Question about Class D subwoofer amp ratings [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Question about Class D subwoofer amp ratings

kexodusc
08-10-2004, 10:02 AM
This might not be in the right forum but here goes: I can't figure out what the impedance is for the associated power rating on the Class D amplifier used on my Paradigm PW-2100 and PW-2200. I'm pretty sure it's low, say 2 ohms or 1 ohm, just not sure exactly though. They both claim: "400 watts RMS (20–150Hz @ < 0.1% THD), 1500 watts Peak" by whatever the FTC standards are...

Paradigm has been no help. They either don't know, or refuse to tell, all they'll respond with is: "all Paradigm subwoofer amplifiers comply with FTC subwoofer amplifier measurement standards." Geez, thanks guys...

Anyone who's ever been to FTC's website knows how difficult finding stuff can be...so here I am at the mercy of the collective pool of knowledge at ar.com...

Anyone know?

This Guy
08-10-2004, 04:40 PM
Most likely it is 4 ohms. It's not gonna be any lower.

Joey

kexodusc
08-10-2004, 04:58 PM
Hmmmm...there's many a Class D amp that handle 2 or even 1 ohms...whether there's 10" and 12" inch woofers made by Paradigm to go with them is another story...I could believe 4 ohms, though I'd expect the amp to be a bit bigger, but class D's are known for efficiency.

This Guy
08-10-2004, 05:01 PM
Yeah but I haven't found any digital subwoofer plate amps that were rated for 2 ohms no matter what price. They are rated conservativley because many subwoofer drivers go below 4 ohms on certain frequencies.

kexodusc
08-11-2004, 03:45 AM
Yeah but I haven't found any digital subwoofer plate amps that were rated for 2 ohms no matter what price. They are rated conservativley because many subwoofer drivers go below 4 ohms on certain frequencies.

Yeah, I couldn't find any 2 ohm rated plate amps either when I built my parent's sub.
Not that I was looking terribly hard, just Parts Express.
This all started with me thinking up a new sub project, then I wondered how much it'd cost me to build something "comparable" to the PW series of subs offered by Paradigm. To do that I have to find a woofer that has similar specs, and of course, the 400 watts of power.
I wanted to stay as close to the design specs of the 2 subs I have now, but I don't think a Class D is going to be the best way to go.

Most Class D amps I've seen are either 1 or 2 ohms. Most plate amps aren't Class D.

This Guy
08-11-2004, 08:01 AM
PE has a 500 watt rms plate amp (in 4 ohms) for $300. Pair that up with the 12" Titanic ($150), 15" DVC ($130), or 15" Titanic ($200). I personally would do the 500 watt amp and 15" DVC. That should be better than the PW series, although bigger and cheaper I believe. ( How much do they cost)?

-Joey

kexodusc
08-11-2004, 09:09 AM
PE has a 500 watt rms plate amp (in 4 ohms) for $300. Pair that up with the 12" Titanic ($150), 15" DVC ($130), or 15" Titanic ($200). I personally would do the 500 watt amp and 15" DVC. That should be better than the PW series, although bigger and cheaper I believe. ( How much do they cost)?

-Joey

I bought both of my Paradigm subs in Canada, one used, one new, but cheaper than I could build a MKIII 12". Work frequently sends me to Canada for a week or two at a time, I should take advantage of the duty free thing and buy Canadian speakers more often...

I did a quick head to head with the MKIII 12" I built for my folks. The difference in power was negligible as both the PW amp and the 500 watt PE have plenty, though I expect at max levels the PE has a bit more juice left. I can honestly say the Paradigm has more bottom end though, just a bit more response into the low 20's I guess.
I'm not interested in the 15" for the same reason I don't like the PW-2200 as much as the PW-2100, the larger woofer. I find them a bit sloppier (not as tight) as a smaller woofer. For HT only, sure the 15" would move air and be preferable, but I listen to concert DVD's and hopefully DVD-A/SACD's soon, and I definitely enjoy the smaller woofers.

All that being said, if you buy the amp, and woofer and build and finish your own cabinets, you can build a MKIII 12" way cheaper than you can buy a PW-2200, and it is a superior value as I find it only gives up a bit of performance at a lower price. The 1000 watt 15" kit can be had for about the same price as the PW-2200 (or cheaper if you build your own cabinets) and be everything you need. Parametric EQ to boot.