Need Help w/ new Sony STRDE897 Receiver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need Help w/ new Sony STRDE897 Receiver

rgosse
08-08-2004, 01:36 PM
I just purchased a Sony STRDE897 receiver yesterday. The salesperson told me this enabled me to use multiple sources through the receiver.
I have 4 speakers - 2 hooked up on A inside and 2 hooked up on B outside. In addition to the speakers, we have a 100 CD changer and TV hooked up through the receiver.

I want to be able to watch the TV inside using the A Speakers, while simultaneously have the CD player going and using the outside B speakers.

Can I do this? And, if so, how do I hook it up to do this or program the receiver to do this? The manual tells me nothing...Help!

Audioman00
08-08-2004, 03:14 PM
The ONLY way you can do this is if the receiver is truly a multi-zone receiver. The Sony must have a thing called ZONE 2. If indeed this receiver has a zone 2 capability, then the b channels on the amp will produce the sound from the second source. What you have to identify on the receiver is: Does it say zone 2 anywhere on the unit? also: Find out if the sony will let you output a second source at the same time another is on, example: I'm playing a CD, but I want the radio station thats on to play through the zone 2 section. If it has this capablity, then you will find in the manual, that you can set the rec out to another source, or actaully have the B side of the amp play the other source. Try these out and reply. -audioman

markw
08-08-2004, 03:15 PM
What you want is multi zone capabilities, whereby different sources can be fed to two different outputs. Many receivers that offer this capability utililize line level outputs, which feed an additional power amp and speakers in the other zone. Some, not all, also utilize the rfeceiver's internal power amps if the main system only utilizes 5 of the possible 7 channels. Some more current Denons offer this option. Dunno about yours. Check your owners manual or query the salesman.

The A and B speaker switch generally offers running a pair of stereo speakers in another location, which share the hsource and power amps with the main L/R speakers. This does not allow separate sources in each location. This is a fairly common item and is on virtually all modern (and most vintage as well) receivers in all price ranges.

Audioman00
08-08-2004, 03:20 PM
Try the manual again to see if you need an external amp or if you can use the B channels. The sony website said: (• 2nd Zone Audio Ouput ) so there is a way.

rgosse
08-08-2004, 03:57 PM
It does have a zone 2; but the manual says this is for output to a stereo amplifier in another room. It says:
"The audio source changes cyclically as follows: SOURCE 1->MD/TAPE ->SA-CD/CD ->
TUNER2"
1) The audio signals of the current INPUT SELECTOR is output.
2) The audio signals of the last selected TUNER function (AM/FM) is output.

Does this mean I have to have a 2nd receiver/amp for this to work?

markw
08-08-2004, 04:08 PM
Does this mean I have to have a 2nd receiver/amp for this to work?

Yes.

You need at least a power amp in the other room. Unless you can control the volume of the second zone fron the Sony or the power amp has level controls, you'll need an integrated amp (or a receiver) in the other room.

Which brings to my mind another question. I've always found multi zone to be a bit overrated. Since one must get hold of an integrated amp in the first place, why not just go for a two channel receiver since the cost is comprable. For that matter, DVD/CD players are certainly cheap enough. Why not simply get hold of one of them for the second system also?

Now, you don't even need to feed the signal from one room to another!

Of course, if you happen to have a 2 channel amp/receiver laying around or you can utilize the amplification of the main receiver then, in my best Emily Litella whine, never mind.