Current problem?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Current problem??

brian_tr
08-07-2004, 04:53 PM
I upgraded my reciever in the living room from a Yamaha 795a to a 1400. I moved the 795a to the bedroom. I bought paradigm Cinema 90's with a PDR10 sub for it. Everything sounds good but the display on the reciever display dims when turned up like it may not be getting enough current. I tried plugging it into another circuit from another bedroom that has nothing on it and still the same thing. Not sure what could be wrong. The speakers I had hooked to it in the living room where paradigm monitor 7's with PDR12 sub and it did not do it. Any Idea's. Not sure if it hurting anything.

Rich-n-Texas
08-07-2004, 06:37 PM
Brian,

Are you using heavy enough gauge speaker wire? Many years ago, I had a stereo with a lighted tuner dial that would keep beat with the music when I turned it up. I don't know if that's what you're talking about, but I'd be sure your speaker wire is thick enough for the output power you're driving into the speakers.

Rich

audiohead
08-07-2004, 07:14 PM
Make sure your wires are not shorting at the terminals.

brian_tr
08-08-2004, 12:16 AM
That is exactly what it is doing. I am using 16 gauge wire. I thought that would be plenty for bookshelf speakers. I watched The Three Musketeers last night. These speakers are Awesome. Looks like I made a good choice. I am a little worried however about the reciever having to much power for them. They are rated at 50 watts. Will just have to what how much I turn it up.

Brian,

Are you using heavy enough gauge speaker wire? Many years ago, I had a stereo with a lighted tuner dial that would keep beat with the music when I turned it up. I don't know if that's what you're talking about, but I'd be sure your speaker wire is thick enough for the output power you're driving into the speakers.

Rich

bboy1234
08-09-2004, 07:23 AM
Check on the back of your receiver to see if there is a impedance switch and to make sure its set to the same as your speakers.(4 ohm, 8 Ohm ect.)

bboy1234
08-14-2004, 10:00 AM
well did ya find out what the problem was?

skeptic
08-14-2004, 10:10 AM
Your problem is simple and has nothing to do with your speaker wire. Every time there is a strong bass pulse, the power supply is pulling so much current out of the wall to recharge the capacitors that the voltage in your house is dropping. I've done that too with a high powered amplifier in my own house. You may even see incandescent ceiling and table lamps dim as well. You may experience a similar effect whenever other heavy duty appliances with inductive loads are switched on such as a large television set, the compressor in your air conditioner, or even your refrigerator compressor, washing machine motor, or dishwasher motor. Short of rewiring your house, there is probably nothing you can do about it. You might try a ferroresonant voltage stabalizer transformer from Sola. They are available at some electrical supply houses which carry that brand. That's about the only thing that might help.

brian_tr
08-14-2004, 02:13 PM
I switched the impedance switch to 8 ohms. The speakers did not have a impedance listed on them. I checked the web site and it said comptable with 8 ohm systems. My dealer had told me to put it on 6 & 4 ohm switch. I have not noticed any problem lately. I also have not turned it up as much. Not sure how much the speakers will take so I have been taking it easy on them.