. These three are what I've dubbed the ABEs, and they play the decisive role in separating the satisfieds from the dis-satisfieds in the worlds of audio and video (not to mention everything else in life).

In the final analysis, it's one's ability to control their personal ABEs that ultimately determines whether they have a good audio or home theater system or they have a system that is not quite good enough.

Exactly. Which is why everyone should be happy with what they got and enjoy rather than trying to pick out bad points. Oh its too bright. oh not enough bass. oh missing a little bit of dynamics. Time to sit back, have your fav drink and enjoy yourself.

BillB
08-15-2004, 08:37 AM
woodman,

Good points indeed! I like where you've taken this thread.

Bill

tommc
08-15-2004, 01:48 PM
It's easy to get caught up in making the system better; especially because the skies the limit. If you think about it in terms of personal gratification and satisfaction per $100 you spend(or whatever amount), you'll probably find yourself happiest if you just go buy a bunch of CD's. You're bound to find some songs you've never heard that really provide enjoyment. Whenever I think about upgrading a component, I think about how many CD's I'd be able to buy, and I usually end up taking the music. Just my 2 cent philosophy.