Dads b-day TV help please [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dads b-day TV help please

pwh03
08-10-2004, 07:45 AM
My dads 50th is coming up soon and I have been given the job of finding him a new big screen from the family.

I;ve read around a little though I'll be the first to admit my speaker knowledge goes much farther then my TV knowledge

So far we sit about 15 feet from the TV so anything from 43-65 inches would work but something around 50 seems to be the best option for us.

The room is relativly dark with lighting coming in the morning through windows behind the TV. this isn;t much of an issue because we don;t want all that much TV in the morning,

There will be no video games on the TV just DVDs, and cable, plus we have a tivo system down there so I don't see burn in from static images being a problem.

I haven't completely narrowed down a prive range, I'll have to talk with the family about that later but I don't think that should be a problem

I don't really want a front projector the room just doesn;t set itself up for this kind of system

So I've narrowed it down to rear projection DLP, rear projection LCD, and plasma, (I haven't ruled out CRT's but not really leaning in that direction either)

I'm not sure the difference between the multi chip and the singal chip DLP's I understand one dedicates a chip to each color but how that translates on the screen I'm not sure. Nor do I know a lot about rear projection LCD. My knowledge on plasmas is slightly better but still nothing to brag about.

Room for the TV is not a problem there is plenty of it so I don't need a wall hanigng model or anything along those lines.

So which way would you go in my situation and are there any Brands models you suggest I look at?

Any suggestions on where to look. Any stories about internet purchases?

Finally are there any specs that I should look closely at when comparing?

Thanks for any help you can give me
Ph

sy_lu
08-10-2004, 10:49 AM
Multi chips DLP or LCD would be better than single chip. Single chip LCD either uses moasic color filter in front of the pixels or like single chip DLP that uses some kind of filter fly wheel for RGB color light. As a side note, I watch my 60" TV from 13 ft and the size is just right. When I looked at my friend's 50" from 12 ft or so it feels a bit small.

pwh03
08-10-2004, 11:05 AM
i actually took some measurments the farthest seat is about 12 1/2 feet from the tv and the other seats are progressivly closer

woodman
08-10-2004, 02:43 PM
So far we sit about 15 feet from the TV so anything from 43-65 inches would work but something around 50 seems to be the best option for us.

From a distance of 15' you don't want anything as small as a 42" or 43" or 44" or 45" or anything of that sort. In fact, from that distance I wouldn't consider anything smaller than a 57".

I haven't completely narrowed down a prive range, I'll have to talk with the family about that later but I don't think that should be a problem.

You'd better get that statistic ironed out completely before you go falling in love with some set that's outside the budget.

So I've narrowed it down to rear projection DLP, rear projection LCD, and plasma, (I haven't ruled out CRT's but not really leaning in that direction either)

Heads up young fella ... unless the family has excess cash burning holes in the colletive pockets, a CRT-based RPTV is probably your only viable choice. Besides, they are capable of even better picture quality than any of the other display technologies at this point in time. DLP and LCD and Plasma are all "fixed-pixel" displays which translates to less fine detail than what CRTs are capable of. So, I highly recommend that you start "leaning".

I'm not sure the difference between the multi chip and the singal chip DLP's I understand one dedicates a chip to each color but how that translates on the screen I'm not sure. Nor do I know a lot about rear projection LCD. My knowledge on plasmas is slightly better but still nothing to brag about.

Both DLP and LCD displays benefit from using three chips rather than just one, but you should be forewarned that the performance increase (albeit quite small) comes with a VERY stiff pricetag increase. What is called in the funny papers - "sticker-shock". Suffice it to say that even single chip DLP and LCD displays will cost roughly double the price of a comparably sized CRT-based RPTV, and the 3-chip models will probably double that figure once again!

So which way would you go in my situation and are there any Brands models you suggest I look at?

I think I've already spelled out your choice of technology for you ... as to brands, here are some to consider:

1. Toshiba
2. Hitachi
3. Mitsubishi
4. Sharp
5. Samsung

... and here are some brands to avoid at all costs:

1. RCA
2. Zenith
3. Philips (Magnavox)
4. Sony
5. Pioneer
6. Panasonic

Any suggestions on where to look. Any stories about internet purchases?

Sears, Costco, and any other local A/V store. Whatever you do, do not buy a big screen TV set from the internet ... please!

Finally are there any specs that I should look closely at when comparing?

No. Disregard "specs" ... they're virtually meaningless in today's A/V world.

Thanks for any help you can give mePh

You're welcome

pwh03
08-11-2004, 11:33 AM
From a distance of 15' you don't want anything as small as a 42" or 43" or 44" or 45" or anything of that sort. In fact, from that distance I wouldn't consider anything smaller than a 57".

I mentioned later that the viewing distance would only be 12 feet looking at the store though I believe will go with something around 55-65. thanks

Heads up young fella ... unless the family has excess cash burning holes in the colletive pockets, a CRT-based RPTV is probably your only viable choice. Besides, they are capable of even better picture quality than any of the other display technologies at this point in time. DLP and LCD and Plasma are all "fixed-pixel" displays which translates to less fine detail than what CRTs are capable of. So, I highly recommend that you start "leaning".

oh we light are cubans with 100 dollar bills, hehe, ok ok point made a little sinical but oh well, I guess the only way you learn is by making mistakes. looking around some the lcd and DLPS aren't completely out of the range but if the CRT's are better especially for our situation why spend the money. right

I took a little time to look around today and although the plasmas and rear projection LCD and DLPS seem to look a little better on the floor I would assume its only because the CRTs aren't callibrated and your often looking at them a meer few feet away obviously too close for a screen that size.

So now we've narrowed it down to a CRT (thanks woodman) 55-65 inches and to the following brands.
1. Toshiba
2. Hitachi
3. Mitsubishi
4. Sharp
5. Samsung
not necessaily in that order. I'm sure there are other opinions as there are with anything but I have to start somewhere and here seems to be better then most.

So from there saying 3 thousand or less do you have any further suggestions. I'll keep looking relay what I come up with in hopes that i might find a little security in the purchase

thanks again

Ph

pwh03
08-11-2004, 11:52 AM
Mitsubishi 65" Widescreen HD-Ready Rear-Projection TV with DVI Interface - Gray

Model: WS-65313

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051826214649&skuId=5450567&productCategoryId=cat03006&type=product

anything you see wrong with something like this. Its off best buys website but obviously I could buy it somewhere else just surfing around.

Ph

pwh03
08-11-2004, 01:55 PM
I seems to be between hitachi mitsubishi, and toshiba. Though I'm leaning away from toshiba as their prices seem to be a bit higher then the others. Anyone have any reviews on 60-65 inch CRT projection TVs from these brands.

thanks
ph

sy_lu
08-11-2004, 02:32 PM
I have a CRT based 60" Mitsubishi and my friend has a 52" CRT based Toshiba. Although my friend's unit is one year newer than mine, I don't think the image is better in terms of both sharpness and color. Of course a number of people including myself will tell you without puting them side by side and calibrated, it is hard to say which one is really better but this brings up my point that you can just go for some thing you like. Make sure you also play around the remote control not just looking at the picture. I find some TV's remote is beyond logic, especially when it comes aspect ratio. You want to find some thing you can live with.

FWIW, I like my Mitsubishi. It was the last model year they still made 4:3 ratio HDTV. I wanted a 4:3 unit because my current 4:3 vidoe sources far out number 16:9 and I don't see that changes during the expected life time of the TV. I also felt that for a given screen width length, a 4:3 unit gives me more display sq. area than 16:9. When connecting to a HDTV tuner box, the 1080i pictures are excellet. The remote control is simple but well designed. I don't think I can live with either the Toshiba or Panasonic units' remote at the time I brought the unit.

pwh03
08-11-2004, 02:42 PM
it will be mostly for dvd home theater viewing so I'll tak 16 9 as the ratio for me, but thanks for the review

Ph