Yamaha RXV1400 vs RXV750 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha RXV1400 vs RXV750

saul
08-09-2004, 04:48 PM
Is there much difference between these 2 receivers besides the price difference and what would be the better purchase?

pwh03
08-09-2004, 05:22 PM
we need more information what are using the receivers for, what speakers do you have, room size, anything you can tell us would help.

Basically the 1400 has more power but not by a lot and i think it has better video up converesion. component vs S-video if my memory servse me correct. Will you use the receiver for video switching? If so this very well may be helpful. what TV will you be using, are you worried more about music or home theater, stereo? I can' t remember if the 650 allows for a turntable to be connected or not, so if you listen to vinyl then you need to check that.

Give us some more info and we can help more. there are other differencecs in the receivers that I haven't mentioned but those are some.

PH

kexodusc
08-10-2004, 03:55 AM
pwh03 has pretty much addressed all the major differences. The one he omitted was the difference in the YPAO features. The 1400 does some parametric equalizing, which (if done properly and your room agrees with it) can make a few more improvements in the sound. For some people this can be a big deal, for others it might even make things worse (again, depending on the room acoustics). It is a great feature though.
YPAO in the less expensive models doesn't have the parametric eq.
And yes, if you don't have a turntable and don't expect to ever get one, compare the 1400 with the 650 (or the HTR-5790 to the HTR-5760).
At a price difference of $250-$300 or more, it makes you think twice about the decision.

I bought the 1400...it is a better receiver, but I'll never use alot of the extra features. For me the built in Parametric EQ honestly doesn't make much of a difference. At the time the 650/750 etc weren't yet available.
I'd recommend both receivers, but make sure you truly need and will use any features you're paying a premium for.
Just remember, you can "for only a few extra hundred dollars" yourself into bankruptcy in this hobby.

H2okie
08-10-2004, 05:40 AM
So, what you're saying is the main difference between the 650/750 is the ability to plug in a turntable? Also, I thought I had read in another thread that the differnce between the 1400 and 750 is minimal at best.

kexodusc
08-10-2004, 05:58 AM
Also, I thought I had read in another thread that the differnce between the 1400 and 750 is minimal at best.

Uhhh....no, I woudln't say that. The 1400 is definitely a more capable receiver...It's got a bigger power supply, more reserve power, THX certification (worthless IMO) the component video up-conversion, etc...
These all cost money. But the extra power isn't going to make much of a difference most of the time in most applications, though more power is always nice. In my case, I have a really big room and get better results using 2 external power amps anyway...lightens the burden on the receiver, especially with 7 speakers.
I don't use the component video conversion because I run the cables right from the source to the TV, not throught the receiver, so that feature is useless for me. For many others it wouldn't be.

The parametric eq is the main reason I wanted the 1400. There are users that say it made a significant sound improvement in their system. Unfortunately, I can't really tell a clear improvment in mine. But I use it anyway and it's nice to have, maybe someday it will come in handy?

I can honestly believe that for many users the RX-V650 or RX-V750 will be more than enough receiver, and present a better "value" than the RX-V1400.

Think of it like this...if you've only got $1000 to spend to upgrade your system, what will give you the most improvement? The $300 extra for the improved receiver, or $300 extra towards new speakers, a sub, a DVD-A/SACD player, etc.

Depending on your needs, you could answer this both ways.

And yes, I believe the 750 also has 5 watts/channel more power (terribly insignificant) and the phono inputs. Also, the 750 has the better learning remote, which might be a handy feature. But essentially, the units are the same.

terpfanatic
08-12-2004, 03:28 AM
according to yamaha's site, the 750 has component up too, thats the one Im interested in.

kpzbee
08-12-2004, 04:08 AM
I posted this once before somewhere but there are 4 differences in the 650 & the 750.
1 Component up conversion.
2 Phono jack
3 Learning remote
4 5 (?) more watts per channel.

Not much difference but to me it was worth it for the remote & the component up video. I'm planning on getting a big TV later this year. I felt that the 1400 wasn't worth the extra coin for what I'm using it for (mostly HT).

kexodusc
08-12-2004, 04:27 AM
I posted this once before somewhere but there are 4 differences in the 650 & the 750.
1 Component up conversion.
2 Phono jack
3 Learning remote
4 5 (?) more watts per channel.

Not much difference but to me it was worth it for the remote & the component up video. I'm planning on getting a big TV later this year. I felt that the 1400 wasn't worth the extra coin for what I'm using it for (mostly HT).

I stand corrected, I just have the goofy product brochure...difficult to read...I guess component up conversion is handy.

Just curious though, most TV's now have multiple inputs...I can't imagine what benefit there'd be to running an s-video or worse from say a DVD player or whatever to the receiver, and then to the TV, instead of running straight to the TV.
Why add an extra step that will reduce picture quality to the chain?

kpzbee
08-12-2004, 06:39 AM
I do it that way to switch both audio & video at the same time, since the receiver is capable of that. My current TV only has 1 video input so going through the reciever works great. Maybe I'll change when I get a new TV. I just can't see switching mutiple inputs to watch a movie. The other advantage I can see is upconverting, while watching a tape, with an HDTV. Without it, I can only imagine what the picture would be like. :o

kexodusc
08-12-2004, 06:48 AM
Up-converting won't improve the quality anymore than the original source's capability...it will allow you to use only 1 input on your TV though.
Does the receiver have to be turned On to use this feature, or will it pass the signal while in Standby?

As I add more gear, I suppose I might use this someday...My TV has only 4 inputs. I use the standard RCA video for my VCR, component for the satellite and DVD...still got one left.

kpzbee: How do you like the RX-V750? Any complaints, things you'd change or wish you had?
It has the same remote as my 1400...better than some earlier Yammie remotes, still not great though.

H2okie
08-12-2004, 11:35 AM
Oops, I mixed up units. It's the HTR-5790 that's essentially the same, correct?

Uhhh....no, I woudln't say that. The 1400 is definitely a more capable receiver...It's got a bigger power supply, more reserve power, THX certification (worthless IMO) the component video up-conversion, etc...
These all cost money. But the extra power isn't going to make much of a difference most of the time in most applications, though more power is always nice. In my case, I have a really big room and get better results using 2 external power amps anyway...lightens the burden on the receiver, especially with 7 speakers.
I don't use the component video conversion because I run the cables right from the source to the TV, not throught the receiver, so that feature is useless for me. For many others it wouldn't be.

The parametric eq is the main reason I wanted the 1400. There are users that say it made a significant sound improvement in their system. Unfortunately, I can't really tell a clear improvment in mine. But I use it anyway and it's nice to have, maybe someday it will come in handy?

I can honestly believe that for many users the RX-V650 or RX-V750 will be more than enough receiver, and present a better "value" than the RX-V1400.

Think of it like this...if you've only got $1000 to spend to upgrade your system, what will give you the most improvement? The $300 extra for the improved receiver, or $300 extra towards new speakers, a sub, a DVD-A/SACD player, etc.

Depending on your needs, you could answer this both ways.

And yes, I believe the 750 also has 5 watts/channel more power (terribly insignificant) and the phono inputs. Also, the 750 has the better learning remote, which might be a handy feature. But essentially, the units are the same.

pwh03
08-12-2004, 11:49 AM
1400 and the 5790 are almost identical as are the 750 and the 5760... err it might be the 650 and the 5760 I've gotten myself all confused. but the 1400 and the 5790 are definatly almost identical units

kpzbee
08-12-2004, 12:49 PM
Up-converting won't improve the quality anymore than the original source's capability...it will allow you to use only 1 input on your TV though.
Does the receiver have to be turned On to use this feature, or will it pass the signal while in Standby?.
Duh - I guess I did realize that but didn't say it right. Damn keyboard just don't want to co-operate at times! :p Yes, the receiver has to be on as far as I know.

As I add more gear, I suppose I might use this someday...My TV has only 4 inputs. I use the standard RCA video for my VCR, component for the satellite and DVD...still got one left.

kpzbee: How do you like the RX-V750? Any complaints, things you'd change or wish you had?
It has the same remote as my 1400...better than some earlier Yammie remotes, still not great though.

I'm very happy with it! :D I compared the 650, 750 & the 1400 & I felt the 750 was the best bang for my buck. I really didn't compare other brands either. I had my old Yammie for 10 years & never had a problem with it (it's still going strong in the garage) I started looking at them first. After reading on here & a few other sites that they still make a quality unit, I put my money on a new one. With the advise from here, I waited to get the 750 for the YPAO. I feel it's a great feature. My wife like to move things around about 3 times a year, so it pays to have it! :eek:

I actually like my old remote better than this new one but the wife likes the new one better because it's easier to figure out. The feel on the new one isn't great to me. That's one complaint I have with it. I might get a universal remote when I get a new TV.

The only other thing I'd like is a little larger display on the front panel. To hard to read what's going on. My eyes aren't quite the same after all these years! :(

I'd like to add a thank you to all that have helped (& taught) me about the new products. :) I like this board so much that I've been sticking around & trying to help out as much as I can.

kexodusc
08-12-2004, 12:59 PM
I agree with the Remote and Display...(even on the 1400). Not as good as the RX-V795a I had.
Maybe it just takes time?

I personally feel the HTR-5760 and RX-V650 are the best "values" in Yamaha's line right now...my posts on the subject explain why. If you need phono stage or video upconversion, then the 750, too.
I'm quite familiar with the HTR-5760, my neighbor has it and we watch alot of sports over there.

Glad you're enjoying it.
Be careful with this website...it could cost you alot of money :)

kpzbee
08-13-2004, 04:19 AM
Be careful with this website...it could cost you alot of money :)

LOL! Now that's the truth. :D When I bought the receiver, I ended up buy 3 Paradigm speakers that cost more than the receiver! :eek: This is thanks to this board! LOLOL Don't worry - I'm not complaining by any means. We were watching a movie the other night & when a plane sound came on, my wife was looking outside! :D :D I just laughed. She said she now realized the importance of good surround sound. :cool: hehe