Interconnect for music [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Interconnect for music

BJG718
08-08-2004, 06:41 PM
Hello,
Here is my system... Harman Kardon 525, Klipsch SB-2, Klipsch SB-3, Klipsch RW-8, Onkyo 390 cd player. I am planning on getting Canare 4s11 for speaker wire. I have not yet decided on a subwoofer cable. I have not decided on an interconnect for the cd player to receiver yet, either. My problem is I do not know what interconnect to get. I dont know if I need a digital or analog cable, but it will be a strictly music listening system and I would probably want to use some of the digital processing functions on the receiver such as Logic7...Does this mean I would need a digital cable? If so, I would probably be getting a DH-Labs D-75. Any suggestions for other cables roughly in that price range for my particular system??
-Brendan

mtrycraft
08-08-2004, 09:25 PM
Hello,
Here is my system... Harman Kardon 525, Klipsch SB-2, Klipsch SB-3, Klipsch RW-8, Onkyo 390 cd player. I am planning on getting Canare 4s11 for speaker wire. I have not yet decided on a subwoofer cable. I have not decided on an interconnect for the cd player to receiver yet, either. My problem is I do not know what interconnect to get. I dont know if I need a digital or analog cable, but it will be a strictly music listening system and I would probably want to use some of the digital processing functions on the receiver such as Logic7...Does this mean I would need a digital cable? If so, I would probably be getting a DH-Labs D-75. Any suggestions for other cables roughly in that price range for my particular system??
-Brendan

If your player has digital out, use a video cable for that cable. No need to sepnd extra just to have a different label on the same cable, right.
How much are those Canar cables? Any reason why you selected them instead of a no name 12 ga wire?
You can also use video cables to your sub or just plain old interconnects, audio type.
Radio Shack has cables, Home Depot has speaker cables, or on line for both at www.partsexpress.com

BJG718
08-08-2004, 10:45 PM
The reason I decided on the Canare cables as opposed to home depot or radioshack was because of the reviews on this website. I do believe there is very little difference in speaker wires, however, I also believe that the differences are enough to justify spending an extra 30 cents a foot for speaker cable. I could spend between 30 and 35 cents for home depot wire, or i could spend 69 cents for the Canare. Spending over 75 bucks on speaker wire i think is absurd. I think the more important part would be to spend it on an interconnect.
As to the first post, would a digital video cable be best for music? I would be using some digital modes...

chimera128
08-09-2004, 04:17 AM
I would get an optical cable to hookup your cd player to your receiver.

This Guy
08-09-2004, 06:10 AM
Most of the reviews are heavily biased and really shouldn't be a deciding factor when buying a product.

This Guy
08-09-2004, 06:17 AM
And to answer your previous question. Yes a video cable works great, and it's wat I'm doing. The RCA video and audio cables are all exactly the same on the inside whether they are labelled (composite, component, or subwoofer cables). I payed $15 for some acoustic research A/V cables (red, white, yellow) for my component conection as opposed to the "component" that were $25 or so. And I use a $5 radio shack gold plated rca cable for the digital audio in my system via "coaxial output" on the dvd player.

-Joey

mtrycraft
08-09-2004, 04:02 PM
The reason I decided on the Canare cables as opposed to home depot or radioshack was because of the reviews on this website. I do believe there is very little difference in speaker wires, however, I also believe that the differences are enough to justify spending an extra 30 cents a foot for speaker cable. I could spend between 30 and 35 cents for home depot wire, or i could spend 69 cents for the Canare. Spending over 75 bucks on speaker wire i think is absurd. I think the more important part would be to spend it on an interconnect.
As to the first post, would a digital video cable be best for music? I would be using some digital modes...

You are right, $.30/ft or $69/ft is not that big a deal :) unless you buy a lot.

If you send your music in the digital domain, you do need a coax cable, video/digital, they are the same except the 'digital' may be more expensive because of perception that it should be more.

If you send analog, either analog audio or video will be fine. No evidence of audible differences between them. Since you have Canar speaker wire, they may have the video and audio interconnect too at a reasonable price. Then they will at least all look similar. :)