The Who:Who's Next (remaster) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Who:Who's Next (remaster)

3-LockBox
12-05-2003, 06:15 PM
I have a confession. I've heard most of the songs on this album on the radio long ago till the present; and I've heard whole Who albums like <i>Who Are You</i> and <i>Face Dances</i>, but I've never listened to <i>Who's Next</i> all the way through until now. I bought the remastered edition with the bonus songs on it. I'm amazed how well this holds up as an album so so many years after its release. It sounds so much more modern and relevant than <i>Tommy</i>, which to me sounds like any othe r'rock-opera' of the period.

The 'extra' songs are better than most other re-release bonus tracks. But although some are listed as 'previously unreleased', most of these songs were released on <i>Odds & Sods</i> a few years later. And as always, there is one song I can do without, like an umpteenth remake of Marvin Gaye's 'Baby Don't You Do It' (what's the infatuation some rock acts have with this song?). IMHO, any song appearing after 'Won't Get Fooled Again' will automatically sound irrelevant in context, so I like to reprogram the tracks for playback, letting 'Won't Get Fooled Again' play last.

If you already have this CD and <i>Odds & Sods</i>, then you may as well buy something different. (since finding Goldwave, I don't 're-purchase' albums just to hear the remastered version) This CD sounds about as good any recent remaster, depending on how receptive you are to CD sound. My experience with other Who albums on CD have been disappointing, so I can't wait to hear Face Dances remastered.

jack70
12-06-2003, 07:08 AM
...This CD sounds about as good any recent remaster, depending on how receptive you are to CD sound. My experience with other Who albums on CD have been disappointing, so I can't wait to hear Face Dances remastered.

That album is certainly worthy of classic status, and I think it's gotten a lot of consideration from a lot of board members here on such lists. I'd agree it's of consistently high quality throughout, and the change of tempo & mood just make it stronger, as a complete album, than all but very few Rock albums.

Now, as to the remaster etc..
One of my early "complaints" with this album was the "breakup" (distortion) of RP's vocal on the last verse (scream) of "Won't get fooled.." I thought it was just my cartridge, or the groove being poorly pressed. But I've heard it since on the radio many times.... and it still (always) has that breakup. I don't have any CD issue of it, so my question is (to anyone): is it just an original overmodulation of the mic/input level in the studio (on the orig tape), or is it "cleaned up" on any "new" digital versions.

Doesn't take away from the music, but it's always bugged me. If it IS indeed from original oversaturation of the electronics, the engineer should have re-dubbed the track on the spot (IMHO).

Slosh
12-06-2003, 08:12 AM
Just got done clearing the snow off my walks and driveway and found your surprise package. Thanks, now I have some new (to me) stuff to listen to while snowed in :)

I'm listening to "Smoking The Day Away" by May Blitz as I type. I take it "Best heard on a state-of-the-art audio system" is tongue-in-cheek ;)

Want a copy of my year-ender?