$150 Stereo Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : $150 Stereo Speakers

Gilligan
08-08-2004, 11:19 AM
Right now I own a Sherwood RD-7103 reciever that cost $120.
basically this one:
http://www.sherwoodusa.com/prod_rd7108.html (http://)

I own a Jensen 5.1 Channel Speaker set that cost $100.

Then I decided to upgrade (may have downgraded) the two front speakers oh my Jensen set to KLH L853b 3-way speakers for $20.

I got all that stuff on sale at Circuit City. I am not sure it is very good equipment.

I was thinking of upgrading my front two speakers, again. I will spend about $150. What should I look into? :)

Also, can someone tell me how bad my stereo is. Is my reciever any good? Be blunt. :)

markw
08-08-2004, 12:52 PM
For what you paid, that Sherwood isn't bad. I got one for my stepson for Christmas last year and neither of us regret it. There isn't too much in that range that will better it. In fact, I can't think of any.

Now, if you want people to compare it to systems costing much more, that's like putting a "kick me" sign on your back. My Denon 2082 goes louder, cleaner and deeper but, for what I paid for it, It d*mn well better!

As for a pair of $150 speakers that rock, you might want to look at Athena Audition's AS-B1 speakers, which are available localy at Best Buy or over the net at http://www.audioadvisor.com..

As the Jonas Grumby would say, "Hang in there, little buddy"

Bryan
08-09-2004, 06:26 AM
For $150 for the pair, my advice to you would be to go used. It can be difficult to find something in this price range that is quality and will last you for many years to come. By far, used gear is your best bet. Look for brands such as B&W, Def Tech, NHT, Ascend Acoustics, Axiom Audio, Paradigm, PSB, Magnepan, nOrh, Onix, Swan, etc.

markw
08-09-2004, 07:55 AM
Maggies on that receiver would be a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiig mistake.

matt39
08-09-2004, 08:26 AM
I'll second markw's recommendation of the Athena Technology AS-B1. You might also consider the Paradigm Atom if you have a local dealer. Both of these speakers sound good on their own and if paired with a decent subwoofer will provide very good full range sound. Since you seem to like Circuit City you might want to look around there for closeouts or demos on Infinity and Polk Audio speakers. They seem to be having some model changovers and the stores in my area had some pretty good deals. I do think you can better your current Jensen/KLH sound but it will require careful shopping at your price point. Hope this helps and good luck.

RGA
08-09-2004, 09:21 AM
For the money you paid it's probably reasonable. Agree with the person who said buy used - not a fan of the Athena's - Circuit city probably sells Polk as well so check them out - but for $150.00 I would do your homework and get a list of about 10-20 speakers around 10-25 years old. Then be patient check out pawn shops and high end dealer's USED section and you may get something very very good in good condition that will probably beat most current $1k speakers.

My Wharfedale Vanguards for instance I think is a better(in many but not all areas) than speakers currently selling for $2k. They sold for $2200US in 1987-1992 and you could proably get them for $350.00 now. This is but one example among thousands. Yeah you might need to spend $40.00 a year later to get the rubber surrounds re-done or the contour controls lubricated - but it plays louder than most all sub 2k speakers with a fatigue free top end. They were Wharfedale's best before the company tanked in the early 1990's.

I digress - ask your question on the vintage AND or the speaker forum at Audio Asylum - IMO stuff like the Paradigm Atom is a total joke for $149.00Cdn bright tinny weak bass no midrange coherence thumpy and can't play loud. It's basically a sub satellite speaker - typically the worst music systems are sub satellite unless you plan to spend considerably more money. The Atom is not bad against other new $150.00Cdn standmounts - but you could get a 10 year old 1k speaker - and contrary to popular opinion older speakers and designs can be much better than new ones - not always but they can be. http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/index.html

Jimmy C
08-09-2004, 02:04 PM
[QUOTE=Gilligan]Right now I own a Sherwood RD-7103 reciever that cost $120.
basically this one:
http://www.sherwoodusa.com/prod_rd7108.html (http://)

I own a Jensen 5.1 Channel Speaker set that cost $100.

Then I decided to upgrade (may have downgraded) the two front speakers oh my Jensen set to KLH L853b 3-way speakers for $20.

I got all that stuff on sale at Circuit City. I am not sure it is very good equipment.

I was thinking of upgrading my front two speakers, again. I will spend about $150. What should I look into? :)

Also, can someone tell me how bad my stereo is. Is my reciever any good? Be blunt. :)[/QUOTE

...wanna take a chance ;*) ... I'll sell my Dayton BR1 speakers... these were a kit that I built (PartsExpress.com) This web also has a chat for opinions and info...

I can GUARANTEE they sound better than the Atoms, the Titans (I have these also) and IMO, the lower Athenas - WAY too much box noise. The cabinets on these are very thin, no getting around that.

I'm in a small condo and I wouldn't mind making some closet room... if you are in the N.Y. area you are welcome over for a listen...

Mechanically and cosmetically mint, original packaging, instructions, I'll double-box and have my wife send (she works for a surveillance (sp?) camera company, they send similar weight boxes all the time). $140 for the speakers, you pay shipping ($20 in U.S., maybe?) The pair is fairly heavy at 45ish lbs.

I never recommend "buying without hearing", but in that price range, something has to give. I would honestly rather see you get something satisfying, while I make some room!

You can also do a search on "AudioAsylum.com" (in "Speakers")... a few others have built this kit and it reviews favorably.

Any Q's, e me at newboy321@aol.com

Good luck!

drseid
08-10-2004, 05:06 AM
Bryan's recommendation to look at the used speaker market makes a lot of sense to me...

If you *really* want new speakers, however, then maybe the Norh 3.0s are what you are looking for. I confess I am not a fan of the Norh looks at all, but I can't knock their sound. So if the looks don't send you running, the 3.0s offer good value for the money.

The downside is you have to buy them mail order direct, so you most likely won't be able to hear them before buying...

---Dave