In-wall speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : In-wall speakers

colman77
08-09-2004, 07:48 AM
We just had an addition put on our house, and just for the heck of it, we had the builders thread speaker wires to certain places on the walls. It was kind of a spur-of-the-moment decision, which we are now glad we made.
Only one problem: We don't have any speakers.
We don't want anything ugly up there on the wall, so we thought these (http://www.stealthacoustics.com/pages/technical_info.htm) might be nice. They will be used, probably, for nothing more demanding than listening to CD's, and possibly TV/DVD.
Will these speakers live up to our needs? Is there any competition for in-wall speakers, or at least speakers that would have a low profile on a wall, that we should look at before we buy?
Also, the above link makes it sound like the speakers blow out fairly easily. Given what these speakers will be used for, is this a real concern? Also, with these speakers, are any kinds of amps I should stay away from?

TIA

RGA
08-09-2004, 09:30 AM
There are plenty of speaker makers - if you like the Stealth - never heard of them myself - that's fine. B&W is maybe the biggest high end speaker maker going and perhaps you want to check out what they offer - the speakers will also be invisible with the covers but they have a very wide selection. B&W is not dirt cheap but their build quality is very good and generally sound very good. http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.ranges/label/Range%20In%20wall%20Series

gonefishin
08-09-2004, 10:18 AM
Hi colman77 :)

Sounds like some in wall speakers will be a good option for you...and you saved some good money (and head aches) by getting done while the house is being built. It can be a bit of a pain once construction is complete.

I wish I could give you something more than words of congratulations, but I really don't have much experience with in wall speakers. I've noticed the B&W in wall speakers before...but never had any reason to listen to them (because this wasn't an option for me at the time)...but as RGA mentioned...it may be a good place to start.

have fun! :D

rga...how's your father doing? Hope things are going well>>>>>>>

take care all,
dan

RGA
08-09-2004, 10:59 AM
Gonefishin

Thanks for your concern. My Dad passed away on July 26th. He started chemo Wed,Thurs and Friday and because Chemo destroys the stomach lining he had bleeding in his stomach. We went to the hospital on Sunday the 25th after 3 days of diorhea - other than he had no pain. 2am Monday morning he passed away.

It was very fast diagnosed June 16th to July 26th. I just graduated on the 6th with my B.A. in English and History(still have a year an half for the education degree) and he had hoped to see me graduate. But alas it was not meant to be.

lattybuck
08-09-2004, 02:54 PM
It was very fast diagnosed June 16th to July 26th. I just graduated on the 6th with my B.A. in English and History(still have a year an half for the education degree) and he had hoped to see me graduate. But alas it was not meant to be.

I gone thru thru the cancer thing with some few relatives and a few friends before. I am glad to hear your father didn't have much pain. And I hope your ok. I know people appreciate your help. Me especially.
Take care

skeptic
08-09-2004, 03:15 PM
A good alternative to the typical in wall speakers you buy made for this purpose is to mount a shelf on the far side of the wall and place a bookshelf speaker on it with an opening just the right size for the speaker. This allows the front of the speaker to be flush with the wall presenting a very nice framed appearance. You can choose speakers that will far outperform anything I've seen from the in wall speaker manufacturers. The practicality of this depends on what you have on the other side of the wall. If it is for example an equipment closet for a home theater, it's fine. If it's your dining room, that could be a problem. BTW, this is typical in corporate multimedia rooms and auditoriums.

gonefishin
08-09-2004, 04:49 PM
Gonefishin

Thanks for your concern. My Dad passed away on July 26th. He started chemo Wed,Thurs and Friday and because Chemo destroys the stomach lining he had bleeding in his stomach. We went to the hospital on Sunday the 25th after 3 days of diorhea - other than he had no pain. 2am Monday morning he passed away.

:( RGA...so sorry to hear about your father passing. I'm only guessing...but I get the feeling your father had much to be proud of...as well you do.

dan