Old newbie: do I need to upgrade my receiver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Old newbie: do I need to upgrade my receiver

JimC.
08-08-2004, 06:12 AM
I found out the old Bose AM5 Series 1 speakers have to go, so my question is do I need to recycle the 1987 Onkyo TX-RV47 AV receiver? 55W a side, remote control, loudness, and seems OK and even has 4 channel matrix button as well as the older 2 channel. 55W and 20-30,000 coverage, seems OK to me.

I'm older now but will only be using it in a large 20x30' open living-dining-kitchen area for softer music like jazz, Sunday a.m. opera, and the occasional Sat. night party. Probably won't ever use more than 30-40% of the output.

Any thoughts?

I think it's OK and should deliver clean sound to some new speakers not yet bought, but I'm not sure if this is a sound decision, no pun intended? :rolleyes:

TIA, Jim

pwh03
08-08-2004, 06:22 AM
I don't see why you couldn't use it, I'd demo a couple new things just to make sure you weren't missing anything but as long as your happy with it no reason to change. If your not worried about getting much volume then I would think the 55 watts would be fine espescially with a more efficent speaker.

have fun and welcome back
Ph

This Guy
08-08-2004, 06:30 AM
Seems fine, but if you want real surround sound (dolby digital 5.1 and DTS) you're going to need a new receiever and more speakers. But if you want to keep it a simple two channel system, I don't see any need in upgrading it. Since those Bose speakers are fairly inefecient, new speakers will probably go louder.

-Joey

mtrycraft
08-08-2004, 03:21 PM
I found out the old Bose AM5 Series 1 speakers have to go, so my question is do I need to recycle the 1987 Onkyo TX-RV47 AV receiver? 55W a side, remote control, loudness, and seems OK and even has 4 channel matrix button as well as the older 2 channel. 55W and 20-30,000 coverage, seems OK to me.

I'm older now but will only be using it in a large 20x30' open living-dining-kitchen area for softer music like jazz, Sunday a.m. opera, and the occasional Sat. night party. Probably won't ever use more than 30-40% of the output.

Any thoughts?

I think it's OK and should deliver clean sound to some new speakers not yet bought, but I'm not sure if this is a sound decision, no pun intended? :rolleyes:

TIA, Jim

From your needs and intentions, what is wrong with the Bose?

You may want to borrow some speakers and see how it will do in your room. This will also test your current receiver.

hifitommy
08-08-2004, 03:37 PM
"From your needs and intentions, what is wrong with the Bose?"

better than the tv speakers BUT not better than nearly ANYTHING else. this is an example of your great advice.

get thee to some polk speakers asap. similar price, WAY better sound, available from circ city where the bose were bought in the first place (most likely) and if its in the first year, they will give full credit in trade.

JimC.
08-08-2004, 06:55 PM
speakers and it was very clear to me Bose had to go. Flat boomy base, no 200-400 range, and just no comparison.

Since I live in Canada, the Circuit City stuff doesn't work, since C-C doesn't exist here. thanks anyhow, appreciated. Jim

This Guy
08-08-2004, 07:47 PM
tommy, mtry's point was asking what about the Bose's the owner didn't like. If the owner liked them and wanted to upgrade just because this board said he should that would be a waste of money. Basically why fix something if it ain't broken.

mtrycraft
08-08-2004, 09:11 PM
tommy, mtry's point was asking what about the Bose's the owner didn't like. If the owner liked them and wanted to upgrade just because this board said he should that would be a waste of money. Basically why fix something if it ain't broken.

Yep, you have no problem reading my post:)
The poster didn't indicate why the Bose had to go. Maybe as you stated. Maby it was broken.
Your last sentence is it.

mtrycraft
08-08-2004, 09:14 PM
"From your needs and intentions, what is wrong with the Bose?"

better than the tv speakers BUT not better than nearly ANYTHING else. this is an example of your great advice.

get thee to some polk speakers asap. similar price, WAY better sound, available from circ city where the bose were bought in the first place (most likely) and if its in the first year, they will give full credit in trade.

Perhaps you should practice reading and understanding the problem before you open.
As usual, it is irrelevant if I have listened to bose or not.
But then, who said you know what to advise about, right.

mtrycraft
08-08-2004, 09:17 PM
speakers and it was very clear to me Bose had to go. Flat boomy base, no 200-400 range, and just no comparison.

Since I live in Canada, the Circuit City stuff doesn't work, since C-C doesn't exist here. thanks anyhow, appreciated. Jim

OK. Then you need to select a set of speakers to try and you like. Then we can discuss the receiver issue. What you have may work out after all to meet your listed needs.